Questionable Looking Yearlings

Diver52

Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:12 pm

3x2 isn't unusual in some breeds--it used to be common in Arabians although I haven't followed the breed for decades. The idea is that you will "fix" a desirable gene by doubling up on it. Of course you can also be doubling up on something undesirable so sometimes it really works, and sometimes it really doesn't.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
brunanas

Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:16 pm

every time this forum gets horrified at close inbreeding (i too get horrified) i can't not think about this HOF multiple champion and "superior sire" Shetland pony.

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/michigans+hart+breaker
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Ketama

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:12 pm

brunanas wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:16 pm every time this forum gets horrified at close inbreeding (i too get horrified) i can't not think about this HOF multiple champion and "superior sire" Shetland pony.

How about this colt - he doesn't really look questionable, but his pedigree does:

https://www.pedigreequery.com/incredible22

The German breeder owned both, sire and dam. The colt looked pretty normal but was very slow. He ran a couple of times as a 4yo and finished last or second last most of the time. After that he was gelded and sold as a riding horse. The inbreeding experiment was not retried. A half brother by Masterstroke (Monsun) is a sire in German Sport Horse breeding.

Foal:

Yearling:

4YO:

brunanas

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:55 pm

Ketama wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:12 pm
brunanas wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:16 pm every time this forum gets horrified at close inbreeding (i too get horrified) i can't not think about this HOF multiple champion and "superior sire" Shetland pony.

How about this colt - he doesn't really look questionable, but his pedigree does:

https://www.pedigreequery.com/incredible22

The German breeder owned both, sire and dam. The colt looked pretty normal but was very slow. He ran a couple of times as a 4yo and finished last or second last most of the time. After that he was gelded and sold as a riding horse. The inbreeding experiment was not retried. A half brother by Masterstroke (Monsun) is a sire in German Sport Horse breeding.

Foal:

Yearling:

4YO:

he's Incredible for sure.
she/her
mahubah

Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:11 pm

The great French breeder Marcel Boussac practiced a good deal of inbreeding and had a notable amount of success for a time but started with very high-quality stock. He also observed that with close inbreeding, you can fix desirable traits rapidly, but you have to shoot more foals. Eventually, between the deaths of his core stallions and failure to cull his broodmare band of an ever-increasing number of inbred mares that were too unsound to race or win, he was forced to seek potential outcross sires; unfortunately, his acquisitions of Whirlaway, Coaltown, Fervent, and Iron Liege from Calumet Farm all failed to provide what he needed, as Whirlaway died not too long afterward and the other three were stud failures. He probably needed to start looking for a good outcross at least 10 or 15 years before he actually did.

As I recall, the most notable examples of inbreeding among Boussac's horses were the full sisters Coronation V and Ormara, by two-time French champion and four-time French champion sire Djebel (Tourbillon x Loika) out of 1942 Poule d'Essai des Pouliches (French One Thousand Guineas) winner Esmeralda (Tourbillon x Sanaa). Adding to the inbreeding, Loika and Sanaa were both granddaughters of Teddy, the French champion sire of 1923 and a champion racehorse in France and Spain. Tourbillon won the 1931 Prix du Jockey Club (French Derby) and was a three-time French champion sire, so the overall quality of the pedigree was quite high. At any rate, Coronation V was a very high-quality race mare whose record includes the 1949 Poule d'Essai des Pouliches and Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, but she proved completely barren. Her sister Ormara was useless for racing but produced Locris, a high-class miler in France and a champion sire in Brazil. Go figure.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:58 pm

stelladaniella wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:23 pm I'm not sure if this completely belongs here, but something about this ones head made me question if I was browsing tb's or arabians.

I/M x Meal Ticket, hip 87 in the Saratoga sale.
Not sure if it was mentioned but this filly was named Peanutbutternjelly
CoronadosQuest

Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:02 pm

Gemini wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:20 pm This is an….interesting thread. Half these yearlings look ok to me. I’m sure if we saw photos of NFL players when they were in 7th grade, we wouldn’t find much to recommend them either.
Glad I am not the only one :lol:
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:19 am

Lots of thoroughbreds have heads that look more like a traditional Arabian's, but I would say heads that are that "dished" or "dishy" (lol) aren't that common. Thoroughbreds can also have Roman profiles.

Occasionally you can find these traits in other breeds, but the Arabian (and Akhal Teke) is a very common ancestor for a lot of breeds.

Specifically I remember seeing pictures of G1W Seeking the Soul where it looks like his profile is slightly Arabian in appearance.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
CoronadosQuest

Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:51 am

My favorite thoroughbred head will always be Madcap Escapade. She had such a cute refined face.
CoronadosQuest

Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:34 pm

the 2 September Keeneland yearlings mentioned here went for $1,200,000 (Nyquists' lil sister) and the other was withdrawn.
brunanas

Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:01 pm

there are a lot of fuglies but these are my personal favorites.

she/her
Akitaperson

Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:44 pm

brunanas wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:01 pm there are a lot of fuglies but these are my personal favorites.

Wow that last colt is probably one of the most butt high yearlings I've seen in a bit. I wonder what he will look like ones he stops growing and evens out
Northport

Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:08 pm

Okay but they didnt give the City of Light a hope with her stood up like that. Her hind legs are a foot closer to the camera than her front legs. Like yeah she’s over at the knee and all but give the girl a chance!
weeeeeeeee
stelladaniella

Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:22 pm

brunanas wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:01 pm there are a lot of fuglies but these are my personal favorites.

The I/M one has a very cute head. I love when it kinda goes outwards like that - just hope it's not a sign of sickness or such.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"