Studs/broodmares that never should've left the states

othybat_99

Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:36 pm

I don't know if there is already a thread for this topic, but if there is, link it to this one. Anyways, I was just pondering about the mares and studs who left the states for Japan, or somewhere in the SH. Examples of some of my favorites like Animal Kingdom, Caledonia Road, British Idiom, and Jaywalk, obviously there are many more, but those are some greats I think could have stayed in America, who are some more?
“I play a little guitar, write a few tunes, make a few movies, but none of that's really me. The real me is something else.” - George Harrison
Akitaperson

Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:02 pm

That's tough because some stallions flounder while being in America but really shine when they go to another country

Sunday Silence is one that did come to mind. It would've been interesting to see what he produced here before he made his dynasty in Japan
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:10 am

This is probably only halfway on topic at best, but I have always wished that the best American turf fillies and mares (or turf mares that were based/trained in America) would have been bred to our turf sires more. The best turf mares are pretty much always bred to the most commercial stallions (i.e. Tapit, Into Mischief) or go overseas, which I am not against at all, but if Kitten's Joy (for example) was able to accomplish what he did being supported mostly by his owners' "???" mares for many years, imagine if he had gotten mares like Lady Eli. I was hoping she would be sent to Kitten's Joy since they were both at Hill 'n Dale but alas.

Similarly I have wondered what would happen if he had gotten better dirt mares.

Thankfully we do have stallions that are successful on all surfaces (i.e. MDO) and stallions that on the surface are only turf but capable of siring more diverse offspring (i.e. Oscar Performance).
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
stelladaniella

Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:30 pm

I really wished Tizway would of stayed in America. However he was well cared for and received good support in both SK and Turkey.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Missbeholder

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:02 pm

I've always loved and revered Claiborne Farm for their steadfast and determined efforts to practice responsible stewardship of the Thoroughbred breed. They are a true light in that regard, especially in comparison to a few of their counterparts.

But back in 1995, they let two stallions go to Japan which broke my heart. And these two stallions had life outcomes that could not possibly have been more opposite. One had a heartwarming ending and the other unspeakably tragic. They were Forty Niner and Ferdinand.

Forty Niner had what I guess was a fairly successful stud career in Japan, but in the end, what he was most noted for was how much the Japanese adored him! He was pensioned back in 2007 when his fertility suddenly fell off a cliff. But his Japanese connections repeatedly resisted attempts from American establishments (including multiple tries by Michael Blowen) to bring him back home to the USA. Time finally won the battle, as it always does, and in 2020, Forty Niner finally passed away in Japan at age 35.......13 years after he was pensioned!

And then there was Ferdinand. Enough said except that about 6 or 7 years after he was sent overseas, the news reached us here of his despicable demise, largely due to his complete failure as a stallion, causing a major crack for him to fall through. It wasn't in vain, thankfully, because the outrage it generated caused huge reforms in international sales agreements to prevent such horrible tragedies from happening again.

I'm sure that horses are still being slaughtered in Japan (and plenty of other places as well), but the.humiliation and public relations disaster which befell the Japanese industry over it pretty much insured that slaughter would never again happen to a Kentucky Derby/BC Classic winner, and likely not to any American-bred horse that came into their hands.

Anyway, those are the two stallions that we lost to overseas sale that bothered me the most!
Flanders

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:54 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:02 pm I've always loved and revered Claiborne Farm for their steadfast and determined efforts to practice responsible stewardship of the Thoroughbred breed. They are a true light in that regard, especially in comparison to a few of their counterparts.

But back in 1995, they let two stallions go to Japan which broke my heart. And these two stallions had life outcomes that could not possibly have been more opposite. One had a heartwarming ending and the other unspeakably tragic. They were Forty Niner and Ferdinand.

Forty Niner had what I guess was a fairly successful stud career in Japan, but in the end, what he was most noted for was how much the Japanese adored him! He was pensioned back in 2007 when his fertility suddenly fell off a cliff. But his Japanese connections repeatedly resisted attempts from American establishments (including multiple tries by Michael Blowen) to bring him back home to the USA. Time finally won the battle, as it always does, and in 2020, Forty Niner finally passed away in Japan at age 35.......13 years after he was pensioned!

And then there was Ferdinand. Enough said except that about 6 or 7 years after he was sent overseas, the news reached us here of his despicable demise, largely due to his complete failure as a stallion, causing a major crack for him to fall through. It wasn't in vain, thankfully, because the outrage it generated caused huge reforms in international sales agreements to prevent such horrible tragedies from happening again.

I'm sure that horses are still being slaughtered in Japan (and plenty of other places as well), but the.humiliation and public relations disaster which befell the Japanese industry over it pretty much insured that slaughter would never again happen to a Kentucky Derby/BC Classic winner, and likely not to any American-bred horse that came into their hands.

Anyway, those are the two stallions that we lost to overseas sale that bothered me the most!
Frances Genter's heirs approached Seth about buying Unbridled from them because he was not syndicated at that time and they were tired of getting offers. Seth had to make the tough decision to sell Forty Niner to raise some of the money needed to buy Unbridled. If Forty Niner stayed, Unbridled would have went to Japan instead. Which means no American Pharoah or countless other horses. I liked Forty Niner, I was sad to see him go but I'm happier that we got to keep Unbridled even if it was for just a short time.
RachelAlexandra24

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:22 pm

Eskendereya, he was absolutely very well taken care of in Japan but he was a great sire here and I wish he’d never have left. Also Bricks and Mortar, we need a good Giants Causeway heir in the U.S. especially after losing Midnight Bourbon prematurely.
Flanders

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:27 pm

RachelAlexandra24 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:22 pm Eskendereya, he was absolutely very well taken care of in Japan but he was a great sire here and I wish he’d never have left. Also Bricks and Mortar, we need a good Giants Causeway heir in the U.S. especially after losing Midnight Bourbon prematurely.
We have Not This Time and Midnight Bourbon was by Tiznow.
Izvestia

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:20 pm

RachelAlexandra24 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:22 pm Eskendereya, he was absolutely very well taken care of in Japan but he was a great sire here and I wish he’d never have left. Also Bricks and Mortar, we need a good Giants Causeway heir in the U.S. especially after losing Midnight Bourbon prematurely.
“Great”? That term is so crazily used.
stelladaniella

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:47 am

I wonder where Classic Causeway will end up, speaking of the offspring of Giant's Causeway. I hope he'll be given a fair chance in the states.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
othybat_99

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:56 am

stelladaniella wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:47 am I wonder where Classic Causeway will end up, speaking of the offspring of Giant's Causeway. I hope he'll be given a fair chance in the states.
CC most definitely deserves a chance here :)
“I play a little guitar, write a few tunes, make a few movies, but none of that's really me. The real me is something else.” - George Harrison