Stallion News

Northport

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Diver52 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 pm
lurkey mclurker wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:11 am Kate Hunter is visiting studs for their stallion parades, today is Yushun... where she posted a pic of a familiar name from their cemetery. I had no idea he'd ended up in Japan! #TIL 8-)

In a thousand-way tie for "Least Imaginative Name Ever.".
Charles Fipke is punching the air right now
weeeeeeeee
FlyToTheStars

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Would love to see all the gravestones of the horses there! Any pics for coronado's quest?
CoronadosQuest

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:00 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 am
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 am Lurkey McLurker and Tachyon, if you are able to get any news about Chrome, please share it here. There are unconfirmed reports circulating on Facebook that he is sick, that he has not been eating and has lost weight. Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/486086998981726/
One guy stated that he was not shown during one stallion show and that they are postponing when he can go to the shed. They also stated that Japan's climate probably has something to do with it- they have snow one minute and then a lot of rain the next, and so on (sounds like the South lol). He also said he's recovering.
Yikes, the comments though.

Sounds like Japan weather is just like Wisconsin's right now... warm, cold, wet, warm, cold...
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:03 pm

FlyToTheStars wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 pm Would love to see all the gravestones of the horses there! Any pics for coronado's quest?
Here are the other pics she posted.
Narita Brian, 5th Japanese Triple Crown winner. Ended a drought.
His dam, Pacificus, is buried beside him.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Some interesting tidbits about studs from Kate Hunter.

Apparently Creator is referred to as Creator II in Japan.

Creator is just as spirited as ever, but Lani is a cool cucumber.

Epicharis enters stud this year at Yushun. Remember him?

So far, no flashy babies for Talismanic.

Roses In May has 501 winners from 701 starters.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
lurkey mclurker

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:51 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm Some interesting tidbits about studs from Kate Hunter.

That's mainly in the stud book, because the JBIS has another Creator from the USA registered (2004 model) as well.
Flanders

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:49 am

lurkey mclurker wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:51 pm
Mylute wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm Some interesting tidbits about studs from Kate Hunter.

That's mainly in the stud book, because the JBIS has another Creator from the USA registered (2004 model) as well.
I would say its because of the stallion Creator that stood in Japan and was retired to Old Friends.
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am

At last, definitive information about Chrome's illness thanks to the Paulick Report...https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... -in-japan/

Is anyone here familiar with enteritis in horses, its causes and prognosis?
Diver52

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am At last, definitive information about Chrome's illness thanks to the Paulick Report...https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... -in-japan/

That's good to hear--maybe the crazies at "California Chrome's Home" can stop fretting about coronavirus or begging someone "with unlimited resources" to rescue him. (Mike Bloomberg, check your messages.)
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Holly1972

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Diver52 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:35 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am At last, definitive information about Chrome's illness thanks to the Paulick Report...https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... -in-japan/

That's good to hear--maybe the crazies at "California Chrome's Home" can stop fretting about coronavirus or begging someone "with unlimited resources" to rescue him. (Mike Bloomberg, check your messages.)
They’re still crying on there. Someone even suggested that Trump needs to buy him. :roll: :roll:
KatieK101

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 pm

You know how I avoid the ‘Crazy Chromies’? I don’t spend my time reading their Facebook comments. Saves me a lot of exasperation ;)
DawnStorm

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm
Roses In May has 501 winners from 701 starters.
:shock: Thanks for the update--I often wonder how he's doing as a sire.
What is a mere individual to do? Live as sane and decent a life as you can, love your family and friends and understand that everybody is in this together.
--Ron Smith aka The Voice of Reason
DawnStorm

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Diver52 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:35 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am

:roll:
I like California Chrome, really I do. And his damsire was the MD-based Not For Love, but these Chromies? I hope I wasn't like that when I was that age! Asking Trump to buy him? Yeah, like the Secret Service would let a horse graze on the White House lawn. :roll: I know it's been done in the past but this is 2020 not 1820.
What is a mere individual to do? Live as sane and decent a life as you can, love your family and friends and understand that everybody is in this together.
--Ron Smith aka The Voice of Reason
Diver52

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:12 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 pm You know how I avoid the ‘Crazy Chromies’? I don’t spend my time reading their Facebook comments. Saves me a lot of exasperation ;)
I know, but every now and then I can't resist. It's like probing a bad tooth--you know it will hurt but you still do it.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
lurkey mclurker

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 pm

I don't know that I'd say it's definitive information because it's from Paulick... he basically just quotes exactly what the company said in their tweet. It's a mild case of enteritis, he's already feeling better, he's eating well, they look forward to showing him soon.

All the drahma llamas should be happy it wasn't a severe colic, that he was being monitored carefully and got treatment promptly. :roll:

ETA: sorry I didn't see the earlier tweet asking about Chrome, the company posted (yesterday? Tuesday? I forget) that he'd had a mild illness and they would be giving more details. Then yesterday (I think?) they posted the tweet that Paulick quoted. I don't think I'd be too worried about a mild case of enteritis following international shipping and quarantine... lots of OTTBs continue to have ulcer/GI issues even after retirement, so it could have been caused by a multitude of things. Fortunately it was caught quickly and responded well to prompt treatment.

And if he's lost weight, it was probably weight be could stand to lose. He looked in very good flesh when he arrived at Arrow Stud, IMO.
Last edited by lurkey mclurker on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lurkey mclurker

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 pm

Northport wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:13 pm
Diver52 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 pm
lurkey mclurker wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:11 am Kate Hunter is visiting studs for their stallion parades, today is Yushun... where she posted a pic of a familiar name from their cemetery. I had no idea he'd ended up in Japan! #TIL 8-)

In a thousand-way tie for "Least Imaginative Name Ever.".
Charles Fipke is punching the air right now
LOL I just saw your Fipke comment and :::lmao::: :lol:
CorridorZ75

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 am

lurkey mclurker wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 pm

I don't know that I'd say it's definitive information because it's from Paulick... he basically just quotes exactly what the company said in their tweet. It's a mild case of enteritis, he's already feeling better, he's eating well, they look forward to showing him soon.

All the drahma llamas should be happy it wasn't a severe colic, that he was being monitored carefully and got treatment promptly. :roll:

ETA: sorry I didn't see the earlier tweet asking about Chrome, the company posted (yesterday? Tuesday? I forget) that he'd had a mild illness and they would be giving more details. Then yesterday (I think?) they posted the tweet that Paulick quoted. I don't think I'd be too worried about a mild case of enteritis following international shipping and quarantine... lots of OTTBs continue to have ulcer/GI issues even after retirement, so it could have been caused by a multitude of things. Fortunately it was caught quickly and responded well to prompt treatment.

And if he's lost weight, it was probably weight be could stand to lose. He looked in very good flesh when he arrived at Arrow Stud, IMO.
Can't agree with you on the last statement because any stallion farm would want a decent amount of flesh on their stallion at the start of breeding season. When you are breeding upwards of a 100-200 mares per season, it does take a lot out of the stallion. They don't want them fat, but they also want some wiggle room.

I am happy he seems to be on the road to recovery. However, I am not sure I would call any enteritis something to not be worried about because any instance of it can trigger a secondary laminitis. Not to mention, from a stallion manager perspective, if he had a fever, it could also affect the viability of the sperm which is another reason they might be postponing his breeding season start.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:26 am

Posted for those who don't care for the Paulick Report. This is the Bloodhorse.com article and includes a brief video:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... THU7KtCs58

Like it or not, Chrome is a phenomenon. From the U.S. to Europe, to Latin America and now Japan, this horse captures hearts. He already has a fan club on Hokkaido. They were the first to break the news of his illness via social media.

Hopefully Google Chrome translated this correctly. It says (or should say) Thank you Hokkaido fans of Chrome. :)

北海道のChromeのファンに感謝します
Hokkaidō no kurōmu no fan ni kansha shimasu
Summer Bird

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Looks like the official California Chrome Facebook page is shutting down. Seems like the crazy side of Chrome’s fans ruined it for everyone, and yes the page is run by the Martins. It seems like they’re sick of getting attacked for anything that happens with Chrome and I don’t blame them.
Flanders

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:39 pm

Summer Bird wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 pm Looks like the official California Chrome Facebook page is shutting down. Seems like the crazy side of Chrome’s fans ruined it for everyone, and yes the page is run by the Martins. It seems like they’re sick of getting attacked for anything that happens with Chrome and I don’t blame them.
I mean the crazy side of fans ruins everything. People cry when owners don't share information about their horses but its damned if they do and damned if they don't. I follow a woman who gallops thoroughbreds at a track in Canada and she retrains OTTBs for new careers. One of her horses was diagnosed with EPM and people are blaming EPM on the horse having raced. Others are damning her for not euthanizing the horse now, the horse was just diagnosed on her vet is trying to help him recover from EPM. They also damned her for taking a foal away from its dam when the mare tried to kill it. Everyone has to have their opinion about everything and guess what? The owners/connections of horses don't give a crap what the "fans" opinion is. They don't know better than the connections and their vets on any subject. "Fans" can't expect to act like asshats and get information from connections. Its like when Rachel got sick and the idiots were calling the freaking clinic she was at. That isn't acceptable behavior.