Stallion News

ThreeMustangs

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Effinity won SAR R2 to become the first winner for the late Effinex
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:05 am

Per PQ, Soldat (War Front) was gelded and sent to Old Friends.

I don't remember seeing anything about it.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
starrydreamer

Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:39 am

Mylute wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:05 am Per PQ, Soldat (War Front) was gelded and sent to Old Friends.

He's not listed on their page yet if this is true.
Flanders

Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:44 am

starrydreamer wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:39 am
Mylute wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:05 am Per PQ, Soldat (War Front) was gelded and sent to Old Friends.

He is at Old Friends. They posted a picture of him about a month ago and in the comments on the photo they say he had been there for several months at that time.
https://m.facebook.com/oldfriendsequine ... 8532579670

And in this newsletter, they have another photo from Fall/Winter 2019, he is listed as being the newest Old Friend.
http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/Domains ... etter2.pdf

Edit to add: They say he was gelded here and that he would be getting a friend soon.
https://oldfriendsblog.wordpress.com/20 ... il-3-2020/

I applaud farms that do this with their stallions. He wasn't doing good at stud, he didn't need to sire any more foals. Gelding him while he is still fairly young and allowing him to be able to interact with other horses is far kinder to him.
starrydreamer

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:44 am
starrydreamer wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:39 am

He is at Old Friends. They posted a picture of him about a month ago and in the comments on the photo they say he had been there for several months at that time.
https://m.facebook.com/oldfriendsequine ... 8532579670

And in this newsletter, they have another photo from Fall/Winter 2019, he is listed as being the newest Old Friend.
http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/Domains ... etter2.pdf

Edit to add: They say he was gelded here and that he would be getting a friend soon.
https://oldfriendsblog.wordpress.com/20 ... il-3-2020/

I applaud farms that do this with their stallions. He wasn't doing good at stud, he didn't need to sire any more foals. Gelding him while he is still fairly young and allowing him to be able to interact with other horses is far kinder to him.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see he is at Old Friends! I agree - he was already in a regional market and not catching on, so there really was no need for him to carry on. He'll have a nice life at Old Friends. It's more my skepticism at anything on PQ.
Flanders

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Invasor will remain in Uruguay through the 2021 Southern Hemisphere breeding season. He will then most likely be returned to Shadwell in Kentucky where he will be pensioned.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... ough-2021/
TapitsGal

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:45 pm

War of Will to Claiborne farm in 2021...can't tell you how super excited I am to hear this news..he will stand alongside his sire war front

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rm-in-2021
starrydreamer

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:38 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:45 pm War of Will to Claiborne farm in 2021...can't tell you how super excited I am to hear this news..he will stand alongside his sire war front

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rm-in-2021
Oh nice!!
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Yay! I've been expecting this. Nice he won't be shipped out to Korea in 2 years.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Missbeholder

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:58 pm

Mylute wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:40 pm Yay! I've been expecting this. Nice he won't be shipped out to Korea in 2 years.
Also, especially gratifying to know that he won't be bred to a gazillion mares a year and/or shipped someplace south of the equator in order to do it!!🙂
Smarty Deb

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:14 pm Invasor will remain in Uruguay through the 2021 Southern Hemisphere breeding season. He will then most likely be returned to Shadwell in Kentucky where he will be pensioned.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... ough-2021/
What a racehorse he was. Seems like he's been forgotten in the US because his stud career didn't take off here. He was my favorite horse to watch during his Horse of the Year season.
Mylute

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:43 pm

It sounds like they'll be keeping WOW on the turf this year/rest of his career. They're pointing him to the Woodbine Mile and then to the Breeders Cup.

It8d be kinda cool to see him win another G1 on dirt as a four year old, but from a fan's perspective I'm ok with the current plan.

How many TC Classic winners have also won G1s on turf? Only ones I can think of are Secretariat, WOW, and Chrome.
KatieK101

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Mylute wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:43 pm It sounds like they'll be keeping WOW on the turf this year/rest of his career. They're pointing him to the Woodbine Mile and then to the Breeders Cup.

It8d be kinda cool to see him win another G1 on dirt as a four year old, but from a fan's perspective I'm ok with the current plan.

How many TC Classic winners have also won G1s on turf? Only ones I can think of are Secretariat, WOW, and Chrome.
Those are the only three that come to mind for me as well... IIRC, those might be the only three to do so. Or Secretariat and Chrome are the only two to do so their sophomore year? Either way, it's a very elite group!
Flanders

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 pm

Same. There are quite a few who finished 2nd or 3rd in G1s on the turf but those are the only ones I can think of that won.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 am

IIRC, Einstein won graded stakes on dirt, grass and synthetic, but I don't know if they were all G1. :?
I really liked that horse; an entire who ran through his (again, IIRC) 7th year, retired sound and also had the rep for being a level-headed gentleman. A really good racehorse, and I wish his stud career was more successful than it has been so far. :oops:
Missbeholder

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 am IIRC, Einstein won graded stakes on dirt, grass and synthetic, but I don't know if they were all G1. :?
I really liked that horse; an entire who ran through his (again, IIRC) 7th year, retired sound and also had the rep for being a level-headed gentleman. A really good racehorse, and I wish his stud career was more successful than it has been so far. :oops:
Einstein never won a Classic race, but he's always worth celebratng. Won the GI Gulfstream Park Turf Stakes twice, won the Gi Woodford Reserve Turf Stakes at Churchill Downs twice, and he won the GI Santa Anita Handicap on Proride Synthetic once. He DID win the Clark Hcp at CD, but that was before it was upgraded. It was a GII when he won it.

When Keeneland and Del Mar returned to dirt, it put an end to GI races being run on synthetic. I think Lava Man is the only horse to score GI's on all 3 surfaces. I thought about Wise Dan, but found that he didn't get GI's on all 3.

If anyone remembers or knows of another horse besides Lava Man to do it, please let me know. I could be wrong

Interesting little related note about Wise Dan:
The surface that's missing on Wise Dan's GI resume is synthetic. Not as surprising as it may seem. The only tracks that ran GI,'s on synthetic were at Hollywood Park and Del Mar in California, Keeneland, and little Presque Isle Downs. Except for Turf Breeders Cups, Wise Dan never ran in California, so that eliminates all those races.
The Keeneland and Presque Isle synthetic GI's were all races that 'Dan wouldn't have run in anyway due to eligibility, distance, etc. So, Poof!! All gone!!

Wise Dan did run in several synthetic races at Keeneland
And won most of them, but none of them were GI's.

Just having some fun!!😉
Mylute

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 am

From my understanding Sec and Chrome are the only ones to do it their sophomore year. Races weren't always graded so it's possible it has happened before races were graded but I feel like we would've read it somewhere if it did.

The Travers is sort of considered a "classic" for sophomores so Catholic Boy can be added to the list with an asterisk (because it's not a TC race).
Northport

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm

In case anyone thinks they have it rough, Sheikh Hamdan is sad that he hasn't had a good stallion since Green Desert:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ess/444713

It's kind of wild how much Shadwell has spent at sales in the last 10 years, and how many horses they have in training between dozens of trainers in England, Ireland, France, America, South Africa, Australia, and the UAE, but until this year, they didn't really win more than one or two G1s a year.

Taghrooda won the Oaks and King George in 2014, Mukhadram won the Eclipse in 2014, Muharrar won 4 G1s in 2015, plus Tamarkuz winning the Dirt Mile in 2015, Awtaad won the Irish 2,000 Guineas in 2016, Hawwaam won 5 G1s in South Africa in 2019/2020, then of course we have Battaash, Nazeef, Tawkeel, Mohaather, lighting it up currently.... but still, the money they put in (until this year) doesn't seem to transfer to results, let alone top stallion prospects, in England or the States.

Muhaarar has all the credentials to be a star stallion, and his first crop is three this year, but he isn't doing too hot. When they ventured out to stand a non-Shadwell raced stallion in Poet's Word, he only stood there for one season before being transferred to NH.

At KEESEPT19, Shadwell was the second-leading buyer, behind Godolphin. Shadwell paid $11,070,000 for 18 yearlings, including three for seven figures: a colt and a filly both by Curlin for $1,050,000 each and a $1 million filly by War Front. At KEESEPT17, Shadwell ranked as leading buyer with 17 horses acquired for a total of $12.475 million from books 1 and 2. I think they were also the leading buyer at KEESEPT16.

Is it management? Bad luck? I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion. Not too long ago we were talking about how Godolphin was a shadow of what it used to be, but Charlie Appleby has pretty much resurrected the organization, or maybe it also has to do with the resignation of Simon Crisford and John Ferguson. I'm not sure how much Saeed Bin Suroor complaining to media outlets about his horses or the chain of command has helped his side of the business, though. I can't believe he still has a job there.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm

This is so sad! Alexa, play Despacito.

I tend to associate Shadwell with selling dozens of intact castoffs with very little racing background or none at all as racing/stallion prospects for dirt cheap at Keeneland November.
Flanders

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Northport wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm In case anyone thinks they have it rough, Sheikh Hamdan is sad that he hasn't had a good stallion since Green Desert:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ess/444713

It's kind of wild how much Shadwell has spent at sales in the last 10 years, and how many horses they have in training between dozens of trainers in England, Ireland, France, America, South Africa, Australia, and the UAE, but until this year, they didn't really win more than one or two G1s a year.

Taghrooda won the Oaks and King George in 2014, Mukhadram won the Eclipse in 2014, Muharrar won 4 G1s in 2015, plus Tamarkuz winning the Dirt Mile in 2015, Awtaad won the Irish 2,000 Guineas in 2016, Hawwaam won 5 G1s in South Africa in 2019/2020, then of course we have Battaash, Nazeef, Tawkeel, Mohaather, lighting it up currently.... but still, the money they put in (until this year) doesn't seem to transfer to results, let alone top stallion prospects, in England or the States.

Muhaarar has all the credentials to be a star stallion, and his first crop is three this year, but he isn't doing too hot. When they ventured out to stand a non-Shadwell raced stallion in Poet's Word, he only stood there for one season before being transferred to NH.

At KEESEPT19, Shadwell was the second-leading buyer, behind Godolphin. Shadwell paid $11,070,000 for 18 yearlings, including three for seven figures: a colt and a filly both by Curlin for $1,050,000 each and a $1 million filly by War Front. At KEESEPT17, Shadwell ranked as leading buyer with 17 horses acquired for a total of $12.475 million from books 1 and 2. I think they were also the leading buyer at KEESEPT16.

Is it management? Bad luck? I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion. Not too long ago we were talking about how Godolphin was a shadow of what it used to be, but Charlie Appleby has pretty much resurrected the organization, or maybe it also has to do with the resignation of Simon Crisford and John Ferguson. I'm not sure how much Saeed Bin Suroor complaining to media outlets about his horses or the chain of command has helped his side of the business, though. I can't believe he still has a job there.
I don't know why it happens either. You'd think they'd have a beautifully bred broodmare band and they buy so many horses every year, that they would turn out more better horse than they do. I feel like they had some bad luck and some bad decisions. There for awhile they tended to retire horses to Kentucky that may have been better suited to standing in Europe, maybe because they had Green Desert, Unfuwain, Nashwan at the time that a lot of the stallions I'm going to list went to stud. They retired Bahri, Dayjur, Sakhee, Sheikh Albadou, Swain, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others, to Kentucky.

This has always been a mystery to me but their stallions just don't get supported in Kentucky. Is it because they don't syndicate their stallions so breeders don't feel the need to send mares to them?
Daaher was a G1SWing son of Awesome Again. He got like at most 20 mares a year, even when he first went to stud.
HOTY Invasor didn't get mares either really. His first year was in the 70s, then it was downhill fast.
Tamarkuz has gotten around 40 mares a year since he went to stud. He is a G1/MGSW winning son of Speightstown from a nice family who ran from 2-6. His dam's half brother stands in California and rakes in mares and did the same when he was in Kentucky. But as an example, Speightster retired the same year to Winstar, he has covered 150+ mares each year and was a G3 winning son of Speightstown from a nice family, who managed 4 starts before injury forced his retirement. They stood for very similar fees Tamarkuz at $12,500 and Speightster at $10,000.