Stallion News

Flanders

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:50 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:28 pm If Honor AP has been given grandpa's stall and let's face it AP Indy is huge if not impossible hooves to fill...is this a sign that they have extremely high hopes for the stallion?
No. An empty stall is an empty stall and they have to be close to full. But a farm wants all their stallions to succeed. I think they have 24 stalls and 20 stallions, including the 2 new stallions for 2021, HAP and Game Winner, who isn't there yet. Maybe a stall for Code of Honor, which would be 21. I don't know if they have any other stallion deals in the works, HAP and GW were the only 2 I can think of.
Horsebagger

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 am

Give me one argument (other than saving $15,000 on a fee) as to why someone would send a mare to Honor AP instead of Honor Code at this point.

Go.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 am

Isn't it possible that some stall assignments have to do with how the individual horses react to their neighbor? If one horse gets stressed/angry by the constant smell/sight of the horse next to him, maybe giving him a new, less aggravating neighbor helps keep the stallion barn a happier place? :P :D
TapitsGal

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 am

Horsebagger wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 am Give me one argument (other than saving $15,000 on a fee) as to why someone would send a mare to Honor AP instead of Honor Code at this point.

Go.
Pedigree could be one possible reason. Honor APs dam Hollywood Story has wild again as her grandsire on top as well as icecapade, plugged nickel. I could see sending a mare to him if people really wanted to tap into that wild again blood on his broodmares side. My impression from bill farish comments is that wild again isn't a terribly widespread bloodline these days the way that Secretariat,mr prospector or others are. Also Honor AP is relatively free of northern dancer blood. something I don't see very often in thoroughbreds nowadays. He does trace to native diver on hollywood story's side, but she doesn't have any northern dancer blood. Honor code does but you have to go 3 generations back on serena's cats side to see it
TapitsGal

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:52 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm Honor A.P. was given Indy’s old stall...and Honor Code was moved from his stall near his sires to make room for Quality Road.

Does this mean anything? Joe Nevills from TDN did a wonderful article and, when asked, he said that while he’s not sure, he thinks it could be just a move to give the horses a change of scenery.
So is it safe to guess that honor code is in quality roads old stall? I was watching a virtual stallion barn tour of Claiborne farm and thought that it's interesting that War Front is not in the main barn along with runhappy, flatter and the others. I always assumed that the main stallion barn where runhappy lives was claiborne's most well known barn and that war front being such a prolific well known successful stallion for the farm would have one of those stalls. But perhaps he prefers the quietness of the back shedrow type barn where he is with ironicus. It's just interesting. I assume the main stallion barn is busier and war front seeming like the human friendly type he is would like the activity
Slewfan2

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:09 am

TapitsGal wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 am
Horsebagger wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 am Give me one argument (other than saving $15,000 on a fee) as to why someone would send a mare to Honor AP instead of Honor Code at this point.

Go.
Pedigree could be one possible reason. Honor APs dam Hollywood Story has wild again as her grandsire on top as well as icecapade, plugged nickel. I could see sending a mare to him if people really wanted to tap into that wild again blood on his broodmares side. My impression from bill farish comments is that wild again isn't a terribly widespread bloodline these days the way that Secretariat,mr prospector or others are. Also Honor AP is relatively free of northern dancer blood. something I don't see very often in thoroughbreds nowadays. He does trace to native diver on hollywood story's side, but she doesn't have any northern dancer blood. Honor code does but you have to go 3 generations back on serena's cats side to see it
For the OP, I guess if you don’t like HAP, there wouldn’t be any reason... but for those breeders who saw his talent and huge potential, there would be plenty of reasons. As much as I love Honor Code, he’s been extremely hot or miss. He’s got HAP, Max and a horse I love in Creed ..plus a few others I like. He’s been pretty cold for awhile, he doesn’t get any early babies, and he doesn’t sire a lot of winners. He’s certainly still promising, but I’ve been disappointed in him. Clearly buyers are as well - he’s got little to no sales appeal at this point. As far as I’m concerned, and I’m not going to debate this again because there’s no point, HAP was extremely talented and classy..and he ran a huge race in the Derby on 3 good legs. He’s got more speed and tactical ability than his sire..,and that’s another thing. HC was insanely talented, but most of his offspring have no speed at all...not great.

Tapit, right..,and HAP is completely free of Mr.P on his dams side, which is fantastic because the Indy line is brilliant with those mares.
Slewfan2

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:12 am

TapitsGal wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:52 am
Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm Honor A.P. was given Indy’s old stall...and Honor Code was moved from his stall near his sires to make room for Quality Road.

Does this mean anything? Joe Nevills from TDN did a wonderful article and, when asked, he said that while he’s not sure, he thinks it could be just a move to give the horses a change of scenery.
So is it safe to guess that honor code is in quality roads old stall? I was watching a virtual stallion barn tour of Claiborne farm and thought that it's interesting that War Front is not in the main barn along with runhappy, flatter and the others. I always assumed that the main stallion barn where runhappy lives was claiborne's most well known barn and that war front being such a prolific well known successful stallion for the farm would have one of those stalls. But perhaps he prefers the quietness of the back shedrow type barn where he is with ironicus. It's just interesting. I assume the main stallion barn is busier and war front seeming like the human friendly type he is would like the activity
It’s possible. Even if that’s the case with WF - that he likes quiet - that’s likely not the case with HC, who seemed to be doing just fine where he was. My friend is furious at LE, and says it’s a bad sign that they’ve moved him likely to the back. She fears HC is on the fast track to export
Flanders

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 am Isn't it possible that some stall assignments have to do with how the individual horses react to their neighbor? If one horse gets stressed/angry by the constant smell/sight of the horse next to him, maybe giving him a new, less aggravating neighbor helps keep the stallion barn a happier place? :P :D
Yes can be that as well. They maybe don't get along well with a neighbor.
TapitsGal

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:48 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:12 am

It’s possible. Even if that’s the case with WF - that he likes quiet - that’s likely not the case with HC, who seemed to be doing just fine where he was. My friend is furious at LE, and says it’s a bad sign that they’ve moved him likely to the back. She fears HC is on the fast track to export
Isn't honor code only had one crop to race? And he's had honor AP, max player, roadrunners honor and fashion code(the latter two are gr 2 or gr 3) in this crop. I'd say he's off to a successful start at stud. And as someone said, isn't lanes end more patient than other farms? I've noticed with coolmore,WinStar and spendthrift that if a stallion doesn't have a big name horse in their first or second crop...it's a one way ticket to Japan,korea, south america,Saudi Arabia, turkey etc for them. Daredevil sired swiss skydiver, shedaresthedevil, and esplanade (who I really like and think is a promising horse) and it wasn't enough to keep him(I'm still bitter over the sale). Im wondering how long exaggerator stays around. Besides directors cut and perfect mistake who are stakes placed he so far has no stakes winners.
Slewfan2

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 am

TapitsGal wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:48 am

Isn't honor code only had one crop to race? And he's had honor AP, max player, roadrunners honor and fashion code(the latter two are gr 2 or gr 3) in this crop. I'd say he's off to a successful start at stud. And as someone said, isn't lanes end more patient than other farms? I've noticed with coolmore,WinStar and spendthrift that if a stallion doesn't have a big name horse in their first or second crop...it's a one way ticket to Japan,korea, south america,Saudi Arabia, turkey etc for them. Daredevil sired swiss skydiver, shedaresthedevil, and esplanade (who I really like and think is a promising horse) and it wasn't enough to keep him(I'm still bitter over the sale). Im wondering how long exaggerator stays around. Besides directors cut and perfect mistake who are stakes placed he so far has no stakes winners.
Yes, his babies this year are his second crop. Well. I wouldn’t use those latter two fillies as an example of his as success as they aren’t very good despite being stakes placed. He has had stakes placed Bama Breeze and a horse I love, Creed.

My friend seems to be like me, a worrywart (I only know her from the internet, so I can’t say for sure). I don’t think it’s at all a good sign, but I also don’t think my friend has anything to worry about. It not that HC hasn’t been successful, it’s just that he has been hit or miss, and expectations were huge when he went to stud.

You have nothing to fear with Exaggerator - he’s off to a very fine start.
HB1994

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 am

Go.
This is weak, but HAP won a G1 at 3. HC didn’t win his first G1 until 4. Then again, HC was G1-placed as a juvenile and HAP didn’t run in a graded stakes until March of his 3yo year. If a mare has A.P. Indy in her pedigree, maybe you’d go to HAP to move him another generation back?
KatieK101

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm

This is the second time I've seen you use the Daredevil comparison, and again, Daredevil was sold before SS and Shedaresthedevil were even graded stakes winners (I believe Shedaresthedevil was GSP). If they had kept him around until his first crop were three, I'm sure he would still be in the states. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but he was sold early because of breeders lack of interest and the sales ring.
Flanders

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm

This is the second time I've seen you use the Daredevil comparison, and again, Daredevil was sold before SS and Shedaresthedevil were even graded stakes winners (I believe Shedaresthedevil was GSP). If they had kept him around until his first crop were three, I'm sure he would still be in the states. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but he was sold early because of breeders lack of interest and the sales ring.
They had no intentions of selling him. Bloodstock agents told the Turkish Jockey Club to buy him because they liked the looks of his foals.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Maybe they have a really shuffled them to give them new scenery. I think new scenery is good for the mental health of animals.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
KatieK101

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:02 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 pm
KatieK101 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm

They had no intentions of selling him. Bloodstock agents told the Turkish Jockey Club to buy him because they liked the looks of his foals.
Thanks for the correction. My main point still stands.
Slinky_Malinky

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Go.
That your mare has a Mr P line up close and therefore she isn't suitable for Mineshaft?
Honor Code

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:47 pm Maybe they have a really shuffled them to give them new scenery. I think new scenery is good for the mental health of animals.
Just a possibility-May be it’s related to AP Indy’s death. At my barn, when a horse dies it’s all horse drama in the immediate vicinity of the dead horse. My dramatic boy acts like there’s a plague/horrible predator near by if he’s within 200ft of the dead horse’s stall.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 pm

Honor Code wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm
Mylute wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:47 pm Maybe they have a really shuffled them to give them new scenery. I think new scenery is good for the mental health of animals.
Just a possibility-May be it’s related to AP Indy’s death. At my barn, when a horse dies it’s all horse drama in the immediate vicinity of the dead horse. My dramatic boy acts like there’s a plague/horrible predator near by if he’s within 200ft of the dead horse’s stall.
:(

Without the homie the vibe ain't right anymore.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
mariasmon

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 am

Mylute wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 pm
Honor Code wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm
:(

Without the homie the vibe ain't right anymore.
I recall the stallion manager at Three Chimneys saying she had to put a black teaser in Wild Again's paddock after he died because Rahy was upset at his absence. You'd think they'd know the scent of the other horse and realize it's a different one, but apparently it worked.
Starine

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 pm

mariasmon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 am I recall the stallion manager at Three Chimneys saying she had to put a black teaser in Wild Again's paddock after he died because Rahy was upset at his absence. You'd think they'd know the scent of the other horse and realize it's a different one, but apparently it worked.
That is so cute, and yes -- surprising.