2018 foals

FlyToTheStars

Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 pm

She was bred on June 3rd and I calculated it to be May 11th. Could be close to it
lurkey mclurker

Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeee I missed it but Bird Town looks fantastic and the filly is sooooooo adorable I can't even. So happy right now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ridan_Remembered

Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeee I missed it but Bird Town looks fantastic and the filly is sooooooo adorable I can't even. So happy right now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've seen the worst and best of foaling thanks to the Foal Patrol. Bird Town and her baby look great. Via's filly and Rosie are also doing great. I'm not sure I want to follow along next year, but don't regret watching this year.
LostADream

Thu May 03, 2018 11:17 pm

A newborn granddaughter of Seattle Slew and Phone Trick made a surprise appearance this week at Unbridled Spirits Thoroughbred Retirement Ranch in Lisbon, Iowa. The filly is by 25yo Seattle Proud, whom Paulick Report just featured in their Aftercare Spotlight. Proud went from a $350k Keeneland Sept yearling to a $250 parking lot auction rescue in 2016, when he was sent to Unbridled Spirits, who were told he could "no longer produce". He's been living it up since with his own herd of mares including 23yo daughter of Phone Trick, Lolabell, whom Proud seemed to have an extra affinity for. Low and behold, Lolabell gave birth to a healthy bay filly at on Tuesday May 1st at Abrahams Equine Clinic. Unbridled Spirits posted today on Facebook about their unexpected arrival, stating that both Lolabelle and her filly are back home, healthy and happy. Proud is, well...proud. :lol: Photos of mom and baby can be seen on their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/unbridledspirits/
lurkey mclurker

Fri May 04, 2018 12:40 am

LOL so you have to wonder if the proud papa was gifted with a surgical procedure instead of a cigar... :lol:
short_lead

Fri May 04, 2018 12:58 am

Looks like mama Rosie has put the Via Veneto filly in a "spot". Getting squished???
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 04, 2018 1:26 am

What will Unbridled Spirits do with that blueblooded little surprise, I wonder? I'm not sure there are many...if any...sons of Seattle Slew still producing offspring, so that filly might be a bit valuable.
And while I don't wish to throw any shade at such a nice retirement organization, but....didn't anyone notice that 'Proud was mounting mares in his herd? Or that Lola Belle was pregnant? :shock:
lurkey mclurker

Fri May 04, 2018 1:29 am

short_lead wrote:Looks like mama Rosie has put the Via Veneto filly in a "spot". Getting squished???
I just saw that going back in the footage and wondered if anyone else had noticed... actually the filly had been climbing around on Rosie, who was lying down, and actually flipped herself backward between the mare & the wall. Rosie didn't get up and the filly couldn't get up, but then it looked like they were both sleeping? And then all of a sudden the footage jumped and Rosie was standing and the filly was on her side instead of her back, but Rosie was blocking her from view so I was worried but now she's up and nursing. *whew*
Sparrow Castle

Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 am

Life At Zen wrote:
FlyToTheStars wrote:Zenyatta's half sister, E (I cannot spell her name) foaled a Dubwai colt this morning
Aw, I can't wait for pics
Liz Maddux has a lot of pictures on Facebook of Ebby and her colt. Sorry I've been so busy this week haven't had time to post.
https://www.facebook.com/lizmaddux?hc_r ... w9qm0f-njA
Liz Maddux is with Rafael Zambrano and 4 others at Summer Wind Farm.
15 hrs · Georgetown ·
For all the Eblouissante (Ebby) fans....the big day has finally arrived! Ebby, the half-Sister of Zenyatta, foaled her colt by Dubawi early this morning! Ebby and her little boy are both doing great! More pics to follow!
Photo credit: Bobby Spalding, Summer Wind Farm General Manager
‘18 Eblouissante x Dubawi - Nap time. Look at that sweet face!
Ebby and her colt.....matching ears!
Ridan_Remembered

Fri May 04, 2018 7:28 am

Ebby's foal is so cute.

Here's an article from the Paulick Report about the birth of Bird Town's foal: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... ire-maker/
LostADream

Fri May 04, 2018 8:18 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:What will Unbridled Spirits do with that blueblooded little surprise, I wonder? I'm not sure there are many...if any...sons of Seattle Slew still producing offspring, so that filly might be a bit valuable.
And while I don't wish to throw any shade at such a nice retirement organization, but....didn't anyone notice that 'Proud was mounting mares in his herd? Or that Lola Belle was pregnant? :shock:
I had the same questions. Apparently he'd been tossed aside by the CA stud because he hadn't gotten a mare in foal for several years despite many attempts, and only managed I think 57 lifetime, so they thought he'd gone completely sterile. But he's a big ladies man so he'd been allowed to run with his own herd of mares at the rescue the last few years. They discovered Lola was in foal about halfway through, when she went to the clinic for a hoof injury, so they were at least prepared when she dropped her filly on Tuesday.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 pm

I wonder how many other mares 'Proud got in foal? And is he still loose with his herd of mares?
I kind of hope he is, because that is the most natural way for a stallion to live. 8-)
However, if his herd is composed of senior or pensioned mares, it might not be the healthiest thing for them, even if he is really, really happy. :?
Treve

Fri May 04, 2018 2:30 pm

The stars really aligned on this one since Lola was supposedly infertile/unable to produce either. I imagine they must have scanned or palpated the other mares, chances are slim that he got any of the others in foal, but I trust that Unbridled Spirits will mitigate any risks.
And you aren't kidding I just looked at Lolabelle's pedigree.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
LostADream

Fri May 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Unbridled Spirits is about 90 minutes from where I live in Iowa. I was shocked to find they've been there for several years and I'd never heard about them. I'd already been in contact via Facebook after the Paulick article to set up a visit, and am extra excited now to see the foal, and find out if Proud will still be allowed with his mares. They have not had any others in foal to him, which is why this one was such a surprise.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 04, 2018 2:54 pm

It sounds like there was a real bond between 'Proud and 'Belle, and that may have contributed to all the stars (and fertility factors) aligning for these two to produce their Love Filly.
Isn't there a Federico Tesio story about a mare he was walking to breed to a stallion, and when they passed a group of other studs being walked, she threw a fit until he allowed her to go back to a particular horse. He decided to allow the breeding to the stallion SHE had picked, even though it wasn't who he would have chosen. IIRC, the offspring turned out to be an important racehorse.
Retrospectiv

Fri May 04, 2018 3:56 pm

That's in irresponsible practice for a breeder, nevermind a rescue.... :roll:

Even if the stallion were not fertile any more, his mounting the mares is a good way to spread dirt and infection among the old mares.

Would they be considering this a 'happy accident' story if the old gal had hemmoraged and died? Seriously.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
middleground

Fri May 04, 2018 9:43 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Isn't there a Federico Tesio story about a mare he was walking to breed to a stallion, and when they passed a group of other studs being walked, she threw a fit until he allowed her to go back to a particular horse. He decided to allow the breeding to the stallion SHE had picked, even though it wasn't who he would have chosen. IIRC, the offspring turned out to be an important racehorse.
I've heard this tale. The kicker is that the offspring was Ribot.
Treve

Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 pm

middleground wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Isn't there a Federico Tesio story about a mare he was walking to breed to a stallion, and when they passed a group of other studs being walked, she threw a fit until he allowed her to go back to a particular horse. He decided to allow the breeding to the stallion SHE had picked, even though it wasn't who he would have chosen. IIRC, the offspring turned out to be an important racehorse.
I've heard this tale. The kicker is that the offspring was Ribot.
That's quite a story I've not heard it before so thanks for sharing :D
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
SSilence86

Mon May 07, 2018 10:05 am

Mamdooha had a Tapit filly on April 23rd.
lurkey mclurker

Wed May 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Hmmm I see they pulled La Verdad out of her stall to wrap all four legs... wonder what's up. Her filly was all tail-swishy the four minutes she was gone, though I assume still view through the stall door. :lol: