2018 foals

Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Kristen,

Thank you for your kind words and concern. '18 It's In His Kiss presented to Rhinebeck Equine at approximately 90 minutes on age on March 11th. The filly had passed her meconium while in utero and failed to meet her normal milestones after delivery. The filly was very weak and unable to stand when she arrived. She has been treated very aggressively and has had 24 hour intensive care since admission. The filly developed meconium aspiration syndrome secondary to inhaling meconium while in the mare. The filly remains critical but has gained strength and is now able to stand with assistance.

Caitlin Malloy
c/o Edition Farm​​
Oh that's wonderful news. Such a relief that she's able to stand although with assistance. Does anyone know if they would let a foal try to nurse in such situations? Might they have been milking the mare to give to the foal? These are things I don't know, but instinctively think it would be best for the mare and foal if baby could nurse as soon as she is able.

I think I will also email them to express my best wishes for mare and foal. It's probably only an emotional overreaction, but somehow seeing all those people surrounding La Verdad and her foal made me even more sad for "Kiss" and her baby. Doesn't make much sense, but who can explain why we feel these things.
SSilence86

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:42 pm

I know what you mean. I opened that email with a certain trepidation.

I of course was over joyed & teary eyed reading her response.

Keep fighting little angel.
SSilence86

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Better picture of La Verdad's filly https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1930376047
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 pm

SSilence86 wrote:I know what you mean. I opened that email with a certain trepidation.

I of course was over joyed & teary eyed reading her response.

Keep fighting little angel.
That's great to hear, SSilence86! Ms. Malloy is very kind, and this is the best we could hope for at this point in time. Yes, keep on fighting, little lady, you've got a lot of people rooting for you!

Ridan, Totally depends on the situation and whether or not she can nurse, take milk from a bottle, or needs to be tube fed. I don't know how Rhinebeck Equine is set up in intensive care, but I think it's not likely she is nursing from Kiss. Even human newborns who are critically ill may not be able to nurse.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:42 pm

IIRC, meconium aspiration is what led to the death of Zenyatta's War Front colt. :(
I hope the filly can get through this.
short_lead

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 am

carole wrote:Welp, of course I missed the actual foaling after watching the cam pretty much non-stop for a week now :|

Looks like I missed it too. The video only seems to rewind about three hours? Was out for a few hours today so it must have happened then. Any chance there is another way to watch the foaling? Yeah, I know, there are others to see but I did try over the last few days to catch it. Kinda reminds me of April, the giraffe. I'd put a separate tab with her video and pop in and watch for a while, then back to whatever I was doing. Every time she lifted her tail, the feed would go bananas, then...just a poo! Then one morning, there she was with her baby. But there were videos that did catch the birth so did get to watch it, albeit hours after it happened. Is there a way to see La Verdad's?

Hope the poor little sick filly pulls through. I remember Zenyatta's colt dying of meconium aspiration at just days old. It isn't fair!
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
carole

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 am

short_lead wrote:
carole wrote:Welp, of course I missed the actual foaling after watching the cam pretty much non-stop for a week now :|

Looks like I missed it too. The video only seems to rewind about three hours? Was out for a few hours today so it must have happened then. Any chance there is another way to watch the foaling? Yeah, I know, there are others to see but I did try over the last few days to catch it. Kinda reminds me of April, the giraffe. I'd put a separate tab with her video and pop in and watch for a while, then back to whatever I was doing. Every time she lifted her tail, the feed would go bananas, then...just a poo! Then one morning, there she was with her baby. But there were videos that did catch the birth so did get to watch it, albeit hours after it happened. Is there a way to see La Verdad's?

Hope the poor little sick filly pulls through. I remember Zenyatta's colt dying of meconium aspiration at just days old. It isn't fair!
If you right click on the live feed you should be able to click to watch it in YouTube. From there you can click on the channel and there should be a list of past live streams in videos, you can probably find it there.
carole

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 am

short_lead wrote:

If you right click on the live feed you should be able to click to watch it in YouTube. From there you can click on the channel and there should be a list of past live streams in videos, you can probably find it there.
short_lead

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks, carole, I will try that. :)
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
carole

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Sorry about the double post :oops:

ETA: Just tried it and it doesn't quite work, they haven't got past streams on the channel which is a shame
Personal Ensign

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:23 pm

I love how La Verdad's filly's tail is swishing almost all the time. Just now she looked like she was trying to work her legs so she could lay down but changed her mind. :lol:
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
mariasmon

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:27 pm

It's pretty funny when foals are trying to figure out how to make their legs work so they can lie down.
Personal Ensign

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:38 pm

I agree with you MM, she looked a bit confused for a moment there
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
TapitsGal

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Treve had her foal
carole

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:04 pm

I have a question, were La Verdad and her filly not turned out today because of the weather or because the filly is a newborn? Or a combination of both? And when do you think they will be turned out?
TBird

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:16 pm

carole wrote:I have a question, were La Verdad and her filly not turned out today because of the weather or because the filly is a newborn? Or a combination of both? And when do you think they will be turned out?
Different farms do things differently so I can't predict what will happen with La Verdad, but our foals are almost always kept inside on day 1 just as a precaution. On day 2, as long as they're healthy they all go out (in a small paddock with the mare and foal by themselves.) In snow, they may be out for just 20 minutes. If the weather is good, they'll go out for an hour and a half. The amount of time outside increases each day. By the time they're a week old, they will be outside pretty much all day (and in a stall at night.)
carole

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:28 pm

TBird wrote:
carole wrote:I have a question, were La Verdad and her filly not turned out today because of the weather or because the filly is a newborn? Or a combination of both? And when do you think they will be turned out?
Different farms do things differently so I can't predict what will happen with La Verdad, but our foals are almost always kept inside on day 1 just as a precaution. On day 2, as long as they're healthy they all go out (in a small paddock with the mare and foal by themselves.) In snow, they may be out for just 20 minutes. If the weather is good, they'll go out for an hour and a half. The amount of time outside increases each day. By the time they're a week old, they will be outside pretty much all day (and in a stall at night.)
Thank you for the response!
Private Thoughts

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:32 pm

My husband and I were watching the La Verdad feed and he said the foal looked like she needed an enema to him, and he has worked with mares and foals for over 20 years. He said it looked like it needed to relieve itself but was having a hard time. He said it's a pretty routine thing with foals. Just his thoughts. That little one is adorable and her mom is clearly smitten with her baby girl.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Can't be #foalfriday without a foal picture or two...

Headley Bell @headleybell
9h9 hours ago
The Amerman’s ‘18 c. DANSILI/DEVINE ACTRESS, 3 days old and 1/2 to OSCAR PERFORMANCE & OSCAR NOMINATED @JuddmonteFarms

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
10h10 hours ago
HOLY BULL mares have been good to us over the years and stakes winner CANDYBEDANDY didn’t disappoint with a big flashy BAYERN colt last night in NY. Mare will visit IRONICUS #SF
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 pm

And this cutie...

Juddmonte Farms @JuddmonteFarms
14h14 hours ago
An exciting #FoalFriday... this handsome colt is a half-brother to the great Enable, being by Sea The Stars out of Concentric, and was born at 9.05pm on 1st March. The dam will be going back to Enable's sire Nathaniel this year #FoalWatch