2018 foals

Ridan_Remembered

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 pm

mariasmon wrote:Where is this live chat happening?
On YouTube, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS4CFB60nG8

There was a live chat like that when Colerful Bride fell in her stall a few days ago. I stopped reading when the participants started quarreling and saying the mare was favoring a leg, which I definitely did not see. It was a very scary moment, but the mare did not look injured.

Right now they are speculating that the mare went to a vet clinic, but it looks still bright outside, so maybe she is still out in the paddock.
lurkey mclurker

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Given the recent events, I don't really think she's out in her paddock... :?
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Kelly Ann said that Via had 'tremors and full body shakes.' A horse in great discomfort may show those symptoms, so I'm worried. Hope some good news comes along soon.
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Given the recent events, I don't really think she's out in her paddock... :?
Sorry Lurkey, just hoping for the best and I didn't know what happened prior to when I got home from work and checked the live feed.
short_lead

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 pm

I did think it odd that Via seemed to be foaling last night, up and down, and even giving a little "push" here and there before getting up. Was out in the paddock before I had to leave and now just came back to see these posts. It would seem that something is up but I hope she and her foal (born or not yet) are OK.

Question: I imagine that it isn't common to do c-sections on mares but surely they would do so if the foal is not properly positioned to be born normally? I hope so. Been watching this one and Bird Town for the last couple of days (husband must think I'm nuts) but I do so hope all is well.
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
Summer Bird

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:15 pm

short_lead wrote:I did think it odd that Via seemed to be foaling last night, up and down, and even giving a little "push" here and there before getting up. Was out in the paddock before I had to leave and now just came back to see these posts. It would seem that something is up but I hope she and her foal (born or not yet) are OK.

Question: I imagine that it isn't common to do c-sections on mares but surely they would do so if the foal is not properly positioned to be born normally? I hope so. Been watching this one and Bird Town for the last couple of days (husband must think I'm nuts) but I do so hope all is well.
You can do c sections on the mare, but only for emergency situations if they can’t position the foal correctly. C sections take a lot out of a mare so you won’t be able to breed her for a whole year. I was also told that you can probably only do 4 c sections total on a mare.
short_lead

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Thank you, Summer Bird. Wishing the best for Via Veneto and her foal-to-be.
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:13 pm

I just checked the live chat on YouTube for the live feed. Some people there said they heard back from someone at Foal Patrol or the farm. According to that person, the mare is definitely at the clinic.

I agree that what happened last night seemed odd, so much so that I thought to ask here if they would give a mare something to help with contractions. @Falinadin gave a superb explanation as to why it isn't common.

As we all do, I hope very much that they are able to help Via and her baby not only survive, but thrive. Saying some prayers tonight before going to bed.
Flanders

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 am

I hope the mare and foal are ok. There are so many different scenarios it could be.

Foalpatrol posted on her page:
"Via" We're With You...
April 26th, 2018
We've had so many Foal Patrol Fan's reaching wanting to know how Via Veneto is doing. Thank you for your concern. Right now, we've reached out to the farm and we will reply as soon as we know something...."
mariasmon

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Via Veneto passed away, but fortunately her Bodemeister filly made it.
short_lead

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:00 pm

That is so sad. Glad that her baby made it but so sorry Via Veneto didn't make it. I wonder what the complication was. :cry:
Treve

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 pm

This feels like such a sad news Friday all around. I am hoping that her filly finds a good nurse mare and grows up big and strong.
RIP "Via"
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
mariasmon

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:46 pm

f. Harbinger x Ave (GB) (1/30)

c. Maurice x Backseat Rhythm (1/19)
f. Gold Ship x Bayou's Lassie (3/29)

f. Eishin Flash x Daiwa Scarlet (JPN) (2/24)

c. Daiwa Major x Heart Shaped (2/20)

f. Heart's Cry x Kiss to Remember (3/23)

f. Frankel x Lexie Lou (2/26)

c. Mikki Isle x My Jen (2/4)

c. Heart's Cry x Noble Stella (GER) (2/14)

c. Deep Impact x Personal Diary (3/26)

f. Orfevre x Sharla Rae (2/9)
f. Lord Kanaloa x Spinning Wildcat (2/23) - 2nd dam is Hollywood Wildcat
f. Mikki Isle x Starship Truffles (1/21)

Buy the Sport = barren
Dalicia (GER) (dam of Animal Kingdom) = slipped
Moscow Burning = barren
Princess of Sylmar = slipped
Santa Teresita = barren
Ziggypop

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Treve wrote:This feels like such a sad news Friday all around. I am hoping that her filly finds a good nurse mare and grows up big and strong.
RIP "Via"
I had a strong sense of foreboding on Wednesday when I was watching her. Sadly, I was waiting for just this news. May the filly live long and prosper.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:29 pm

What a shame Via Veneto didn't make it. She seemed like a very kind mare and I'm sure she'll be missed. Condolences to the all who cared for her. Glad her filly is okay. Looks like they're getting ready to bring her back to the stall with her nurse mare.
Treve

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:30 pm

mariasmon wrote:f. Harbinger x Ave (GB) (1/30)

c. Maurice x Backseat Rhythm (1/19)
f. Gold Ship x Bayou's Lassie (3/29)

f. Eishin Flash x Daiwa Scarlet (JPN) (2/24)

c. Daiwa Major x Heart Shaped (2/20)

f. Heart's Cry x Kiss to Remember (3/23)

f. Frankel x Lexie Lou (2/26)

c. Mikki Isle x My Jen (2/4)

c. Heart's Cry x Noble Stella (GER) (2/14)

c. Deep Impact x Personal Diary (3/26)

f. Orfevre x Sharla Rae (2/9)
f. Lord Kanaloa x Spinning Wildcat (2/23) - 2nd dam is Hollywood Wildcat
f. Mikki Isle x Starship Truffles (1/21)

Buy the Sport = barren
Dalicia (GER) (dam of Animal Kingdom) = slipped
Moscow Burning = barren
Princess of Sylmar = slipped
Santa Teresita = barren
Wasn't Princess of Sylmar carrying a Deep Impact :( ?

Really excited about the Frankel x Lexie Lou!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
mariasmon

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Treve wrote:Wasn't Princess of Sylmar carrying a Deep Impact :( ?
Yeah and she's already had 2 by him.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:54 pm

New videos of the foal with some details are posted on Via Veneto's Foal Patrol page.
https://foalpatrol.com/horses/veneto
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:51 pm

Statement from the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame and Double Diamond Farm:

It is with a heavy heart we at the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame and Foal Patrol offer our deepest condolences to everyone at Double Diamond Farm. Via Veneto delivered a vibrant bay filly last night at 8:42 at a clinic near the Florida farm. Unfortunately, complications developed after the birth and Via Veneto passed away.

Via Veneto’s foal is resting comfortably and getting the support she needs. She was able to receive the colostrum from Via Veneto, which is vital to the health of newborn foals.

The filly and the nurse mare will be coming back to Double Diamond Farm soon.

Please continue to follow Foal Patrol for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/NMRHOF/
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:54 pm

To help lift our spirits, here's an adorable photo of Stopchargingmaria's foal. The foals represent hope. Via Veneto's baby is big, strong and healthy, so it helps at such a sad time.