Stallion News

BlindLucky

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:47 pm

These were a few years ago (late 2012), right before he was pensioned, but he trotted out with more spring in his step than the other stallions 1/4 his age. He had to tell everyone that he was the man, too--he loves to chat away with Steve :lol:

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:00 pm

WarBiscuit wrote: Spoke with a friend who visited Quiet American recently as well, and said that he is indeed in fine shape. I think it was Chris McCarron who mentioned that QA was a
talker and quite vocal even back in his racing days - several seasons ago now! Gets pretty animated sometimes, to the point that it can be quite funny. Enjoying his
retirement might be an understatement. Lives better than a lot of people I know :D ...

WarBiscuit
Haha, I can't wait to see his birthday party video! I always thought he has a lot of character. I was probably the only person I know that wasn't sad when he beat Bayakoa, although I liked her too. When Real Quiet lost the Belmont, I was so upset, mostly because of what it meant for Quiet American. And when Real Quiet died, mourning.

So glad he's doing well as he reaches this milestone birthday. Wish I could visit him!
mariasmon

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 pm

BlindLucky wrote:These were a few years ago (late 2012), right before he was pensioned, but he trotted out with more spring in his step than the other stallions 1/4 his age. He had to tell everyone that he was the man, too--he loves to chat away with Steve :lol:
I think I saw him right about the same time. He was so proud of himself. When we asked if he could come out, the gal from the office hesitated a bit, but the stallion manager was like, "Oh, he'd love that." And out he came, talking away.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 pm

BlindLucky wrote:These were a few years ago (late 2012), right before he was pensioned, but he trotted out with more spring in his step than the other stallions 1/4 his age. He had to tell everyone that he was the man, too--he loves to chat away with Steve :lol:

Oh yeah, thanks for posting these. He has that sparkle about him. A little sway in his back, but still looking like a champ. I shouldn't be surprised that he's still going strong.
mariasmon

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:14 pm

The gal at Darley said they don't let many people take pictures of him anymore, because of the stupid stuff people say on social media. Apparently he is quite ribby now, which is understandable at his age. As if he doesn't lead the life of Riley there. Unfortunately, there are people who'd be clueless enough to think he's suffering somehow because he's having trouble keeping on weight (none of whom have ever cared for senior horse, I'd guess).
BlindLucky

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 pm

mariasmon wrote:The gal at Darley said they don't let many people take pictures of him anymore, because of the stupid stuff people say on social media. Apparently he is quite ribby now, which is understandable at his age. As if he doesn't lead the life of Riley there. Unfortunately, there are people who'd be clueless enough to think he's suffering somehow because he's having trouble keeping on weight (none of whom have ever cared for senior horse, I'd guess).
Can't blame them. Look at the uproar over Chrome, you'd think he was near death reading some of the things online I've seen. He takes a deep breath, someone snaps a photo, and all of the sudden he's emaciated and the poster child for the Humane Society/Sarah McLachlan commercials.
mariasmon

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:22 pm

I will definitely be sad when he passes on, although I hope he's healthy and happy for quite some time longer. He has so much personality.

Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:24 pm

mariasmon wrote:The gal at Darley said they don't let many people take pictures of him anymore, because of the stupid stuff people say on social media. Apparently he is quite ribby now, which is understandable at his age. As if he doesn't lead the life of Riley there. Unfortunately, there are people who'd be clueless enough to think he's suffering somehow because he's having trouble keeping on weight (none of whom have ever cared for senior horse, I'd guess).
It is the downside of social media. So easy to weigh in on something ya know nothing about. I know there are farms that don't have Facebook accounts for that reason. I was a little hesitant to post a picture of old Peterhof when I visited him not long before he died last year. He looked really old, but his "young" character still shined through. Sucks for the rest of us, but I totally understand.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:25 pm

mariasmon wrote:I will definitely be sad when he passes on, although I hope he's healthy and happy for quite some time longer. He has so much personality.

Great picture! Yes, it will be a sad day...hopefully a long way off.
Izvestia

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:36 pm

He is quite a regal and proud looking stud!
I love that the groom calls him Sexy Senior Citizen. Would be cool to see a video of him talking.

Here's a video when he was still breeding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMQQU8iyzE
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Izvestia wrote:He is quite a regal and proud looking stud!
I love that the groom calls him Sexy Senior Citizen. Would be cool to see a video of him talking.

Here's a video when he was still breeding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMQQU8iyzE
Thanks, Izvestia. He's really is a gorgeous hunk!
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Speaking of gorgeous...don't think it's new though.
Sire Watch ‏
Tapit. Photo by @francesjkaron
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:16 am

I think these guys have moved around quite a bit. There're export reports filed for them.

Melissa Bauer-Herzog ‏@mbauerherzog
According to the Korean Stud Book both Bob and John and Musket Man were imported to Korea in 2016 (MM three days ago).
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:38 am

Interesting to see Musket Man leaving the country. His sire, Yonaguska, was sold to Turkey some years ago, IIRC. Guess that Cherokee Run line isn't in much demand here. :?
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Do you like online auctions? Well, now's your chance to snag a stallion by Dansili, who won over $1.8 million in his career, for not much money. :?
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/blood ... australia/
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:50 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Interesting to see Musket Man leaving the country. His sire, Yonaguska, was sold to Turkey some years ago, IIRC. Guess that Cherokee Run line isn't in much demand here. :?
I agree with Joe Nevills in this DRF article. And it's not just Musket Man, there are other stallions who just don't seem to get many chances before they're exported. Likely we can all name some. Sure makes me appreciate owners and farms who really support their studs, with mares and marketing.
Anyway, Musket Man began his stud career in 2011 at Vinery Florida, then was moved the following season to Elite Thoroughbreds in Louisiana. He lasted four seasons there before being moved to Korea.

It seems he'll have left North America without getting a major opportunity to show what he's capable of doing at stud. He has 48 foals in his first three crops of racing age, and five yearlings behind that. After that, it looks like things dry up.

The ones that have run, though, have done well. Of his 26 foals to race, 20 are winners. He has two stakes winners, with Ostrolenka taking home a pair of stakes for New York-breds, and Aunt Nellie winning the Louisiana Champions Day Lassie Stakes at the Fair Grounds. He has two additional stakes-placed runners in Louisiana.

Musket Man will do fine in Korea. They're building themselves a nice program over there and seem to be putting their sights on honest types at stud. It's just too bad he apparently wasn't given a bigger shot to succeed on this side of the pond. From the looks of it, he was doing fine here, too.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/25195
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Get Away Farm ‏@Get_AwayFarm Jan 25
Show these new pics to your mares and then contact us to breed to Two Step Salsa & Drill! http://bit.ly/1NvzdjY
katmandu

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:02 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Do you like online auctions? Well, now's your chance to snag a stallion by Dansili, who won over $1.8 million in his career, for not much money. :?
The horse is classier than his connections, but that's a low bar, evidently. He places second in the Caulfield Cup for them and they're doing this?
BlindLucky

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:24 am

katmandu wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Do you like online auctions? Well, now's your chance to snag a stallion by Dansili, who won over $1.8 million in his career, for not much money. :?
The horse is classier than his connections, but that's a low bar, evidently. He places second in the Caulfield Cup for them and they're doing this?
The bid is up to about $17,700 USD now :?
tranquilo

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:32 am

Maybe it's because online auctions are common with my breed, but I'm not really seeing the fuss. Someone commented on the Paulick article that they've never heard of the horse but "can't stop crying". Because a horse is selling for $25,000 in an auction? I'm curious why they chose that method to sell him since it isn't common for a TB stallion, but jeez...