California Chrome to Japan

CorridorZ75

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:23 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 pm Hopefully she will be kept in allowance conditions now.
Pretty big jump from 10K MCL to allowance.
Private Thoughts

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:25 am

California Chrome has his first grade 1 winner!!! A turf winner at that, but a grade 1 win at Keeneland is impressive to me.

She's a gorgeous chrome chestnut like her father.

So happy for him.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -jessamine
Slewfan2

Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:08 am

Private Thoughts wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:25 am California Chrome has his first grade 1 winner!!! A turf winner at that, but a grade 1 win at Keeneland is impressive to me.

She's a gorgeous chrome chestnut like her father.

So happy for him.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -jessamine
The Jessamine is a G2, not a G1
Squeaky

Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am

Overall what do breeders think about how CC is doing so far at stud?
Flanders

Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:01 pm

Squeaky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am Overall what do breeders think about how CC is doing so far at stud?
First I'm going to say that I like California Chrome. But I guarantee that the breeders that sold him to Japan aren't losing any sleep over their decision.
Private Thoughts

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:48 pm

It was early, so I misread the article. Sorry about that.

As for folks losing sleep, I doubt it, I think people have a lot more important things to worry about.

Personally, watching his beautiful filly win that race was a sunny spot in a horrible world at present. So I will take little doses of happiness as they come.
Slewfan2

Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:48 pm It was early, so I misread the article. Sorry about that.

As for folks losing sleep, I doubt it, I think people have a lot more important things to worry about.

Personally, watching his beautiful filly win that race was a sunny spot in a horrible world at present. So I will take little doses of happiness as they come.
No need to apologize ..a G2 is still a nice prize !
Gemini

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:17 pm

Unless California Chrome gets a male graded states winner on dirt, I doubt many breeders will care. There's still a lot of bias against being a "turf" sire or a "filly" sire. Alas.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:15 am

In the Bloodhorse Leading 2nd Crop Sires lists, when sorted by 'Racing Area: North America' and 'Standing Area: Northern Hemisphere,' California Chrome is #10 by progeny earnings, and co-#1 by graded stakes winners. The Bloodhorse stats do not include the Southern Hemisphere, but Chrome has stakes winning colts in Chile. I'm not sure the Bloodhorse stats include smaller racing jurisdictions such as Russia, but Chrome has the undefeated stakes winning colt, Chrome Blame, in Russia. Chrome also has a dirt-running stakes winning filly in Japan named Cal Fragrance.

CorridorZ75

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Gemini wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:17 pm Unless California Chrome gets a male graded states winner on dirt, I doubt many breeders will care. There's still a lot of bias against being a "turf" sire or a "filly" sire. Alas.
I always thought he would be more likely a filly sire. The sires of that female family usually are. They just tend to be in pedigrees via their daughters. I also hope that being in a more turf geared territory will mean better overall results. He just usually doesn’t throw big burly horses that are needed for US sales and the consistent success on Us dirt.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:47 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:29 pm
Gemini wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:17 pm Unless California Chrome gets a male graded states winner on dirt, I doubt many breeders will care. There's still a lot of bias against being a "turf" sire or a "filly" sire. Alas.
I always thought he would be more likely a filly sire. The sires of that female family usually are. They just tend to be in pedigrees via their daughters. I also hope that being in a more turf geared territory will mean better overall results. He just usually doesn’t throw big burly horses that are needed for US sales and the consistent success on Us dirt.
As I mentioned above, Chrome actually has some stakes winning colts in Chile and Russia, all on dirt. Chrome has a stakes winning filly in Japan, again on dirt. Chrome also has a big strapping colt in Japan named Nephilim who won his 2nd start in very nice fashion. He is owned by Chiyoda Farm Shizunai and is out of Like A Million by Street Sense. He was exported to Japan in utero, so he is the first Japanese-bred Chrome offspring to race there and to win. Here's the video of Nephilim's win: https://twitter.com/JayRAye02/status/14 ... KlvmC_joN0 -- you can see how big he is compared to the other horses. It takes him awhile to get that big body moving. :D

It's very difficult to compare the level of stakes races among different racing jurisdictions, but the point is that Chrome's colts are doing quite nicely outside the U.S.

In Japan, he has been bred to some very nice mares, including by sires such as Deep Impact, Johannesburg, Sea the Stars, Frankel, Galileo, Neo Universe, and Harbinger to name a few. His first crop there are weanlings. I only just now found this forum after the thoroughbredchampions one disappeared, or I would have shared info and pictures of Chrome's first crop in Japan that we've seen on his Facebook pages.

Following is a list of Japan's National Association of Racing stakes. My best understanding is that they are a dirt racing association in Japan, but perhaps Tachyon could verify. The Chrome filly, Cal Fragrance, recently won a stakes that qualified her to run in the Rosita Memorial SI race. I don't know what SI means in terms of race level, but it seems to be a stepping stone to dirt graded races.

Starine

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Bloodlines: How California Chrome’s Successful U.S. Runners Project For His Stud Career In Japan
https://www.paulickreport.com/features/ ... -in-japan/
tachyon

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:47 pm As I mentioned above, Chrome actually has some stakes winning colts in Chile and Russia, all on dirt. Chrome has a stakes winning filly in Japan, again on dirt. Chrome also has a big strapping colt in Japan named Nephilim who won his 2nd start in very nice fashion. He is owned by Chiyoda Farm Shizunai and is out of Like A Million by Street Sense. He was exported to Japan in utero, so he is the first Japanese-bred Chrome offspring to race there and to win. Here's the video of Nephilim's win: https://twitter.com/JayRAye02/status/14 ... KlvmC_joN0 -- you can see how big he is compared to the other horses. It takes him awhile to get that big body moving. :D

It's very difficult to compare the level of stakes races among different racing jurisdictions, but the point is that Chrome's colts are doing quite nicely outside the U.S.

In Japan, he has been bred to some very nice mares, including by sires such as Deep Impact, Johannesburg, Sea the Stars, Frankel, Galileo, Neo Universe, and Harbinger to name a few. His first crop there are weanlings. I only just now found this forum after the thoroughbredchampions one disappeared, or I would have shared info and pictures of Chrome's first crop in Japan that we've seen on his Facebook pages.

Following is a list of Japan's National Association of Racing stakes. My best understanding is that they are a dirt racing association in Japan, but perhaps Tachyon could verify. The Chrome filly, Cal Fragrance, recently won a stakes that qualified her to run in the Rosita Memorial SI race. I don't know what SI means in terms of race level, but it seems to be a stepping stone to dirt graded races.

As for the ''Tokyo Cinderella Mile'' Cal Fragrance won, please refer to my post in other thread below.

viewtopic.php?p=252321#p252321

JRA runs both turf races and dirt races, while almost all of NAR races on dirt.

And the list you posted above are the principal races at Minami (South) Kanto, one of the circuits in the NAR.
There are some other NAR circuits in other regions.
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:12 pm

tachyon wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49 am
As for the ''Tokyo Cinderella Mile'' Cal Fragrance won, please refer to my post in other thread below.

viewtopic.php?p=252321#p252321

JRA runs both turf races and dirt races, while almost all of NAR races on dirt.

And the list you posted above are the principal races at Minami (South) Kanto, one of the circuits in the NAR.
There are some other NAR circuits in other regions.
Thanks very much, Tachyon. I have been attempting to better understand Japanese racing and race levels. People from Japan have been sharing information, tweets, photos and such on several Chrome Facebook pages. The language barrier makes it difficult to understand each other sometimes, but it's still very enjoyable to communicate with people around the world. The videos of the races are wonderful to watch.
tachyon

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:29 am

CorridorZ75 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:57 pm are the names up on the studbook?
Yes now!
CorridorZ75

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:35 am

Great. I had looked last night and didn’t see them up. Will look again now. Thank you!
swale1984

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:52 pm

tachyon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:29 am
CorridorZ75 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:57 pm are the names up on the studbook?
Yes now!
I'm not super well versed on Japanese racing/breeding sites. Is there a link to the report/list?
CorridorZ75

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 pm

The site that will eventually post the whole list of the mares bred to stallions is www.studbook.jp, but the 2021 data isn't up there yet. It works best to use the Japanese names of the sires.
tachyon

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 am

CorridorZ75 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 pm The site that will eventually post the whole list of the mares bred to stallions is www.studbook.jp, but the 2021 data isn't up there yet. It works best to use the Japanese names of the sires.
Hey CorridorZ75,
the 2021 data is already up at the www.studbook.jp, even if you don't find ''2021' tab for individual stallions.
Please try again.
We already know all the names of broodmares who had been bred to California Crown in 2021.

https://www.studbook.jp/users/ja/Search ... sukeYear=0
Last edited by tachyon on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tachyon

Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am

Stud fee for California Chrome for 2022 is unchanged at JPY4,000,000.
He has already been fully booked for 2022. :D