Foals of 2017

starrydreamer

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

BlindLucky wrote:From Darby Dan's FB page: Winter Memories had her Tapit colt last night!
Squee!!
CoronadosQuest

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Mark Toothaker ‏@marktoothaker 2h2 hours ago
First foal of the year, a colt by Wicked Strong. @Centennial_Farm @spendthriftfarm @JacobTamme #derbydreaming
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:08 pm

First foal is a filly for Danza, bred by Toby Keith
Spendthrift Farm’s Danza, winner of the Grade 1 Arkansas Derby, sired his first reported foal Sunday, Jan. 15 when a filly was born at Millennium Farms in Lexington, Ky.

Bred by country singer Toby Keith’s Dream Walkin Farms, Inc., the dark bay or brown filly is out of the young Cactus Ridge mare Peeker, a stakes-placed juvenile on the track.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/34785

First foal by Fast Anna born in New York
It was announced today that the first foal by Grade 1 King's Bishop Stakes runner-up Fast Anna was born on Saturday, Jan. 14 at Five Oak Farm in Saratoga Springs, N. Y. The bay colt was bred by Thomas Mina and is out of multiple stakes performer and stakes producer Unbridled Grace.

Fast Anna, a 6-year-old son of Medaglia d'Oro, stands at Three Chimneys Farm in Midway, Ky., for an advertised fee of $7,500.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/34782
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:35 pm

First foal is a colt for G1 winner The Big Beast
Ocala Stud’s The Big Beast, the Grade 1 winner and leading sprinter, sired his first reported foal on Jan. 3rd when a colt was born in Ocala, FL.

Bred by Christy Whitman, the bay colt is out of the Slew Gin Fizz mare Look to the Stars, a half-sister to multiple Graded stakes-winning millionaire Isitingood.
http://www.ocalastud.com/articles/first ... beast.html

Al & Bill Ulwelling ‏@UlwellingRacing
First foal of the year. A healthy Oxbow baby girl!
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Whitsbury Manor Stud ‏@WhitsburyManor
First foal for DUE DILIGENCE (by War Front). Born this morning ex 2yo winner "Free Entry" a lovely bay filly. #FirstFoals #DueDiligence
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 am

These photos of the foals and their moms are balm for my spirit. Thank you everyone who is taking the time to post them.
Treve

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 am

Justin Zayat ‏@JustinZayat 20m20 minutes ago
Happy to announce our first #AmericanPharoah foal!! Very exciting. First @ZayatStables baby of the year #it'sagirl @ZayatStables @jazz3162
Dam is J Z Now by Tiznow, out of the Conquistador Cielo mare, Ticky Tacky.

A chestnut filly from two bay parents. :D
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Rainyday

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Treve wrote:A chestnut filly from two bay parents. :D
AP must have a chestnut gene from his chestnut dam, so not surprising to see him siring chestnuts...but the really interesting thing is on the other side. The nearest chestnut on the dam's side is four generations back...that gene's been underground for a while. :)
Treve

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Rainyday wrote:
AP must have a chestnut gene from his chestnut dam, so not surprising to see him siring chestnuts...but the really interesting thing is on the other side. The nearest chestnut on the dam's side is four generations back...that gene's been underground for a while. :)
There is no "Chestnut gene" per se. All horses technically carry the Chestnut gene because it is the base equine colour. However because it is recessive to the Extension gene, a horse with two copies of the Extension Gene will not produce a chestnut since the Extension will hide it. However that horse's offspring could produce a chestnut provided they mate with an other heterozygous individual.
In the case of bay you need both Extension and Agouti to manifest the bay colour over the Chestnut colour. Without Extension, Chestnut will dominate over bay.
So you can have a genotypically 'pure' Chestnut such as CC aa ee which could produce Chestnut, bay or black with the right mate but you could potentially have a chestnut with the genetic code CC AA ee at which point they could only produce bay or chestnut. It's a funny chain - black dominates over chestnut, chestnut dominates over bay but bay dominates over black.
Pharoah's genotype is CC A? Ee. Dam could easily be homozygous for Agouti and only heterozygous for Extension at which point it wouldn't matter it just means the resulting offspring's chance of being bay higher (like 75% as opposed to a 25% chance of being chestnut)
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt
A Florida-bred bay colt bred by Digole "Dee" Williams is the first reported foal born by Don Dizney's homebred graded stakes sprinter Bahamian Squall .

The colt, born Jan. 18, is the second foal produced by winner Rock Steady Baby (by Rockport Harbor), who is out of the winner and stakes producer Pontook (French Deputy). Pontook is a half sister to grade I winner Cinefila (Skywalker).
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -is-a-colt
Rainyday

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Treve wrote:
Rainyday wrote:
There is no "Chestnut gene" per se. All horses technically carry the Chestnut gene because it is the base equine colour. However because it is recessive to the Extension gene, a horse with two copies of the Extension Gene will not produce a chestnut since the Extension will hide it. However that horse's offspring could produce a chestnut provided they mate with an other heterozygous individual.
In the case of bay you need both Extension and Agouti to manifest the bay colour over the Chestnut colour. Without Extension, Chestnut will dominate over bay.
So you can have a genotypically 'pure' Chestnut such as CC aa ee which could produce Chestnut, bay or black with the right mate but you could potentially have a chestnut with the genetic code CC AA ee at which point they could only produce bay or chestnut. It's a funny chain - black dominates over chestnut, chestnut dominates over bay but bay dominates over black.
Pharoah's genotype is CC A? Ee. Dam could easily be homozygous for Agouti and only heterozygous for Extension at which point it wouldn't matter it just means the resulting offspring's chance of being bay higher (like 75% as opposed to a 25% chance of being chestnut)
I'm aware how it works, yes. :) I was simplifying to keep my comment short.

The interesting thing I found (as I had some time on my hands this morning) is that the dam's pedigree appears to be replete with EE individuals. Tiznow certainly is and I think that's well established by now (and I took a second look at the original post because initially I misread it and thought it was a Tiznow foal and went 'wait, that's not possible'), and although it's impossible to be sure due to the low numbers of foals mares have (and admittedly I was going off Pedigree Query, which is questionable in terms of both completeness and accuracy), there's room for suspicion that her second, third and fourth dams may have also been EE (unless, of course, they had chestnut foals that didn't make it to PQ's database, which is perfectly possible). The e seems to be coming from the mare's dam, who appears to have inherited it from her sire.

And now that we can be sure that both parents are Ee, the chance of chestnut foal was 25%, yes, but I'm personally just tickled when a chestnut shows up after several generations of black-based horses. Chestnut is a hard colour to stamp out unless you're doing genetic testing, which is why (unregisterable) chestnut Friesians occasionally pop up (or did; they aren't approving Ee stallions for breeding any more), and why the annual RCMP auction from their breeding program typically includes several chestnuts that they can't use for the Musical Ride because they're the wrong colour. Er. That was a digression!

Also, no matter what colour she is, she is adorable. :)
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Lipizzaners are almost always grey, but a lovely documentary I saw a few years ago showed that occasional bays and chestnuts are born. And that it has been a long tradition of the Spanish Riding School to always have at least one brown stallion performing individually as part of the program. IIRC, he's supposed to bring good luck.
I guess the Lipizzan breeders are a bit more open-minded that the Friesian. Too bad, as those rare red individuals seem especially attractive.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Tom Ryan ‏@TomRyanKY
Another very good DAREDEVIL filly last night in NY, first foal for Purrfectly Mine, 1/2 sister to Santa Catarina #SF #FoalFriday @Daredevil
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Sunrise Stallions ‏@SunriseStallion
Nothing sweeter: Newborn #BigBrown filly o/o Cuello de Luna, by Cherokee Run, at Stone Bridge Farm @nytbreeders Family of blue hen Portage
Treve

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Rainyday wrote:
Treve wrote:
I'm aware how it works, yes. :) I was simplifying to keep my comment short.

The interesting thing I found (as I had some time on my hands this morning) is that the dam's pedigree appears to be replete with EE individuals. Tiznow certainly is and I think that's well established by now (and I took a second look at the original post because initially I misread it and thought it was a Tiznow foal and went 'wait, that's not possible'), and although it's impossible to be sure due to the low numbers of foals mares have (and admittedly I was going off Pedigree Query, which is questionable in terms of both completeness and accuracy), there's room for suspicion that her second, third and fourth dams may have also been EE (unless, of course, they had chestnut foals that didn't make it to PQ's database, which is perfectly possible). The e seems to be coming from the mare's dam, who appears to have inherited it from her sire.

And now that we can be sure that both parents are Ee, the chance of chestnut foal was 25%, yes, but I'm personally just tickled when a chestnut shows up after several generations of black-based horses. Chestnut is a hard colour to stamp out unless you're doing genetic testing, which is why (unregisterable) chestnut Friesians occasionally pop up (or did; they aren't approving Ee stallions for breeding any more), and why the annual RCMP auction from their breeding program typically includes several chestnuts that they can't use for the Musical Ride because they're the wrong colour. Er. That was a digression!

Also, no matter what colour she is, she is adorable. :)
Yep I was also amused by it hence my original comment. It's like "I guess no one told you you were supposed to be bay, young lady!" :D I mean while it's statistically improbable, it's always possible in a pedigree of bays that the individuals remain all heterozygous, which is why there was a while during which arabian stallions who were tested homozygous for E were highly sought after.
And same thing with Canadian horses, most common and sought after are dark brown and black but bays are more more commonly seen.... Chestnuts pop up but aren't necessarily wanted :lol: I believe my hometown's police force only uses black and dark brown canadians for instance.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Terry Finley ‏@TerryFinley11
Liam's Map 2017 first foal. A filly, out of Enhanced, by Malibu Moon.
ThreeMustangs

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Treve wrote:
Justin Zayat ‏@JustinZayat 20m20 minutes ago
Happy to announce our first #AmericanPharoah foal!! Very exciting. First @ZayatStables baby of the year #it'sagirl @ZayatStables @jazz3162
By American Pharoah out of a Conquistador Cielo mare? I'm thinking she's gonna love the slop. :D
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Doesn't that mean that this new filly is by AP, out of a Tiznow mare, who was out of a Conquistador Cielo mare? :?
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Don't see this little one posted yet.

Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
Airdrie Stud's graded stakes-winning millionaire Summer Front got his first foal when a bay filly was born Jan. 8 at the Midway, Ky., farm.

The filly is out of Airdrie's homebred mare Heart of Midway, a winning daughter of Stevie Wonderboy and a half sister to grade 1 winner Sam's Sister (by Brother Derek ) and five other winners. Heart of Midway's immediate family also includes grade 1-winning fillies Include Me Out, Check the Label, and Sweet Talker, who were all bred by Airdrie.

"This is a truly outstanding, classy filly from our hottest female family," said Brereton C. Jones, owner of Airdrie Stud. "Summer Front couldn't have started better."
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... is-a-filly
ThreeMustangs

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Dam is J Z Now by Tiznow, out of the Conquistador Cielo mare, Ticky Tacky.

Doesn't that mean that this new filly is by AP, out of a Tiznow mare, who was out of a Conquistador Cielo mare? :?
Oops, you're right. But it's still a mudder's pedigree.