Zenyatta News

sweettalk

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:44 am

mariasmon wrote:They really should give Giant's Causeway a shot while they still have the chance. He's not getting any younger.
i'd pay the damn stud fee myself if i had to.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:08 am

mariasmon wrote:They really should give Giant's Causeway a shot while they still have the chance. He's not getting any younger.
I'd love that too, but then I adore turf racing. Guess it could be 50-50 dirt/turf.
Insane Crazy

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:24 am

mariasmon wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I didn't know about Shamardal's breeding...thanks for the info.
And now I'M rooting for her to visit GC. :D
Welcome to my bandwagon!
I've been on this since she retired. TOTALLY agree that she needs to hurry up and make a date with GC already. Pleeeaaaase.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
CoronadosQuest

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:19 am

I would love to see her go to Giant's Causeway! I'd also love to see her go to Galileo but... ya know... that won't happen.
mariasmon

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:24 am

I heard they might've been offended when they called to inquire about booking to GC (either when she first retired or when she was retired before she unretired) and were told that she'd be happily accepted into his book at the full stud fee. Take it with a grain of salt.
Life At Zen

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:16 am

mariasmon wrote:I heard they might've been offended when they called to inquire about booking to GC (either when she first retired or when she was retired before she unretired) and were told that she'd be happily accepted into his book at the full stud fee. Take it with a grain of salt.
Is this common, stud farms not making special accommodations for top (racing) mares?
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
mariasmon

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 am

Life At Zen wrote:
mariasmon wrote:I heard they might've been offended when they called to inquire about booking to GC (either when she first retired or when she was retired before she unretired) and were told that she'd be happily accepted into his book at the full stud fee. Take it with a grain of salt.
Is this common, stud farms not making special accommodations for top (racing) mares?
I don't really know what deals are done behind the scenes, but I'm not sure why they should discount or waive the fee when the Mosses could certainly afford to pay it. Just to say GC got Zenyatta in his book? I'd be like, "Big woo. Show me the money."
Katewerk

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:10 pm

How much serious pedigree analysis goes into breeding these high profile mares? Are potentially better matches being set aside for stallions with better sales ring prospects?
mariasmon

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Katewerk wrote:How much serious pedigree analysis goes into breeding these high profile mares? Are potentially better matches being set aside for stallions with better sales ring prospects?
Since they don't intend to sell Zenyatta's foals, I shouldn't think the commercial appeal of the mating would be a major factor in the decision process. Naturally, she can go to top stallions and top stallions are top for a reason. And the best racemares deserve a shot with the best stallions available, at least until they've established they're not going to produce anything decent with them (Galileo x Rags to Riches, anyone?).
Katewerk

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:35 pm

mariasmon wrote: Since they don't intend to sell Zenyatta's foals, I shouldn't think the commercial appeal of the mating would be a major factor in the decision process. Naturally, she can go to top stallions and top stallions are top for a reason. And the best racemares deserve a shot with the best stallions available, at least until they've established they're not going to produce anything decent with them (Galileo x Rags to Riches, anyone?).
I certainly understand that aspect. But at what point do the mares will make the stallion and not the other way around?

I asked a while ago if there exists any data on ROI for stallions -- the average race earnings per offspring in relation to stud fee. I don't think anyone replied.
sweettalk

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:57 pm

wait, they were offended that they didnt get special treatment ...???
mariasmon

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:01 pm

sweettalk wrote:
That's the way I heard it, but it could've been misinterpreted.
TouchOfGrey

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:21 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Brings to mind a story I read back when she was still racing that they were allegedly going to ship her to either Saratoga or Belmont. John Sheriffs called the racing office to inquire about a stall and when he was referred to the application online he hung up in amazement.
mariasmon

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:16 pm

While I think that tracks need to make every effort to recruit marquee horses like Zenyatta to major races and be accommodating to their connections, I don't think she she is due the special treatment they seem to believe she is due.
Insane Crazy

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:32 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:
sweettalk wrote:
Brings to mind a story I read back when she was still racing that they were allegedly going to ship her to either Saratoga or Belmont. John Sheriffs called the racing office to inquire about a stall and when he was referred to the application online he hung up in amazement.
Oy!

Even the president's kids still have to fill out college applications. ;)
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
mariasmon

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Zenyatta is really special, perhaps to a slightly warped extent, to the Mosses (and Shirreffs, obv), but it's still a business. Getting Zenyatta isn't all that earth-shattering for an established, successful stallion. I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference for the stallion's career in the long run. Why should they get to breed her for free or at a discount not available to other breeders?

I could maybe see it if they'd decided her first mate would be Super Saver. The farm might've gotten some advertising mileage out of that booking. But why would you want to retire a champion mare and breed her to a first-season sire??
BornToWin

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:11 pm

If only she traveled safely, Sea the Stars would be a priority breeding to consider. Talented and proven.
http://www.agakhanstuds.com/Stallions/2 ... edigree/en

This horse had so much ability. And he is transmitting it to his off-spring. Watch his Arc again.
https://youtu.be/pD_ALPiOdsg
carole

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:32 pm

BornToWin wrote:If only she traveled safely, Sea the Stars would be a priority breeding to consider. Talented and proven.
http://www.agakhanstuds.com/Stallions/2 ... edigree/en

This horse had so much ability. And he is transmitting it to his off-spring. Watch his Arc again.
https://youtu.be/pD_ALPiOdsg
Yea I'd love to see that mating too. Too bad it won't ever happen :(

Can't wait to see how Sea The Stars progeny does this year! I love that horse and I'm always rooting for his kids!

His Arc was sensational, it actually always brings me to tears, I remember watching it live (on TV) thinking there's no way he'll get out, and then he did and the roar of the crowd at that moment was spectacular! Still consider him to be the best racehorse I ever saw!
islandgirl45

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:38 am

Foal Watch Day 6. Both mares look like they're ready to pop. :)

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
luvsgeldings

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:45 am

egads - hope for their sake.... they deliver soon!