2018 foals

Treve

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:18 pm

She looks more like a chestnut than a bay... love the bling! And look how sweet and curious she is. Pretty little girl... good job La Verdad! :D
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Catalina

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Horsebagger wrote:First, let's give the owner a break. She's obviously infatuated with her mare, so let's let her enjoy it however she wants. She's pretty new to this as well, right?
I realize that, but she makes the whole thing a lot more of an ordeal for the mare and the foal than it needs to be.
Retrospectiv

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Treve wrote:She looks more like a chestnut than a bay... love the bling! And look how sweet and curious she is. Pretty little girl... good job La Verdad! :D
Yes, definitely chestnut. Can't tell on the camera feed but she doesn't look overly over pigmented so she may stay chestnut too.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
mariasmon

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

I don't begrudge the owner wanting to be involved, but couldn't most of those people have watched from outside the stall? I think they could have all seen in just fine.
SSilence86

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Another photo op
Treve

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Treve wrote:She looks more like a chestnut than a bay... love the bling! And look how sweet and curious she is. Pretty little girl... good job La Verdad! :D
Yes, definitely chestnut. Can't tell on the camera feed but she doesn't look overly over pigmented so she may stay chestnut too.
Yeah the feed is making me doubt my eyes lol! I thought I saw a bit of lighter hairs around her eyes earlier, but hard to tell if they were real goggles. I'm sure we will have plenty of social media pics in no time to verify :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I didn't see the birth live, but just watched the footage and you all are right. It does seem like they didn't give that poor mare a chance to have her baby in peace.
SSilence86

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Treve wrote:Yeah the feed is making me doubt my eyes lol! I thought I saw a bit of lighter hairs around her eyes earlier, but hard to tell if they were real goggles. I'm sure we will have plenty of social media pics in no time to verify :lol:

Seems to have quite a bit of grey around her muzzle? Could be the lighting
Summer Bird

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Over here we have three people help with foalings, but we do just fine with two people as well. One person keeps the head up and the other two are pulling on the legs, but only when the mare is pushing. After the foal is born, we clean it up, put a naval clamp on the umbilical stump, and tie up the placenta. Then we leave the mare alone to bond with the foal. With all those people in the stall after the foal was born, I just feel like they were in the way of the two bonding.
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Summer Bird wrote:Over here we have three people help with foalings, but we do just fine with two people as well. One person keeps the head up and the other two are pulling on the legs, but only when the mare is pushing. After the foal is born, we clean it up, put a naval clamp on the umbilical stump, and tie up the placenta. Then we leave the mare alone to bond with the foal. With all those people in the stall after the foal was born, I just feel like they were in the way of the two bonding.
I totally agree. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about foaling, but have been with other animals who have given birth. It just seemed to me that the entire crowd was way too much in a hurry about everything and interfering too much. La Verdad has been a trouper through it all though. I admire the mare more than any of the people involved.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Probably not fair to say this because I haven't been watching continually, but La Verdad seems a bit like a helicopter mom herself. Maybe she got it from her peeps, LOL.
Summer Bird

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Summer Bird wrote:Over here we have three people help with foalings, but we do just fine with two people as well. One person keeps the head up and the other two are pulling on the legs, but only when the mare is pushing. After the foal is born, we clean it up, put a naval clamp on the umbilical stump, and tie up the placenta. Then we leave the mare alone to bond with the foal. With all those people in the stall after the foal was born, I just feel like they were in the way of the two bonding.
I totally agree. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about foaling, but have been with other animals who have given birth. It just seemed to me that the entire crowd was way too much in a hurry about everything and interfering too much. La Verdad has been a trouper through it all though. I admire the mare more than any of the people involved.
Yes definitely give La Verdad props for tolerating so much. Many mares would not appreciate having this many people in their stall when they are foaling. Also people should have moved out of the way after La Verdad was done foaling since she was clearly in a lot of pain with all the rolling she was doing afterwards. Don’t want to get smacked with one of her legs lol. Anyway glad to see the foal is healthy and doing well!
RuffiantoRags

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 pm

It was great to watch La Verdad's foaling. I do think there were too many people in that stall while she was in
heavy labor. Trying to pet her on her face and surrounding her with 10 people was a bit much while she was
in heavy labor. And it doesn't take 3 people to towel dry a foal, and having it's 1st photo session while the
poor mare couldn't even bond with the newborn. I'm glad it all worked out and mare & foal can have their
time alone now.
carole

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Welp, of course I missed the actual foaling after watching the cam pretty much non-stop for a week now :|
Katewerk

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 pm

You can rewind it to view. I agree -- I've delivered a lot of puppies, and having people around who aren't absolutely necessary to get the job done quietly and safely is a complication, not an asset. But they're the ones getting the big bucks, so what do I know? Glad to see all ended well.
Personal Ensign

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 pm

She's a darling foal I love the chrome on her. I know at one point during the foaling it looked like La Verdad wouldn't have enough room for the foal to come out, she was practically against the wall. I'm glad it turned out so well.

Any updates on Its In His Kiss's foal?
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Personal Ensign wrote:She's a darling foal I love the chrome on her. I know at one point during the foaling it looked like La Verdad wouldn't have enough room for the foal to come out, she was practically against the wall. I'm glad it turned out so well.

Any updates on Its In His Kiss's foal?
With all the people surrounding La Verdad, I felt a twinge of sadness about Its In His Kiss and her foal, like somehow they have been almost forgotten. Anyway, there's no news that I know of. I wish the National Museum would put some news on their website. They did provide an email address to the farm, but I'm reluctant to bother them. Feels intrusive even though the farm permitted their email address to be published.
carole

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Just watched it. It makes me super uncomfortable that they were in there for so long trying to get the filly to stand and then nurse. Surely they should let her do that on her own? The foal seemed much more comfortable once all the peoeple left the stall. And goodness La Verdad is an incredibly patient mare!
SSilence86

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 pm

I just received an email update on It's In His Kiss's filly.

She's alive & is a fighter!
I'll post the email in a second
Last edited by SSilence86 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSilence86

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Kristen,

Thank you for your kind words and concern. '18 It's In His Kiss presented to Rhinebeck Equine at approximately 90 minutes on age on March 11th. The filly had passed her meconium while in utero and failed to meet her normal milestones after delivery. The filly was very weak and unable to stand when she arrived. She has been treated very aggressively and has had 24 hour intensive care since admission. The filly developed meconium aspiration syndrome secondary to inhaling meconium while in the mare. The filly remains critical but has gained strength and is now able to stand with assistance.

Caitlin Malloy
c/o Edition Farm​​