Stallion News

Starine

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Was so disappointed to hear about City Zip earlier today. He was truly a very underrated sire and one who could get all types -- sprinters, main track runners, turf horses and even a few two-turn horses.

I'd be curious who was in his final book.
Private Thoughts

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Northport wrote:

It looks like they are walking him from one barn on the property to another... should they have trailered him? :roll: It didn't look like he was in any danger whatsoever, if you lit the path you're in the wrong, but if you don't you're also in the wrong. Maybe they'll install some streetlights for Chrome.
Really not sure where they are walking him from. Personally as one who has worked on major tb farms here in KY and whose husband has worked for the sheik's farms among others, both of us thought it was a bit odd that they would do something like this with a horse worth millions in a new and unfamiliar environment. When stallions do stupid things like flip over just being led out of their stalls or to their paddocks in broad daylight, and end up dying, doing this in the dark in an unfamiliar place seems a bit risky. Most farms we both have worked at usually have unloading areas close to the barns.

I am not, nor is my husband some kinda Chrome nut job, just former farm workers who find this all a bit odd. I was not being a smart a$$ or snarky in my comments. But sure, maybe they need to pave the road with red carpet and have street light lining his path to his stall where he needs to have pictures of all his family on the walls and a pillow and blankie in the stall and maybe a pacifier to boot. Cause that is what I implied isn't it. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
CoronadosQuest

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Northport wrote:

It looks like they are walking him from one barn on the property to another... should they have trailered him? :roll: It didn't look like he was in any danger whatsoever, if you lit the path you're in the wrong, but if you don't you're also in the wrong. Maybe they'll install some streetlights for Chrome.
Really not sure where they are walking him from. Personally as one who has worked on major tb farms here in KY and whose husband has worked for the sheik's farms among others, both of us thought it was a bit odd that they would do something like this with a horse worth millions in a new and unfamiliar environment. When stallions do stupid things like flip over just being led out of their stalls or to their paddocks in broad daylight, and end up dying, doing this in the dark in an unfamiliar place seems a bit risky. Most farms we both have worked at usually have unloading areas close to the barns.

I am not, nor is my husband some kinda Chrome nut job, just former farm workers who find this all a bit odd. I was not being a smart a$$ or snarky in my comments. But sure, maybe they need to pave the road with red carpet and have street light lining his path to his stall where he needs to have pictures of all his family on the walls and a pillow and blankie in the stall and maybe a pacifier to boot. Cause that is what I implied isn't it. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
He arrived at 4am and maybe they wanted Chrome to stretch his legs a bit because he was on a trailer/plane for so long before putting him in the stall for the night?
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Northport wrote:

Really not sure where they are walking him from.
They were walking him from where the shipping van stopped and let him out to where his barn is. I watched the entire series of short video clips. Stating the obvious, of course, but they don't have lights installed along that path. Chrome arrived at their farm in the wee hours of the morning, so I suppose using the vehicle's headlights was all they had. Fortunately, Chrome has an absolutely wonderful temperament. But I agree with you that it did seem risky to walk him. Didn't look like that lane was wide enough for shipping van.

I have learned through this forum that horses can sometimes react badly to major changes in their environment. So I can't help be concerned for the well-being of stallions who are shuttled even though I fully understand why it's done. Some of the top South American breeders are planning to send their best mares to Chrome, so in that respect shuttling there might be a great thing for him.
Treve

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am

The problem is that no matter what, it was going to be an extremely different environment, with different structures/setups available. This is Chile, you will not have the same facilities and infrastructure as Australia, for example.
Not sure the dark is really anything bothersome to him, horses see a lot better in it than we do, the lights were probably for the humans more than the horse.
Under the circumstances it might've been the best they could do, and in fact the rationale might've been to give him a chance to take in his new surroundings.

Gutted to hear about City Zip.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
bare it all

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Life At Zen wrote:
bare it all wrote:Well damn. So much for hoping Zenyatta would visit him. Very sad.
He's just shuttling.
Pretty sure bare it all meant City Zip.
Yes, sorry, it was re: City Zip.
Life At Zen

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:05 pm

That makes more sense then!
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Ziggypop

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Northport wrote:

I found it very very odd as well.
Charlie

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Sucks about City Zip.

Owe I don't know why I read that Chrome page.. it hurts my brain. These people know nothing about horses.
TapitsGal

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Charlie wrote:Sucks about City Zip.

Owe I don't know why I read that Chrome page.. it hurts my brain. These people know nothing about horses.
Don't worry... I was informed today that there is no way whatsoever Taylor Made or the Martins would ever sell Chrome overseas because after all he's Americas horse
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Paco Boy sold to stand in Turkey
Sire of Galileo Gold leaves Highclere Stud
Classic-winning sire Paco Boy has been sold to continue his stallion career at the Turkish Jockey Club's Karacabey Pension Stud, in a deal brokered by Richard Venn and Edward Daly.

"The stallion was purchased by a partnership of nine people," said the Turkish Jockey Club's Ayebegum Canbolat. "His fee has not been finalised yet, but the plan is for the stallion to stand in TJK's farm in Karacabey.

Paco Boy joins Always A Classic, Banknote, Cuvee, Lion Heart, Powerscourt and Victory Gallop on the TJK roster.
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... key/294664
Treve

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Paco Boy sold to stand in Turkey
Sire of Galileo Gold leaves Highclere Stud
Classic-winning sire Paco Boy has been sold to continue his stallion career at the Turkish Jockey Club's Karacabey Pension Stud, in a deal brokered by Richard Venn and Edward Daly.

"The stallion was purchased by a partnership of nine people," said the Turkish Jockey Club's Ayebegum Canbolat. "His fee has not been finalised yet, but the plan is for the stallion to stand in TJK's farm in Karacabey.

Paco Boy joins Always A Classic, Banknote, Cuvee, Lion Heart, Powerscourt and Victory Gallop on the TJK roster.
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... key/294664
when even producing classic winners isn't enough to keep a stallion standing in one place anymore! Safe travels to him hope he finds continued success there.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Diver52

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Is Candy Ride the most successful South American horse ever to stand in the U.S.? I can only think of the flops (Gentlemen) and modest successes (maybe Lord at War). Even the mares don't usually reproduce well. Of course Candy Ride's pedigree is pretty U.S.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Diver52 wrote:Is Candy Ride the most successful South American horse ever to stand in the U.S.? I can only think of the flops (Gentlemen) and modest successes (maybe Lord at War). Even the mares don't usually reproduce well. Of course Candy Ride's pedigree is pretty U.S.
Oops, meant to post that in the "Matings 2017" thread after looking at mares booked to Candy Ride.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
middleground

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Diver52 wrote:Is Candy Ride the most successful South American horse ever to stand in the U.S.? I can only think of the flops (Gentlemen) and modest successes (maybe Lord at War). Even the mares don't usually reproduce well. Of course Candy Ride's pedigree is pretty U.S.

Forli was a pretty successful stallion, Endeavour II did fairly well, and Cougar II sired a Derby winner. Tatan and Pronto come to mind as other SA major imports; they didn't have the same impact as Forli, but you'll see them pop up in pedigrees from time to time, probably because they were bred to a lot of blue-blooded Phipps and Hancock mares.
Diver52

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 am

I remember Forli as a brilliant runner, but wasn't sound enough to run more than a couple of times in the US.
Treve

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 am

I think with Lord At War being Pioneerof the Nile's broodmare sire, he is having a prolonged impact. But aside from those middleground named I'm struggling.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Ridan_Remembered

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:05 am

In the meantime...down in Chile, Chrome's arrival has been covered as big news in their media. He has already been booked to about 100 mares, and their breeding season is just beginning. Their goal to fill his book is 140 mares.

The headline in this article translates as "California Chrome came to Chile and is already a sensation"
http://www.turfdiario.com/california-ch ... sensacion/
Treve

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:In the meantime...down in Chile, Chrome's arrival has been covered as big news in their media. He has already been booked to about 100 mares, and their breeding season is just beginning. Their goal to fill his book is 140 mares.

The headline in this article translates as "California Chrome came to Chile and is already a sensation"
http://www.turfdiario.com/california-ch ... sensacion/
In a nutshell, that's why I was excited when I first heard about him shuttling. I had no doubt he'd be highly regarded and well supported there. I'm sure he'll have no trouble filling his book. His arrival was compared to that of Messi by some of the major outlets which is high praise
Also the article says the goal is 150 mares, and that he covered 146/147 mares in the US.

ETA there's no mention of what his stud fee is in Chile however, they do reiterate he stood for 40k in the US.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Diver52

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:19 pm

I've always wondered about setting stud fees in SA where the purses are generally much lower.