Stallion News

BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 pm

I'd like to compliment Coolmore's stallion managers; Galileo has become a great sire, but I don't think he could have achieved such success if the people arranging his books hadn't chosen the right mares, with the best crosses, for him.
IMHO, it's not an easy task to find the perfect mares for a stallion. Ken Ramsey has done it; he really worked hard (and spent the money) to find what he felt were the best crosses for his Kitten's Joy.
On the other hand, it appears that the Japanese breeders who acquired Empire Maker never quite found the right formula for him. Hopefully, now that he's back in Kentucky, he'll do better. Perhaps Pioneerof the Nile and Bodemeister will provide meaningful clues about the best crosses for him?
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insane Crazy

Wed May 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Treve wrote:
Retrospectiv wrote:2 more Classic winners for Galileo, in 2 days.

Churchill took the 2000 Guineas yesterday and now Winter took the fillies version just this morning.

No idea why anyone even runs up against Coolmore and their Galileos in the Classics :?
To be fair last year it wasn't a Galileo who won the Guineas (though Galileo was the damsire... :lol: )
I suppose the question should be 'which Galileo will win' if there are more than one in the field...
Are we gonna come up with a "the other Galileo" angle, ala "the other Baffert"? ;)
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Northport

Wed May 10, 2017 9:47 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'd like to compliment Coolmore's stallion managers; Galileo has become a great sire, but I don't think he could have achieved such success if the people arranging his books hadn't chosen the right mares, with the best crosses, for him.
IMHO, it's not an easy task to find the perfect mares for a stallion. Ken Ramsey has done it; he really worked hard (and spent the money) to find what he felt were the best crosses for his Kitten's Joy.
On the other hand, it appears that the Japanese breeders who acquired Empire Maker never quite found the right formula for him. Hopefully, now that he's back in Kentucky, he'll do better. Perhaps Pioneerof the Nile and Bodemeister will provide meaningful clues about the best crosses for him?
Coolmore definitely has nailed down what works with Galileo - though he does well with most mares, he does outstanding with mares who won over 5f.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... off/284751

It's worth mentioning that all of Galileo's G1 winners last year were trained by Aidan O'Brien and/or bred by Coolmore - they know what works and they're sticking to it.
weeeeeeeee
Treve

Thu May 11, 2017 1:03 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'd like to compliment Coolmore's stallion managers; Galileo has become a great sire, but I don't think he could have achieved such success if the people arranging his books hadn't chosen the right mares, with the best crosses, for him.
On the other hand, it appears that the Japaneses breeders who acquired Empire Maker never quite found the right formula for him. Hopefully, now that he's back in Kentucky, he'll do better. Perhaps Pioneerof the Nile and Bodemeister will provide meaningful clues about the best crosses for him?
Well, Bodemeister, American Pharoah and Classic Empire are all out of Storm Cat/line mares if that's any indication. There's also Always Dreaming and Midnight Storm who've got different nicks entirely though. Royal Delta was out of an AP Indy mare (and PotN's graded stakes winning daughter Dark Nile was out of a Bernardini mare.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 17, 2017 5:55 pm

I posted an article in the In memoriam 2017 thread, but this seems more appropriate here.

Harris D. Auerbach‏ @AuerHeat
It is with an extremely heavy heart that I have to report the passing of my brother, my friend and my hero Unusual Heat today at 27 . RIP
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 pm

From the Washington Post:

Triple Crown winner American Pharoah is a stud and a gentleman
By Chuck Culpepper May 17 at 3:34 PM
VERSAILLES, Ky. — The slatted door opens, and an unprepared jaw drops. Even for eyes that have seen a thousand thoroughbreds while unable to discern the extremely beautiful from the even more extremely beautiful, the sight of American Pharoah in the back corner of his stall at 4:30 p.m. on a Tuesday can look as stunning as all Mykonos.

Oddly, maybe even nuttily, he seems to realize he is in the process of being admired. If he doesn’t quite blink his eyes bashfully, he does resonate that effect. He manages to convey the feeling — possibly errant; we’ll never know — that he’s both aware he’s majestic and a trifle surprised at the fact he’s majestic.

He became the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years in 2015, tacked on the 2015 Breeders’ Cup Classic at nearby Keeneland, posted a first-year stud fertility rate of 90 percent and, after starting his stud life in February 2016, should have somewhere around 150 foals prancing the Earth by the end of May. Maybe it’s hard to stand in a fine stone barn in the drop-dead Kentucky-pretty of Ashford Stud and fend off conceit.

He’s good at the fending, too.

“He’s probably the quietest stallion that I’ve been around in 40 years dealing with stallions,” said Richard Barry, the Ireland-bred stallion manager at Ashford, which the breeding giant Coolmore of County Tipperary, Ireland, has owned since 1984. “He’s a pure gentleman.”

“He is different, temperament-wise,” said Scott Calder, the New Zealand-bred sales and marketing manager for Coolmore. “He is quite amazing, really, just how laid-back he is and how good he is with people. You wish every horse was this easy, as he is. I think that was part of why he was able to do what he did. Obviously, he has talent, but especially the Triple Crown, you’ve got the crowds and the travel, and if you put too much energy out on the training track in the morning, that’s going to catch up with you, too. So you’d have to think that was part of what got him through it, I’m sure.”

“Oh my goodness,” said Anne Sabatino Hardy, whose three-year-old organization, Horse Country, books and conducts tours for 36 farms and other outlets. “In the few times I’ve gotten to meet him, he has a presence about him. He was such an incredible athlete. And I think that there’s something about him, deep down, where he senses his responsibility as an ambassador to the sport. He just understands, in a way that he relates to people and relates to all the things in his sport. He just seems to take to everything with such ease.”
More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/t ... 969d4fb825
Starine

Wed May 17, 2017 8:37 pm

I was very sorry to read about Unusual Heat's passing. He was such a neat horse -- I really appreciated his good looks and uncommon pedigree. And of course his ability to get all kinds of runners -- turf horses, dirt horses, synthetic runners, routers, milers, sprinters, etc.

Despite this, I never really felt he got the quality of mares he truly deserved. I think he could have been more than a regional sire were he given the chance. I hope his good son Acclamation can carry on the line.
Diver52

Wed May 17, 2017 9:19 pm

I always enjoyed seeing those bays with chrome that Unusual Heat seemed to throw. He'll be missed.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
bare it all

Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 am

Diver52 wrote:I always enjoyed seeing those bays with chrome that Unusual Heat seemed to throw. He'll be missed.
Agreed. Quite a legacy he is leaving. How's he done as a bm sire thus far? I imagine he's got enough mares producing at this point?
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 18, 2017 2:25 pm

We may find out how UH does as a broodmare sire through his daughters in Japan. IIRC, they bought a bunch of his daughters when they went through the ring.
neighhey

Thu May 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Hit It a Bomb will shuttle to Haras Firmamento in Argentina, rather than to Spendthrift Australia.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -argentina
Starine

Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 pm

The late Giant Oak got his first graded stakes winner when Vertical Oak took the Miss Preakness earlier today.
Northport

Sun May 21, 2017 8:01 am

Multiple G1 winner and 2, Reckless Abandon, had his first winner at Navan today. He has one sole, small, crop, as he was removed from covering duties halfway through his first season at Darley Ireland due to fertility issues. He was returned to training but lacked his former speed and was retired again, and has since been gelded and is now a polo pony

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... %20Abandon
weeeeeeeee
Treve

Tue May 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Multiple G1 winner and sire Devil His Due has passed away. He was Euthanized on May 22nd at the age of 28 due to infirmities of old age.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 23, 2017 4:12 pm

In "Of course they did" news...Coolmore has acquired the breeding rights to Two-Year-Old Champ Classic Empire, continuing their goal of scooping up all our juvenile champs. :P ;)
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... retirement
Treve

Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:In "Of course they did" news...Coolmore has acquired the breeding rights to Two-Year-Old Champ Classic Empire, continuing their goal of scooping up all our juvenile champs. :P ;)
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... retirement
I suspect because he is similarly bred to Pharoah they also didn't want him to end up in the hands of the competition.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Sparrow Castle

Tue May 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Meanwhile, Henrythenavigator is no longer at Coolmore...

Called To The Bar gutsy winner of Prix du Lys for exiled sire
Henrythenavigator, a son of Kingmambo, was a dual Guineas winner and also won the St James's Palace and Sussex Stakes before his retirement to stud. He stood for four years in Ashford Stud in Kentucky because transferring to Coolmore in Ireland in 2013.

He has sired three juvenile Group 1 winners including Sudirman and Pedro The Great, both on the roll of honour of the Phoenix Stakes, and George Vancouver, winner of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf.

His stud fee had been in sharp decline before his departure to Russia last year.
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... 0The%20Bar
middleground

Tue May 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Heaping even greater praise on the stallion, O'Neill added, "He's my Uncle Mo from couple of years ago."

Interesting article from BH about the buzz surrounding Orb:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... allion-orb
tachyon

Sat May 27, 2017 3:45 am

Treve wrote:Multiple G1 winner and sire Devil His Due has passed away. He was Euthanized on May 22nd at the age of 28 due to infirmities of old age.
RIP Devil His Due.
I personally hope that his grandson Dream Valentino(JPN)(by Roses in May) will become a stallion.

http://www.jrha.or.jp/stallion_e/horse/ ... ses_in_May

Devil His Due(USA)

Roses in May(USA)

Dream Valentino(JPN)
Starine

Sun May 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I would love for Dream Valentino to become a stallion.

Roses In May really takes after his sire.