The rise of Sunday Silence

Izvestia

Sun May 03, 2015 11:03 pm

He is BAD. You'd think he would act like a professional.... :o
Northport

Sun May 03, 2015 11:29 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:After watching Gold Ship's antics when they tried to load him, maybe his handler is tearfully grateful that he (the handler) is still in one piece? ;) :lol:
That horse threw a fit during the load...and also threw his hind legs with some of the most 'bad intention' kicking I've ever seen. :o
He refused so many times, backing and kicking, that I thought he might end up scratched at the gate. And I don't understand why the Japanese starter never had the jockey dismount, a tactic I have seen work dozens of times here when loading a reluctant horse.
After all those antics, it was pretty amazing to watch him tear around the field from last, and maintain his drive all the way to the wire. He was so frelling strong, even after two miles.
I wonder if his connections intend to try him in the Melbourne Cup, because he sure looks like a true 3200 meter horse.
He certainly seems to be a moody arse, not just on the ground but even when he does get running. He literally circles the field and wins impressively, or never fires and finishes down the field. I think with his temperament his connections may be worried about wasting another long distance flight just to have the horse throw in the towel (à la Arc 2014), though I guess Australia is a lot closer than France!
weeeeeeeee
lurkey mclurker

Mon May 04, 2015 12:09 am

Does the red pompom in his tail mean the same as it does here, that he's a kicker...? (and a bucker, and a rear-er... :lol: )
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 04, 2015 12:42 am

Does the red pompom in his tail mean the same as it does here, that he's a kicker...?

Yep...even the commentator I was hearing on TVG pointed that out while Gold Ship was trying to blast a hole in whatever, or whoever, was behind him. :shock:
That horse needs more than a pompom...he needs a damn pinata. :lol:
He's a bad actor...if it weren't for the fact that he's a frigging amazing racehorse (when he chooses to run) with a prized pedigree, I suspect he would have said goodbye to his family jewels a while ago.
Is there something about the Stay Gold blood? Because Orfevre had quirks, too. I don't know if he was as bad as GS is, but I'm pretty sure he would have won the Arc if he hadn't chosen to lug into the rail at the worst possible time. :(
Kurenai
Site Admin

Mon May 04, 2015 7:32 am

Ok, I love this horse. :lol: Quite the character! His handler seemed quite overwhelmed with the task and Gold Ship didn't take him seriously. That poor guy, he deserved the win after the troubles that horse put him through. :lol: And the red pompom in his tail is the best, he also needs one in front for rearing though. :lol:

Edit to say: I'm 99% sure that removing his family jewels wouldn't change anything. Wondering what they already tried to get him to behave. I hope nobody takes offense but what I heard from someone working over there is that there aren't too many good handlers that are experienced enough to deal with horses like this (although gotta say his handler did a pretty good job, just the horse didn't take him seriously). Same goes for jockeys. I don't know if this is true, nor am I in a position to judge, just something I heard from someone they call in for cases like that.
tachyon

Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am

Gold Ship will be pointed next to the all-star G1 Takarazuka Kinen in June to defend his title, for which he will surely get the most ballots from the fans, as usual. But he will have to pass a gate test before that under surveillance of JRA stewards.
With his extraordinary character, bred by a small breeder, this grey ghost gangster is considered a people's horse in Japan.

Orfevre was VERY BAD, too, haha! :lol:
He had to undergo an aptitude exam for racing after his sudden bolting in the Hanshin Daishoten.

It does seem that quirks and madness is a trademark of Stay Gold and his sons. :lol:
They may sometimes lack in the consistency.
But not a few fans are fascinated by their unpredictability and explosive power at the track.

In fact, Gold Ship and Takatoshi Iwanami, an experienced veteran handler, are very good friends! :D
Takatoshi Iwanami commented this morning; ''Gold Ship is a great horse. He is 6 but still very young. I'm so grateful to be his handler.''
Noriyuki Yokoyama, rider of Gold Ship, commented after the race yesterday; “I was thinking of going front if he started well which obviously was not the case. From there on I just concentrated on following the pace and careful not to turn him off. In the straight, he really showed his stamina and perseverance. He’s often said to be unsuited to Kyoto Racecourse but I think it’s just that he’s not a handy type of horse and needs a skilled rider to guide him.”

Gold Ship and his handler Takatoshi Iwanami this morning
Gold Ship is very cute, isn't he? :D
serenassong

Mon May 04, 2015 9:53 am

tachyon wrote:Gold Ship will be pointed next to the all-star G1 Takarazuka Kinen in June to defend his title, for which he will surely get the most ballots from the fans, as usual. But he will have to pass a gate test before that under surveillance of JRA stewards.
With his extraordinary character, bred by a small breeder, this grey ghost gangster is considered a people's horse in Japan.

Orfevre was VERY BAD, too, haha! :lol:
He had to undergo an aptitude exam for racing after his sudden bolting in the Hanshin Daishoten.

It does seem that quirks and madness is a trademark of Stay Gold and his sons. :lol:
They may sometimes lack in the consistency.
But not a few fans are fascinated by their unpredictability and explosive power at the track.

In fact, Gold Ship and Takatoshi Iwanami, an experienced veteran handler, are very good friends! :D
Takatoshi Iwanami commented this morning; ''Gold Ship is a great horse. He is 6 but still very young. I'm so grateful to be his handler.''
Noriyuki Yokoyama, rider of Gold Ship, commented after the race yesterday; “I was thinking of going front if he started well which obviously was not the case. From there on I just concentrated on following the pace and careful not to turn him off. In the straight, he really showed his stamina and perseverance. He’s often said to be unsuited to Kyoto Racecourse but I think it’s just that he’s not a handy type of horse and needs a skilled rider to guide him.”

Gold Ship is very cute, and loves his handler- look at the soft eye in the picture.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
hadrianmarcus

Mon May 04, 2015 9:54 am

On a trip to Japan a couple years ago, I went out with some friends who were also big horse racing fans. I asked them who was their favorite horse, Gentildonna or Orfevre. Everyone
of them responded Gold Ship. He's really popular. Going back to Oguri Cap, the successful greys have been fan favorites. Stay Gold's sons tend to be a handful. Orfevre was temperamental, Gold Ship runs when and as fast as he wants to, even Ash Gold (Orfevre's full) seems to inherited the hardheaded trait.

After the Tenno Sho, being cooled off and lead back by grooms, Gold Ship still had enough energy to be kicking. But given his popularity, I can't see Japanese authorities banishing its most popular horse from it's All-Star race, starting gate antics and all.
Starine

Mon May 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Hahaha... the Grey Ghost Gangster. Perfect.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Mon May 04, 2015 2:03 pm

tachyon wrote: Image
Awww, that's a sweet picture and he has kind eyes there. I was thinking that just because he acted up, doesn't mean that he has a bad character. And yes, the handler did a pretty good job handling him. *nods* I just love quirky horses. :D
tachyon

Sun May 10, 2015 4:26 am

Congrats to the breeder Paca Paca Farm!! :D

And Special Week(JPN) improved his credentials as a good broodmare sire, as he was represented by another G1 winner Clarity Sky(JPN), 2012C. Kurofune(USA) x Taiki Claruty(JPN), in the NHK Mile today.
Special Week daughter Cesario(JPN) produced Epiphaneia(JPN), Kikuka Sho & Japan Cup winner.
We look forward to seeing how Buena Vista(JPN) will do as a broodmare, too.

-- replay of the G1 NHK Mile(English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXSvEkQmP0w

Special Week(JPN): 1995H. Sunday Silence(USA) x Campaign Girl(JPN), by Maruzensky(JPN)
at Lex Stud (2015)
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000293624/

Clarity Sky(JPN): 2012c. Kurofune(USA) x Taiki Clarity(JPN), by Special Week(JPN)
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001153933/
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Special Week is very handsome, and looks really good for a 20-year-old.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Mon May 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Found another video of Gold Ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXmq6kRrlo8 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Northport

Tue May 12, 2015 7:42 am

Kurenai wrote:Found another video of Gold Ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXmq6kRrlo8 :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the horse's defence, that red pom pom is there to prevent people from happily petting his rump, especially after a race :roll:
weeeeeeeee
Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue May 12, 2015 7:57 am

Northport wrote:
Kurenai wrote:Found another video of Gold Ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXmq6kRrlo8 :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the horse's defence, that red pom pom is there to prevent people from happily petting his rump, especially after a race :roll:
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely on Gold Ship's side. That was a very deserved kick, the guy was basically asking for it by coming up from behind and just pat him on his hind. I was laughing cause the guy asked for it and received basically. :lol:
tachyon

Tue May 12, 2015 10:49 am

Kurenai wrote:
Northport wrote:
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely on Gold Ship's side. That was a very deserved kick, the guy was basically asking for it by coming up from behind and just pat him on his hind. I was laughing cause the guy asked for it and received basically. :lol:
mwahahahaha!! :lol: ;) :lol:
Thank you very much for sharing!!
That video is from his big Takarazuka Kinen victory in 2013 (over Danon Ballalde, Gentildonna and Fenomeno), one of his best performances to date.
I agree that was a deserved kick, haha.
But that could happen before a race, too, haha. :lol:

Please check out the youtube video below and see what's happened in the Tenno Sho Spring in 2014.
I'm 100% sure you will love this and see why Gold Ship didn't win that race. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSzuE2sW1Hg
Please fast forward to 3:42 and ...

Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love that he was very vocal too (you can hear Gold Ship in the background) about it. Thanks for sharing that, I love this horse. He's such a character! :D
Catalina

Tue May 12, 2015 12:46 pm

He got a lot closer to winning than I thought he ever would after that meltdown. 2 miles, yikes...
Northport

Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Oh I know they (especially a horse as quirky as Gold Ship) can kick you really whenever they feel like it, but with all of the adrenaline after a race, you think the "never go near/touch a horse's behind" rule would be a bit more obvious :twisted:
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Sun May 17, 2015 8:38 am

Straight Girl(JPN), 2009M. Fuji Kiseki(JPN) x Never Period(JPN) by Taiki Shuttle(USA), wins the G1 Victoria Mile 1600m turf 4&up f&M at Tokyo on May 17th 2015, equaling Apapane's stakes record time of 1:31.9.

-- replay of the Victoria Mile(G1) (English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLosK132dYA
1st 5 Straight Girl(JPN)(Fuji Kiseki x Never Period by Taiki Shuttle) M6 55 01:31.9
2nd 7 Keiai Elegant(JPN)(King Kamehameha x Post Parade by A.P. Indy) M6 55 01:31.9 HD
3rd 18 Minaret(JPN)(Suzuka Mambo x Noisette by Warning) M5 55 01:32.2 1 3/4
4th 4 Red Reveur(JPN) F4 55 01:32.4 1 1/2
5th 2 Cafe Brilliant(JPN) M5 55 01:32.4 NK
6th 15 Nuovo Record(JPN) F4 55 01:32.5 1/2
7th 6 Dia de la Madre(JPN) M5 55 01:32.5 NS
8th 17 Shonan Pandora(JPN) F4 55 01:32.8 2
9th 10 Hana's Goal(JPN) M6 55 01:32.9 1/2
10th 11 Smart Layer(JPN) M5 55 01:33.0 1/2
11th 16 Little Gerda(USA) M6 55 01:33.1 3/4
12th 3 Sweet Salsa(JPN) M5 55 01:33.2 3/4
13th 8 Bounce Shasse(JPN) F4 55 01:33.2 HD
14th 9 Belle Lumiere(JPN) F4 55 01:33.4 1
15th 12 Alma Divin(JPN) M5 55 01:33.4 HD
16th 1 Tagano Etoile(JPN) F4 55 01:33.6 1 1/4
17th 13 Meisho Mambo(JPN) M5 55 01:33.7 1/2
18th 14 Western Merci(JPN) F4 55 01:35.0 8

Straight Girl(JPN)
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001108396/

Fuji Kiseki(JPN) : 1992H. Sunday Silence(USA) x Millracer(USA) by Le Fabuleux(FR)
pensioned at Shadai Stallion Station (March 2015)
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000262443/