2019 Names

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

A great man once said, "My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined."

They really named a daughter of Beholder "Karin" in times like these.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:34 pm

:shock:
Karin?
:? Why that name now?
CorridorZ75

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:37 pm

I wish owners would take a moment and say the name out loud and then take another moment and wonder if they could envision and hear said name being shouted out in the stretch of a top stakes race. If you can't, reject the name. It is very simple.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Who exactly gets to decide the name of Beholder's foals? Who named Beholder?

I find it difficult to believe the same person who prophetically named Beholder is the same person who is naming her progeny QB One, Karin With an I, and Teena Ella (although the latter is actually kinda cute, IMO).

At least Zenyatta has Zellda, which I think sounds pretty and strong. I also personally like Ziconic but I'm not sure I would've picked that name.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
KatieK101

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:42 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:26 am This is just.....I've now given up hope that any of Beholder's foals will ever have a normal name.

Karin With an I, f. by Curlin - Beholder

Edit to add: They tried to name her Karin but it was rejected for being too similar to Caren, this was the only other name submitted.
oh my God. I wish they would just have another naming contest.
Mylute

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:45 pm

No, because they'll just pick something really bland and uninspired that was submitted by 100 different people.
Northport

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm

A naming contest always results in a barfy, Fipke style combo of the parents’ names I find. In this case, though, Curlholder would be preferable.

Maybe Karin is B Wayne Hughes’ wife? Sister? Mother? Mistress?

They do know how to name good horses at Spendthrift, that’s how we got Beholder and Into Mischief... maybe that person got fired.
weeeeeeeee
Retrospectiv

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Northport wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm A naming contest always results in a barfy, Fipke style combo of the parents’ names I find. In this case, though, Curlholder would be preferable.

They do know how to name good horses at Spendthrift, that’s how we got Beholder and Into Mischief... maybe that person got fired.
Sorry, I gotta take BeCurlin to win that 'average fan' naming matchup :lol: :lol:
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
mariasmon

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:05 pm

Northport wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm Maybe Karin is B Wayne Hughes’ wife? Sister? Mother? Mistress?
His wife is named Patricia. His kids are B. Wayne Jr. and Tamara.
Northport

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:07 pm
Northport wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm A naming contest always results in a barfy, Fipke style combo of the parents’ names I find. In this case, though, Curlholder would be preferable.

Sorry, I gotta take BeCurlin to win that 'average fan' naming matchup :lol: :lol:
I would tolerate Beholdin, they get the “in” from Curlin and they get that dire Karen/Karin vibe they need!
weeeeeeeee
Mylute

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:39 pm

"Holden" is a name/surname. Sounds pretty strong and classy.

That could've worked. They could even change the EN to an IN at the end.
Flanders

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Mylute wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm Who exactly gets to decide the name of Beholder's foals? Who named Beholder?

I find it difficult to believe the same person who prophetically named Beholder is the same person who is naming her progeny QB One, Karin With an I, and Teena Ella (although the latter is actually kinda cute, IMO).

At least Zenyatta has Zellda, which I think sounds pretty and strong. I also personally like Ziconic but I'm not sure I would've picked that name.
No idea who named most of them but they did run a contest to name QB One. I don't know if that name was submitted or if they just decided to use that name. There was some really bad names suggested then, not that QB One is better than them, actually I think its worse.

On a side note, its weird, I remember B. Wayne Hughes racing a lot of horses. He stopped at some point though and started racing under Spendthrift only. But Spendthrift barely races horses, they haven't had more than 35 starts since 2015.
Ziggypop

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:42 am

Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:26 am This is just.....I've now given up hope that any of Beholder's foals will ever have a normal name.

Karin With an I, f. by Curlin - Beholder

Edit to add: They tried to name her Karin but it was rejected for being too similar to Caren, this was the only other name submitted.
. Do they look for the worst names?
mariasmon

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm

KatieK101

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:23 pm

mariasmon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm Image
just saw this. it's very sweet, no doubt, but I still wish they would have thought of a different name to honor her.
Northport

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:06 pm

mariasmon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm Image
It's a thoughtful and kind gesture by Hughes, but even Karin's Dream (lookin' at you, Barbara Banke) would have been a better choice if we're going with tributes.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:07 pm
Mylute wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm Who exactly gets to decide the name of Beholder's foals? Who named Beholder?

On a side note, its weird, I remember B. Wayne Hughes racing a lot of horses. He stopped at some point though and started racing under Spendthrift only. But Spendthrift barely races horses, they haven't had more than 35 starts since 2015.
It's kind of strange though that they don't really race much anymore, because I remember on one of the virtual farm tour videos they posted in March/April, the host mentions that they don't offer boarding and that all the mares on the farm (can't remember the exact number, but I want to say 80-100?) are owned by Hughes. I know they are doing yearling sales prep, but does anyone know what vendor they use? Because they must be selling a lot, of not most, of their yearlings, but I never really see their name in any headlines for sale toppers or as breeders of at least graded stakes calibre horses. Or I'm just reading all the wrong articles - also a very real possibility.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:25 pm
Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:07 pm

It's kind of strange though that they don't really race much anymore, because I remember on one of the virtual farm tour videos they posted in March/April, the host mentions that they don't offer boarding and that all the mares on the farm (can't remember the exact number, but I want to say 80-100?) are owned by Hughes. I know they are doing yearling sales prep, but does anyone know what vendor they use? Because they must be selling a lot, of not most, of their yearlings, but I never really see their name in any headlines for sale toppers or as breeders of at least graded stakes calibre horses. Or I'm just reading all the wrong articles - also a very real possibility.
A ton of them. At 2019 Keeneland September, they used Paramount, Four Star, Taylor Made, Eaton, Denali, Mulholland, Legacy, Small Batch, Warrendale, and Vinery (and I maybe missed something). In 2018 they also used Summerfield and Mill Ridge.
Mylute

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 pm

I don't think I've seen a lot of Spendthrift-breds either. This is odd.
Flanders

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:25 pm It's kind of strange though that they don't really race much anymore, because I remember on one of the virtual farm tour videos they posted in March/April, the host mentions that they don't offer boarding and that all the mares on the farm (can't remember the exact number, but I want to say 80-100?) are owned by Hughes. I know they are doing yearling sales prep, but does anyone know what vendor they use? Because they must be selling a lot, of not most, of their yearlings, but I never really see their name in any headlines for sale toppers or as breeders of at least graded stakes calibre horses. Or I'm just reading all the wrong articles - also a very real possibility.
I know I already replied to this once but I didn't count how many they sold. Its really only around 30-ish at most yearlings and a handful of 2yos, sometimes they sell a few weanlings and a couple broodmares. Look at the sales prices on the weanlings for 2019...ouch.
http://www.equineline.com/Free-Auction- ... bleBuyers=
In other years they do have listings under other Spendthrift names, it just depends how the sales results were entered in this database for this, which kind of makes it a pain to use. But the vast majority are usually under that name that I linked above, so its easy to change years and search again.
Mylute wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 pm I don't think I've seen a lot of Spendthrift-breds either. This is odd.
From the past couple years I really only recognized a few names, Mia Mischief, Gas Station Sushi and Fauci.