Daredevil

TapitsGal

Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:01 pm

Gutsy win in the oaks by shedaresthedevil...does WinStar book a plane to bring him home yet? Or at least regret selling him? Since his offspring just ran 1-2 in the oaks?
Flanders

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:20 pm

In my opinion, I don't think Winstar or the syndicate would care at this point. They'll wait to see how another crop does, if the next crop doesn't perform well then it will justify their decision to sell him. He could get another G1 winner tomorrow though with Esplanande in the Spinaway(G1). They bought TCI back after waiting to see another crop but he had 2 colts make the Derby in consecutive years. Which makes two questions come to mind though.

Does it matter that all his top runners are fillies and he hasn't sired a decent colt yet?
Technically he should be able to get a top quality colt since he can clearly get a top quality filly but he hasn't. He has had one colt that won 2 minor turf stakes as a 2yo at minor tracks, he doesn't have any other colts that placed in a stakes.

Is 4 SWs enough to buy back a stallion?
I don't think it is, which is why I think they'll wait to see what happens.

But I also can't fault Winstar and the syndicate that owned Daredevil for selling him. Breeders were not using him, he got 21 mares in 2019. Its easy for people to say, "They should have patience" but if they get an offer, it might not be there the following year if the stallion doesn't work out.
Honor Code

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:42 pm

I doubt they’ll bring him back because if I recall correctly, the initial contract for Take Charge Indy had a buyback clause. I recall reading it in the initial sales article.

I don’t think Daredevil has one. More to the point, I don’t think the Turkish Jockey club whom I think bought him would allow it on any of their stallions.
Flanders

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Honor Code wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:42 pm I doubt they’ll bring him back because if I recall correctly, the initial contract for Take Charge Indy had a buyback clause. I recall reading it in the initial sales article.

I don’t think Daredevil has one. More to the point, I don’t think the Turkish Jockey club whom I think bought him would allow it on any of their stallions.
Yeah the only thing mentioned in his sale article was that he can be returned to be pensioned at Winstar following his stud career's completion.