Stallion News

Flanders

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:08 am

Stallions are almost always owned by syndicates, if the majority of shareholders vote don't sell then I can't see how they can sell them. Of course some shareholders may have signed papers to allow the syndicate manager to make the decision for them.

The vast majority of stallions that go to stud in Kentucky are not going to stay there. It would be interesting to see numbers on the amount of stallions that went to stud in Kentucky over a 5 year span, that have foals of racing age, and where they are standing now. I would imagine the amount that are still in Kentucky is well under 10%. Maybe if I get really bored sometime I will try and do this.

In Take Charge Indy's case they do have a buyback clause if he turned out to be successful. Maybe they will exercise it and bring him back to the United States in the future?
Treve wrote: I believe in the case of Take Charge Indy the situation was slightly different - whilst he was not super well received here, the KRA approached WinStar rather than the other way around. And apparently made an offer that was "too good to pass up".
I think that was the case with Colonel John and Tiz Wonderful as well.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:17 am

I feel like I'm seeing a fair number of winners by Tiz Wonderful; I know the UAE Oaks winner, Rayya, is by him.
Flanders

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:16 am

Flanders wrote:The vast majority of stallions that go to stud in Kentucky are not going to stay there. It would be interesting to see numbers on the amount of stallions that went to stud in Kentucky over a 5 year span, that have foals of racing age, and where they are standing now. I would imagine the amount that are still in Kentucky is well under 10%.
I just ran some quick numbers, its probably not 100% accurate as I was using the First crop sire list of the specific year and then looking at where stallions are now based on the stallion register.

I accidentally did 6 years instead of 5, but for stallions whose first year at stud was from 2007-2012:
138 stallions started stud in Kentucky and at least 12 died while they were still at stud in Kentucky, so I removed them from my calculations completely because besides Scat Daddy, I have no idea where they would be now.

32 of the remaining 126 are still in Kentucky for a 25% retention rate. This number was really surprising to me. There were some exceptionally strong stallion crops during a few years and one year that was really bad.

Here is the information: (first year at stud, # of stallions in Kentucky, # that started in Kentucky)
2007: 4 out of 23
2008: 4 out of 24 (an additional 6 stallions died while at stud in Kentucky, not included in total)
2009: 6 out of 25 (two additional stallions died, not included)
2010: 1 out of 16 (one additional stallion died, not included)
2011: 11 out of 18 (one additional stallion died, not included)
2012: 6 out of 20 (two additional stallions died, not included)
Last edited by Flanders on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sweettalk

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:14 am

how many of those left KY but stayed stateside?
Flanders

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:11 am

sweettalk wrote:how many of those left KY but stayed stateside?
I tried, found 5 more stallions that died while standing in Kentucky so adjusted the above.

total - 138
died - 18 (4 of these died in foreign countries, 2 while shuttling)
pensioned - 3
still in Kentucky - 32
still in US(outside Kentucky) - 27
Foreign Countries - 51 (I'm guessing that Artie Schiller and Istan stayed where ever they shuttle to, so I added them here, 2018 was the first time they didn't return to Kentucky)
Unknown - 7 - they have no death report, no exports and no mares bred for a number of years
Last edited by Flanders on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:05 am

@Flanders, thanks so much for your research. The numbers are very interesting. When combined with stats from the top end of the stallion market, where only a small number of stallions are getting large books of mares, it seems to me breeders are squeezing the North American gene pool into a relatively narrow spectrum. Maybe I'm overreacting to the numbers?

As for Take Charge Indy, I would love to see him brought back to the states if there is a buyback clause. The commercial market is not always right about a stallion, as we've seen before.
mosieposie12

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Decided to have a little fun with stallions that start at the big stud farms and are either sold or move to a different state. Started with Bluegrass Cat and plan on analyzing all WinStar stallions that have been sold or moved in the past 10 years.

Bluegrass Cat (Storm Cat x She's A Winner by A. P. Indy)
Bay Horse
(11: 5-4-0) $1,761,280 MGSW & MGSP
Stood at WinStar Farm, KY
2007-$50,000 (148) Mares Bred
2008-$50,000 (125)
2009-$40,000 (133)
2010-$25,000 (147)
2011-$25,000 (149)
Stood at Vinery, NY
2012-$17,500 (118)
2013-$15,000 (65)
Stood at Rockridge Farm, NY
2014-$7,500 (58)
Stands at Ballena Vista Farm, CA
2015-$6,500 (70)
2016-$6,500 (58)
2017-$7,500 (39)
2018-$7,500

Entered Stud: 2007
Foals of Racing Age: 727
GSW: 6
Blacktype Winners: 32
ThreeMustangs

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Isn't it a little odd to change farms in the middle of breeding season?

Shaman Ghost Relocated to Lovacres Ranch

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
Ioya Two

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Yes. More like they're probably not getting either the kind of mares or the quantity they want at 10k so they're forced to drop him a notch. Definitely more to this story.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Northport

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:37 pm

Odd is definitely the first word that comes to mind when I think of Shaman Ghost's stallion career. The whole idea of standing him as part of 'revitalizing' the industry in California seems like a drop in the bucket, even more so now that he has been relocated and his fee has been cut. The whole Stronach wanting to sell his main Kentucky farm and move some assets to California thing seems... ill advised. But, it's his money and he does have the best intentions for the industry.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he builds his own stallion station in Cali, like he did a few years after he brought stallions back to Ontario.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:40 pm

Northport wrote:Odd is definitely the first word that comes to mind when I think of Shaman Ghost's stallion career. The whole idea of standing him as part of 'revitalizing' the industry in California seems like a drop in the bucket, even more so now that he has been relocated and his fee has been cut. The whole Stronach wanting to sell his main Kentucky farm and move some assets to California thing seems... ill advised. But, it's his money and he does have the best intentions for the industry.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he builds his own stallion station in Cali, like he did a few years after he brought stallions back to Ontario.
Maybe the farm priced him to high for what the California breeders are willing to pay? Maybe it had something to do with fertility like when Dixie Union moved to Lane's End partway through his first year at stud. Maybe its just Stronach being Stornach.
Izvestia

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:52 am

He’s better off in New York, Maryland or Ontario.
Northport

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am

From Al Shaqab's Facebook:
It is with deep sorrow that we announce the passing of Prix Morny Gr.1 winner #TheWowSignal, who has been fighting against laminitis for the past months.
A big blow to our team who have been caring for him since he arrived at Haras de Bouquetot in 2016. #TheWowSignal is survived by two small crops of progeny since he was subfertile, with 8 yearlings registered to be born in France.

I had no idea that he had the same fertility problems as his sire, Starspangledbanner. After he retired, they never really released any news or updates.
weeeeeeeee
Ioya Two

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:57 pm

That whole sireline is plagued with fertility problems. Danzig had some problems, but not on the remote level of Starspangledbanner or The Wow Signal. The only one I don't know much about there would be Danehill Dancer. Anyone know? I would guess since he was at Coolmore Ireland the entire time, that he was fine. Since they're known for having huge books.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Flanders

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Ioya Two wrote:That whole sireline is plagued with fertility problems. Danzig had some problems, but not on the remote level of Starspangledbanner or The Wow Signal. The only one I don't know much about there would be Danehill Dancer. Anyone know? I would guess since he was at Coolmore Ireland the entire time, that he was fine. Since they're known for having huge books.
He had fertility problems starting in 2010. In 2014 he did not get any mares in foal and was pensioned in May.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Vics to leave U.S. for stud duty in Korea
Vics, a horse owned and raced in the U.S. by the Korean Racing Authority, has been exported to begin his stallion career in South Korea, making a bit of history in the process.

The 4-year-old son of Flatter is the first horse campaigned exclusively in the U.S. by Korea’s governing body overseeing Thoroughbred racing, breeding and purchasing to enter stud in the country at the conclusion of his racing career. Korea has been an active buyer of U.S. stallions and prospects in the past, but Vics represents a more organic approach to developing future Korean stallions with American bloodlines.

Racing under the name KRA Stud Farm, the operation maintains a small stable of horses purchased in the U.S. and kept there to run, combined with some exported Korean-breds. Horses of note campaigned by the KRA in the U.S. include Grade 2-placed J.S. Choice, the talented sprinter Mr. Crow, and K Wave, who finished fourth in last year’s Grade 3 Mr. Prospector Stakes at Gulfstream Park.

Ben Colebrook trained Vics and conditions six runners for the KRA. He has been working with the group for about a year and a half after being introduced by Kentucky-based bloodstock agent Jun Park, a Korean native.

“The idea is to try to make stallions in the U.S. and send them back to Korea instead of trying to buy them at a premium after they’re made,” Colebrook said. “I’m hoping things can click and they can make a few studs in the process, send them back to Korea, and keep everybody happy.”

Vics was purchased by the KRA for $50,000 at the 2015 Keeneland September yearling sale.
More: http://www.drf.com/news/vics-leave-us-stud-duty-korea
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Elusive Quality Euthanized at Age 25
Darley stallion Elusive Quality, sire of such grade 1 winners as Smarty Jones , Raven's Pass, and Quality Road , succumbed to the infirmities of old age and has been euthanized at age 25, the farm announced March 14.

Dan Pride, chief operating officer of Godolphin in America, said, "Elusive Quality represented so many things to so many people. He was one of Sheikh Mohammed's early racing successes here in the U.S., and he then was the second stallion to stand for him in America, with Quiet American being the first. His son Smarty Jones won the (Kentucky) Derby and captured the hearts of a nation. And to the team here at Jonabell, he was just a pleasure to be around and he's going to be greatly missed."

Pensioned from stud duties in June of 2017, Elusive Quality was trained by Bill Mott and raced in the colors of Sheikh Mohammed before retiring to Gainsborough Farm in Versailles, Ky.,in 1999. Gainsborough was then owned by Sheikh Mohammed's eldest brother, Sheikh Maktoum, but upon his passing in 2006, Elusive Quality was relocated to Jonabell, along with Quiet American.

When he retired Elusive Quality's stud fee was set at $10,000, but it didn't remain at that level very long, given the early success he achieved. His very first crop produced 11 black-type winners, including French grade 1 winner and champion Elusive City. Foals from his second crop included the aforementioned dual classic winner and champion Smarty Jones, plus Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (G1) winner and champion Maryfield. By 2007 his fee reached $100,000.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -at-age-25
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Darley's release...

Darley @DarleyStallions
45m45 minutes ago
We are sad to report that #ElusiveQuality has been euthanized today at age 25.

He is pictured below with his longtime groom Steve Clark, who looked after him for almost 20 years. Read more here: https://www.darleyamerica.com/news/elus ... zed-age-25

Treve

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Anyone know how many mares he covered in 2017? He does seem to have an excellent son in Quality Road of course, but it's always sad to say goodbye. :(
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
mariasmon

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Treve wrote:Anyone know how many mares he covered in 2017? He does seem to have an excellent son in Quality Road of course, but it's always sad to say goodbye. :(