The rise of Sunday Silence

tachyon

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:42 am

-- from TDN

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pe ... epicharis/

Pedigree insights: Epicharis
It is hard to imagine that it is now nearly 28 years since Sunday Silence provided Halo with his second victory in the GI Kentucky Derby, with his defeat of Easy Goer......

Epicharis(JPN) has accepted the invitation to run in the UAE Derby at Meydan.
Northport

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:05 am

Kind of surprised they are taking the Meydan route, considering he has already qualified for the Derby. Not complaining, though, he adds a lot of quality to the field.
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am

Northport wrote:Kind of surprised they are taking the Meydan route, considering he has already qualified for the Derby. Not complaining, though, he adds a lot of quality to the field.
The Hyacinth Stakes runner-up Adirato(JPN)(Rulership) has also accepted the invitation for the UAE Derby.

The UAE Derby is a G2 but a 2 million US$ race.
Plus, Dubai Racing Club pays shipping costs and provides many incentives to invited horses and his/her connections.
Everyone may know that the US TC Races are much more prestigious.
It still looks like Dubai is also a wonderful place...

-- 2017 Dubai World Cup Brochure
http://carnivalhorsemen.dubairacingclub ... 0FINAL.pdf

I hope that both Japanese runners will take the same route as Lani last year.
Let's see...
Treve

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:09 pm

tachyon wrote:
Northport wrote:Kind of surprised they are taking the Meydan route, considering he has already qualified for the Derby. Not complaining, though, he adds a lot of quality to the field.
The Hyacinth Stakes runner-up Adirato(JPN)(Rulership) has also accepted the invitation for the UAE Derby.

Plus, Dubai Racing Club pays shipping costs and provides many incentives to invited horses and his/her connections.

Let's see...
Would love to see them both qualify and run in the TC races, however I hope there will be one year where a qualified JPN horse will bypass Dubai and arrive in the US early, perhaps acclimating sooner to the US, or even having a prep race in the US could give them more of an edge come KY Derby day ;)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
tachyon

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:12 pm

tachyon wrote:
Starine wrote:
Treve wrote:Vivlos (Deep Impact) takes the Satsuki Sho! The full sister to Verxina (who was a runner up in all three classics behind Gentildonna) finished the 2000m test in 1:58.60 on firm turf.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ka-sho-win
Is she a true black? I have seen that one or two places and couldn't tell from the photos.
Like her sister Verxina, Vivlos is registered as black.

Vivlos Oct 6 2016
Vivlos Oct 7 2015

http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000727544/broodmare/info/
Vivlos(JPN), 2013F. Deep Impact(JPN) x Halwa Sweet(JPN) by Machiavellian(USA), won in the G1 Dubai Turf 1800m turf at Meydan on March 26th 2017.

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JI5u1Z0QIc
1st 9 Vivlos (JPN) 55 Y Tomomichi Joao Moreira
2rd 3 Heshem (IRE) 57 C Ferland Gregory Benoist 0.5
3rd 1 Ribchester (IRE) 57 R Fahey William Buick 0.5
4th 2 Zarak (FR) 57 A De Royer-Dupré Christophe Soumillon 1.75
5th 6 Mutakayyef (GB) 57 W Haggas Jim Crowley 3
6th 4 Decorated Knight (GB) 57 R Charlton Andrea Atzeni 1.25
7th 12 Deauville (IRE) 57 A O'Brien Ryan Moore NK
8th 11 Cougar Mountain (IRE) 57 A O'Brien Donnacha O'Brien (nil) 1.25
9th 10 Debt Collector (NZ) 57 C Brown Michael Rodd 1.25
10th 8 Very Special (IRE) 55 S bin Suroor Silvestre De Sousa 4.5
11th 7 Mondialiste (IRE) 57 D O'Meara Daniel Tudhope 4.25
12th 13 Long Island Sound (USA) 57 A O'Brien Seamie Heffernan 2
13th 5 Opal Tiara (IRE) 55 M Channon Oisin Murphy 18
lurkey mclurker

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:21 pm

What a flying finish by Vivlos!!! Thanks for the replay link tachyon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
tachyon

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:26 am

This might be a must-watch video!! :D

GLOBAL IMPACT : The Rise Of The Japanese Thoroughbred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IywC3QwJJuk
SKY Racing's new feature documentary Global Impact: The Rise of the Japanese Thoroughbred, traces the remarkable 30 year transformation of Japanese racing and breeding from industry outpost to global powerhouse, beginning with the first running of the Japan Cup in 1981. It is the story of a nation's determination to dominate racing at the highest level, of a family's bold ambition to revolutionise breeding and a single stallion's reshaping of an entire industry.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:10 pm

I didn't realize Sunday was only 16 when he died. :(
Treve

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:40 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I didn't realize Sunday was only 16 when he died. :(
He was a pre-Barbaro (and subsequent advances) Laminitis victim.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Northport

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 pm

It's crazy to think that he was indeed only 16 and had such an incredible impact on the sport. Imagine if he had another 5+ years at stud.
weeeeeeeee
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 pm

tachyon wrote:This might be a must-watch video!! :D

GLOBAL IMPACT : The Rise Of The Japanese Thoroughbred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IywC3QwJJuk
SKY Racing's new feature documentary Global Impact: The Rise of the Japanese Thoroughbred, traces the remarkable 30 year transformation of Japanese racing and breeding from industry outpost to global powerhouse, beginning with the first running of the Japan Cup in 1981. It is the story of a nation's determination to dominate racing at the highest level, of a family's bold ambition to revolutionise breeding and a single stallion's reshaping of an entire industry.
Thank you for posting that image of Sunday's grave (at least I assume that's what it is). Having lived in California at the time, I was privileged to see Sunday race several times and will always be a devoted fan of that horse. It was so disappointing that he was shipped overseas, but now in the fullness of time I'm grateful he went to Japan and was able to become the enormous influence he is today. Sometimes there is justice in this weary world.
Treve

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 am

Northport wrote:It's crazy to think that he was indeed only 16 and had such an incredible impact on the sport. Imagine if he had another 5+ years at stud.
I was just thinking the same. I'm sure he would have gotten his Arc winner! And who knows what else he could've done with dirt mares.
Nonetheless he has in my eyes earned his place amongst equine Japanese legends, right along with Matsukaze, the legendary mount of the samurai Maeda Keiji.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am

Treve wrote:Nonetheless he has in my eyes earned his place amongst equine Japanese legends, right along with Matsukaze, the legendary mount of the samurai Maeda Keiji.
Wow, high praise indeed. Sunday was something very, very special as a racehorse and a sire. I hate laminitis with a passion because it's taken the lives of too many horses I've loved with a passion. They are saving some horses with it now, if it can be caught early enough, but it still takes far too many.
tachyon

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 am

Wow!
I didn't realize that Keiji Maeda was so famous. :o :lol:
Starine

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 pm

tachyon wrote:Wow!
I also just really like the name Matsukaze. ;) And learning about famous horses from centuries ago.

tachyon

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Treve wrote:
tachyon wrote:

Let's see...
Would love to see them both qualify and run in the TC races, however I hope there will be one year where a qualified JPN horse will bypass Dubai and arrive in the US early, perhaps acclimating sooner to the US, or even having a prep race in the US could give them more of an edge come KY Derby day ;)
It's really a big shame that Epicharis won't go to the Kentucky Derby.
Once he comes back to Japan after the UAE Derby, he can't be ready to run in the US for the first Saturday in May.

(per DRF)
As with Epicharis, he returned to Japan following the race and must clear quarantine there. That presents an additional complication: Horses returning to Japan must spend a week in isolation, then another three weeks in quarantine, which would mean travel to the United States could not happen, at the earliest, until two weeks out from the Derby.
Last year, Lani came to the United States immediately after the UAE Derby.
Epicharis shouldn't have been shipped to UAE then....
:sigh:

It sounds like he is still possible for the Belmont Stakes.
But, sadly, it looks like few Japanese horsemen understand that one position at the starting gate of the Kentucky Derby is truly priceless. :(
And I have got to assume that Epicharis' connections had no plan to go the Kentucky Derby from the biginning... :twisted:
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:41 am

I would love to see more descendants of Sunday Silence run here in the United States.
Treve

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:02 pm

tachyon wrote:Wow!
I have some Japanese ancestry and was very interested in learning about the culture as a teenager (still am, just not with the same intensity)... also as a horsewoman I love learning about a culture's relationship to horses and their legendary/historical horses if any ;)
Re: Epicharis, I do think they intended on running him in the Derby but maybe they mentally decided it would be dependant on his performance in the UAE Derby and how he'd come out of it... perhaps they were not satisfied for whatever reason.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Ziggypop

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Tachyon,

Thank you for the link to that wonderful video! It was educational and a beautiful video to watch!
Treve

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 pm

tachyon wrote:
Treve wrote:
tachyon wrote:

Let's see...
It's really a big shame that Epicharis won't go to the Kentucky Derby.
Once he comes back to Japan after the UAE Derby, he can't be ready to run in the US for the first Saturday in May.

(per DRF)
As with Epicharis, he returned to Japan following the race and must clear quarantine there. That presents an additional complication: Horses returning to Japan must spend a week in isolation, then another three weeks in quarantine, which would mean travel to the United States could not happen, at the earliest, until two weeks out from the Derby.
Last year, Lani came to the United States immediately after the UAE Derby.
Epicharis shouldn't have been shipped to UAE then....
:sigh:

It sounds like he is still possible for the Belmont Stakes.
But, sadly, it looks like few Japanese horsemen understand that one position at the starting gate of the Kentucky Derby is truly priceless. :(
And I have got to assume that Epicharis' connections had no plan to go the Kentucky Derby from the biginning... :twisted:
I found an older article from before the UAE Derby, where the connections were already uncertain back then about the KY Derby because in their minds it is a very difficult race.
I guess that explains it but still when you have that quality of horse...
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...