2021 Keeneland September

Missbeholder

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:24 pm

mariasmon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 pm
Flanders wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:44 pm
Missbeholder wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:34 pm I think I read somewhere (no recollection of where) that there was some concern, at the start at least, about City Of Light's fertility. Is that, or was it ever, an issue?

Just curious.
I heard that too but he had the same % mares bred to foals produced as Justify did. They were both 71%, which I would say is about average. He only has one year worth of data to look at right now though, the 2020 breeding/2021 foaling stats is usually released by the Jockey Club the first week of October.
Since it was just rumors and there wasn't anything ever released about it, it could have been something like Dixie Union had when he went to stud. He had to be bred X hours apart and he had to be moved to Lane's End part way into the season where they could accommodate that breeding schedule.
Where did Dixie Union stand initially?
That's a good question. I have trouble imagining him going to stud anywhere but Lane's End. That's where his own sire, Dixieland Band, stood, and was one of the foundation stallions for that farm.
Flanders

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:24 pm
I heard that too but he had the same % mares bred to foals produced as Justify did. They were both 71%, which I would say is about average. He only has one year worth of data to look at right now though, the 2020 breeding/2021 foaling stats is usually released by the Jockey Club the first week of October.
Since it was just rumors and there wasn't anything ever released about it, it could have been something like Dixie Union had when he went to stud. He had to be bred X hours apart and he had to be moved to Lane's End part way into the season where they could accommodate that breeding schedule.
That's a good question. I have trouble imagining him going to stud anywhere but Lane's End. That's where his own sire, Dixieland Band, stood, and was one of the foundation stallions for that farm.
I posted on the previous page but I've since found the article from when he moved. https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -lanes-end It was only a month into his first season at stud.
mariasmon

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:17 pm
Diamond A (which used to be Allen Paulson's Brookside Farm). I don't remember if they stood stallions after Dixie Union, if they did, they got out of the stallion game early.
Ah, makes sense. I had either completely forgotten that or never knew. Thanks!
Missbeholder

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:01 pm

mariasmon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:46 pm
Flanders wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:17 pm

Diamond A (which used to be Allen Paulson's Brookside Farm). I don't remember if they stood stallions after Dixie Union, if they did, they got out of the stallion game early.
Ah, makes sense. I had either completely forgotten that or never knew. Thanks!
Me too!! Thanks Flanders!!😊
CorridorZ75

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:34 pm I think I read somewhere (no recollection of where) that there was some concern, at the start at least, about City Of Light's fertility. Is that, or was it ever, an issue?

Just curious.
Well the percentage of mares than eventual have foals doesn't say how many times the mares needed to be bred to become pregnant. If it wasn't a transient issue then it would limit his books in future- he just wouldn't be able to accommodate massive books, which would not necessarily be a bad thing.
Flanders

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:56 am

CorridorZ75 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 pm

Just curious.
Well the percentage of mares than eventual have foals doesn't say how many times the mares needed to be bred to become pregnant. If it wasn't a transient issue then it would limit his books in future- he just wouldn't be able to accommodate massive books, which would not necessarily be a bad thing.
He covered exactly the same number of mares his 2nd year and was the first stallion booked full at Lane's End in 2021. I doubt breeders would be using him so much if he routinely takes 3-4 covers to get them in foal.
starrydreamer

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am

So moral of the story is that we should expect City of Light's stud fee to go up next year? :lol:

I guess I'm a little surprised that City of Light seems to be more popular than his sire. But still, I'm a big fan of farms limiting their stud's book, and so I'm glad he's doing well.
tachyon

Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:10 pm

tachyon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:25 am
Retrospectiv wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:41 pm
KatieK101 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:05 pm Per Michele MacDonald on Twitter:
More yearlings RNA'd or OUT than sold in 1st #KeeSept session. # sold (95) down 18.8% from 2020's 117; gross down $3.963m (9.4%). Avg. price $401,811 up from $360,128. 3 Yearlings sold for $1m or more compared to 5 in 2020. American Pharoah filly tops session at $1.4m

The I'm a Chatterbox filly will be sent to Bill Mott to train.

Hideyuki Mori purchased the three most expensive Justify colts today; including the Classic Empire half-brother. I assume all three colts will be campaigned in Japan.
I was going to ask if anyone knew who they were buying for. Another sold to J.S Company who I think is Japanese as well?
If so, big foreign support for him.
There was a report on Bloodhorse on Monday about Hideyuki Mori's purchase in Session 1.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -for-japan

And Hideyuki Mori has bought six Justify yearlings until yesterday (until Session 4).
I don't know yet who Hjdeyuki Mori has been buying these Justify bebies for.
There is a RUMOR that Susumu Fujita, president of CyberAgent Inc., is behind him, probably because Fujita was a huge buyer at JRHA Select Sale two months ago.
‘’Uma-musume’’ is one of his products.

Can the rumor be true?
I hope we will see soon!!
We now know that Susumu Fujita (president of CyberAgent Inc. producer of Uma-Musume etc) owns at least four of Justify colts purchased by Hideyuki Mori at the 2021 Keeneland September Sale.

Hip 133 colt o/o Sambuca Classica(USA)
Hip 161 colt o/o Stayclassysandiego(USA)
Hip 170 colt o/o Streaming(USA)
Hip 389 colt o/o Guest House(USA)