Stallion News

Ridan_Remembered

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:21 am

tachyon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:38 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:47 pm California Chrome had three winners today, first time in his young stallion career he's had three winners in one day. One was at Tampa Bay, another at Thistledown and the third in Chile. The colt in Chile is named Hotel California. It was his debut and he won by 19 1/4 lengths. There are now three Chrome colts in Chile who have dominated their debut races. In addition to Hotel California, the other two colts are named Incredible and Ocean Chrome.
Wow!
I've just seen the replay of the Chilean colt who has the great name.
Welcome to the Hotel California!!
That's one of my favorite songs of all-time, too.
Mine too. That was a spectacular win by the colt, Hotel California. Makes me excited to see his Japanese-bred babies when they hit the track. Word from Arrow Stud is that they are pleased with his first crop of foals born there.

Tachyon, you might be interested in the fact that Hotel California's direct female line (tail female) descends from a mare named Sister Sara born in Great Britain in 1930. She was the dam of Lady Angela, who was the dam of Nearctic and was the maternal granddam of Northern Taste. Nearctic, of course, was the sire of Northern Dancer, the sire of Northern Taste. So this family has strong connections in Japanese breeding.
tachyon

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:20 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:21 am
tachyon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:38 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:47 pm California Chrome had three winners today, first time in his young stallion career he's had three winners in one day. One was at Tampa Bay, another at Thistledown and the third in Chile. The colt in Chile is named Hotel California. It was his debut and he won by 19 1/4 lengths. There are now three Chrome colts in Chile who have dominated their debut races. In addition to Hotel California, the other two colts are named Incredible and Ocean Chrome.
Wow!
I've just seen the replay of the Chilean colt who has the great name.
Welcome to the Hotel California!!
That's one of my favorite songs of all-time, too.
Mine too. That was a spectacular win by the colt, Hotel California. Makes me excited to see his Japanese-bred babies when they hit the track. Word from Arrow Stud is that they are pleased with his first crop of foals born there.

Tachyon, you might be interested in the fact that Hotel California's direct female line (tail female) descends from a mare named Sister Sara born in Great Britain in 1930. She was the dam of Lady Angela, who was the dam of Nearctic and was the maternal granddam of Northern Taste. Nearctic, of course, was the sire of Northern Dancer, the sire of Northern Taste. So this family has strong connections in Japanese breeding.
Thank you!
That's very interesting!!
The Family Number of both Hotel California(CHI) and Northern Taste(CAN) is F14-c.
And, needless to say, many Japanese mares have Northern Taste blood in their pedigree.
Of the mares who have already given birth to California Chrome babies this year, Crane's Lover(JPN)(Zenno Rob Roy) and Suzuka Queen(JPN)(Kurofune) come to mind. :D

https://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001333661/
https://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001339617/
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Tachyon, I like the cross of Chrome to the Kurofune mare and, of course, anytime Sunday is fairly close up in a pedigree, that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
HB1994

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:40 pm

First runners for Classic Empire and Gun Runner in R3 at CD today.
Last edited by HB1994 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TapitsGal

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:12 pm

Rock Your Worlds breeding rights purchased by spendthrift...bets on how long he will remain in training after June?
Gemini

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:31 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:12 pm Rock Your Worlds breeding rights purchased by spendthrift...bets on how long he will remain in training after June?
It sounds bad to say, but if RYW wins the Derby and then loses the Preakness, I don't see him running again.
KatieK101

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:10 pm

PersonalE wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:31 pm Info Lanes End visit:

- City of Light was incredibly well received & was the 1st stallion to be booked full this season.
- Mr Speaker isn’t very popular & only got handful of mares
- Quality Road had his R foreleg bandaged up & wasn’t being shown. Guide said that it’s just over precaution & that it isn’t serious.
- Catalina Cruiser, Honor AP & Game Winner were being shown to breeders & I wasn’t able to see them.
- Daredevil was well & munching in his stall. He has been incredibly popular since back & is booked full.
- Honor Code has been slow in stallion development so they’re trying to be patient. But hopes that he throws more ‘Big Horse’ soon.
- they said their ‘nicest’ stallion was Noble Mission, who has now moved on to Japan.
Great to hear that Daredevil is popular! Did they say how Union Rags is doing?
CorridorZ75

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:43 pm Tachyon, I like the cross of Chrome to the Kurofune mare and, of course, anytime Sunday is fairly close up in a pedigree, that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
It hopefully will be a good cross as Pulpit line in general seems to like crossing with Deputy Minister lines. La La Primevere is an interesting Kurofune mare as she is A4 tail female family as well as has Numbered Account ( who has A4 branch via Swaps) through Private Account. So far have not see a foal registered for her, but she was a maiden mare bred in early May so she may have gone late.
tachyon

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:44 am

CorridorZ75 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:43 pm Tachyon, I like the cross of Chrome to the Kurofune mare and, of course, anytime Sunday is fairly close up in a pedigree, that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
It hopefully will be a good cross as Pulpit line in general seems to like crossing with Deputy Minister lines. La La Primevere is an interesting Kurofune mare as she is A4 tail female family as well as has Numbered Account ( who has A4 branch via Swaps) through Private Account. So far have not see a foal registered for her, but she was a maiden mare bred in early May so she may have gone late.
That’s interesting!! :D
The most notable performer in Japan from A4 female family, via Courtly Dee(USA), must be the 2014 Japanese Derby winner One and Only(JPN)(Heart's Cry) who is now standing at Arrow Stud.
Yamanin Paradise(USA)[Danzig(USA) x Althea(USA) by Alydar(USA)] became the JRA champion juvenile filly in 1994, too, and produced Yamanin Seraphim(JPN)(Sunday Silence) who became a stallion. He has already been pensioned.
Transcend(JPN)(Wild Rush), the JRA dirt champion and runner-up in DWC in 2011, is now standing at Arrow Stud, too. He is from A4 female family via Iron Reward(USA).
Now three of Arrow Stud stallions are from A4 family!
La La Primevere's granddam Matikanehatusimada(USA)(Private Account) became a foundation mare in Japan.
I look forward to seeing La La Primevere's California Chrome baby, too. :D
HB1994

Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:39 pm

- City of Light was incredibly well received & was the 1st stallion to be booked full this season.
- Quality Road had his R foreleg bandaged up & wasn’t being shown. Guide said that it’s just over precaution & that it isn’t serious.
- Catalina Cruiser, Honor AP & Game Winner were being shown to breeders & I wasn’t able to see them.
- Daredevil was well & munching in his stall. He has been incredibly popular since back & is booked full.
- Honor Code has been slow in stallion development so they’re trying to be patient. But hopes that he throws more ‘Big Horse’ soon.
- they said their ‘nicest’ stallion was Noble Mission, who has now moved on to Japan.
Thank you!!!

I was afraid to ask about Honor Code...he’s got some very talented horses this year, but a couple of his best have had setbacks. A horse I think could be his big horse, who I love, runs on Friday - Creed.
Creed ran terribly today. I hope he’s okay.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:30 pm

Per PQ, Java's War is back to Canada this year at..."EquiProVet Canada."
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
tachyon

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:55 pm

‘’Umaletter'' released their youtube channel yesterday below. :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEQmrF ... xvg/videos

They have had some of Arrow Stud stallions including California Chrome(USA).
It seems that they will continue to add videos of other stallions in Japan.
Slewfan2

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 pm

HB1994 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:19 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Thank you!!!

I was afraid to ask about Honor Code...he’s got some very talented horses this year, but a couple of his best have had setbacks. A horse I think could be his big horse, who I love, runs on Friday - Creed.
Creed ran terribly today. I hope he’s okay.
Such a weird race, with longshots running 1-2. No, he didn't run well at ALL. I'm sure he's fine.....but that was incredibly disappointing.
tachyon

Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 am

2020 Blue Diamond Stakes winner Tagoloa(AUS) has retired to Yulong, becoming the first son of Lord Kanaloa(JPN)(King kamehameha) to stand at stud in Australia.

https://www.anzbloodstocknews.com/tagal ... ng-roster/
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 am

People: Secretariat was disappointing as a sire
Secretariat: is an ancestor of 18/20 Derby runners
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Sat May 01, 2021 12:04 pm

Yes because he was disappointing as a sire. Disappointing doesn't mean bad.

No one has ever said he wasn't a phenomenal broodmare sire, especially of breed shaping and very good stallions. A.P. Indy, Gone West, Storm Cat are line founding stallions out of Secretariat mares, then he had Chief's Crown, Summer Squall, Dehere, + more that I probably am not thinking of.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Secretariat also sired Kingston Rule, who won the 1990 Melbourne Cup and became a sire in Australia when retired.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -rule-dies
Ridan_Remembered

Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:04 pm Yes because he was disappointing as a sire. Disappointing doesn't mean bad.

No one has ever said he wasn't a phenomenal broodmare sire, especially of breed shaping and very good stallions. A.P. Indy, Gone West, Storm Cat are line founding stallions out of Secretariat mares, then he had Chief's Crown, Summer Squall, Dehere, + more that I probably am not thinking of.
The definition of disappointing is "failing to fulfill someone's hopes or expectations." In other words, the expectations for Secretariat at stud were astronomically high. In point of fact, however, he was a very good sire. He was leading sire of 2-year-olds and leading broodmare sire. He sired multiple champions in several countries, including Horse of the Year and Hall of Famer, Lady's Secret. And yes, his broodmares were phenomenal. The "disappointing" part is that he didn't sire a son to carry on his male line. So what. That is a conceit of humans. What he gave us through his daughters is beyond priceless. What he gave us as a true legend is exceedingly rare.

As for me, there is no way, shape or form that I could ever be disappointed in Secretariat. He was the greatest racehorse that I have ever seen or ever will see. I saw him race several times and was in the stands the day he won his Belmont Stakes. It will forever be one of the highlights of my life. Great doesn't do him justice. As a racehorse, he more that fulfilled "someone's hopes and expectations." He was something far beyond and above mere sire stats. He was like a fairy tale come to life. For a brief, breathtaking moment there was this red-gold comet that blazed through the lives of those privileged to have seen him. Charles Hatton, the late, great columnist for the Daily Racing Form (who saw Man o' War race) wrote of Secretariat, “His only point of reference is himself.”

Isn't a horse like Secretariat precisely what every Thoroughbred breeder dreams of producing? So when one such as him comes along, how can anyone be disappointed?
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 01, 2021 4:05 pm

^^^^^
<3 <3 <3 :D
CorridorZ75

Sat May 01, 2021 4:46 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:04 pm Yes because he was disappointing as a sire. Disappointing doesn't mean bad.

The definition of disappointing is "failing to fulfill someone's hopes or expectations." In other words, the expectations for Secretariat at stud were astronomically high. In point of fact, however, he was a very good sire. He was leading sire of 2-year-olds and leading broodmare sire. He sired multiple champions in several countries, including Horse of the Year and Hall of Famer, Lady's Secret. And yes, his broodmares were phenomenal. The "disappointing" part is that he didn't sire a son to carry on his male line. So what. That is a conceit of humans. What he gave us through his daughters is beyond priceless. What he gave us as a true legend is exceedingly rare.

As for me, there is no way, shape or form that I could ever be disappointed in Secretariat. He was the greatest racehorse that I have ever seen or ever will see. I saw him race several times and was in the stands the day he won his Belmont Stakes. It will forever be one of the highlights of my life. Great doesn't do him justice. As a racehorse, he more that fulfilled "someone's hopes and expectations." He was something far beyond and above mere sire stats. He was like a fairy tale come to life. For a brief, breathtaking moment there was this red-gold comet that blazed through the lives of those privileged to have seen him. Charles Hatton, the late, great columnist for the Daily Racing Form (who saw Man o' War race) wrote of Secretariat, “His only point of reference is himself.”

Isn't a horse like Secretariat precisely what every Thoroughbred breeder dreams of producing? So when one such as him comes along, how can anyone be disappointed?
Yes, there are lines that do better through the daughters, but like all superstar stallions that retire, Secretariat got a boat load of top class mares from deep families so it isn't that surprising their daughters bred on.