Photos/News about Broodmares

ChampionCurlin

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Arravale with her '15 Quality Road colt. I love this mare.

BlindLucky

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Black Caviar and her little one from 2/20:

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
lurkey mclurker

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Not so little anymore! :lol: They both look fabulous.
Kay16

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:13 pm

She has such an intelligent face/eyes
Northport

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:15 am

Oriental Art, the dam of Orfevre as well as G1 winner Dream Journey, has died due to a perforated uterus after giving birth to a Stay Gold filly.
weeeeeeeee
lurkey mclurker

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:20 am

Oh no :( :( :(
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:21 am

That's terrible. It's always awful to lose a mare like that...doubly so when it's a mare who has given us such good horses. It's a loss to the breed. :(
tachyon

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:14 am

That's a huge loss to the breeding.
Oriental Art(JPN) has been responsible for her offspring's 9 G1 wins (Orfevre 6, Dream Journey 3), JRA record-tying with Scarlet Bouquet(JPN)(Daiwa Major 5, Daiwa Scarlet 4).
R.I.P, Oriental Art. :cry:

Oriental Art and her baby Orfevre (in 2008)
tachyon

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:57 am

Jioconda(IRE)(dam of Lightening Pearl and Satono Crown) and Reve d'Essor(JPN)

@nabecci
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:14 pm

Sad FB post from Glen Hill Farm. My condolences to them.
We lost a great mare today, Rich in Spirit. This is our favorite picture of her, at the farm with Leonard Lavin and Hap Proctor as a 2yo filly before shipping to Calder to win the John Franks Juvenile Fillies. She also won the G2 Regret Stakes and G3 Locust Grove at Churchill, and won another stakes race at Tampa as a 5 year old. She was probably our only horse that had won stakes at 2,3,4, and 5. She is the dam of Wishing Gate, winner of the G2 San Clemente and 2nd in the G1 Del Mar Oaks. She had a Gaileo colt 18 days ago, and had colic this morning. Her surgery went well but she died by breaking her tibia in the operating room. Tough day.

Edited to add the farm's FB photo of Rich in Spirit with her Galileo colt on March 1.
Ziggypop

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Sad FB post from Glen Hill Farm. My condolences to them.
We lost a great mare today, Rich in Spirit. This is our favorite picture of her, at the farm with Leonard Lavin and Hap Proctor as a 2yo filly before shipping to Calder to win the John Franks Juvenile Fillies. She also won the G2 Regret Stakes and G3 Locust Grove at Churchill, and won another stakes race at Tampa as a 5 year old. She was probably our only horse that had won stakes at 2,3,4, and 5. She is the dam of Wishing Gate, winner of the G2 San Clemente and 2nd in the G1 Del Mar Oaks. She had a Gaileo colt 18 days ago, and had colic this morning. Her surgery went well but she died by breaking her tibia in the operating room. Tough day.

Edited to add the farm's FB photo of Rich in Spirit with her Galileo colt on March 1.
How sad for everyone. Bless her heart.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Tragic.
It's just not fair that the mare came through her surgery in good order...and then it all went to hell. My heart goes out to her owners.
I wish that the veterinary community could develop some way to bring a horse out of anesthesia that might prevent these self-inflicted injuries. I know that recovery pools help, but they may not be right for some patients, and I don't think they are available at very many hospitals.
:cry:
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:37 pm

It does seem extra tragic when it turns out this way. Glen Hill Farm update on the colt. He's a beauty and hopefully does his mama proud.
Galileo/Rich in Spirit colt getting to know his nurse mare. He's doing well:)
Northport

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Soviet Song, who was originally booked to Scat Daddy this year, will instead get this year off. She's had terrible luck as a broodmare :(
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:31 am

Gentildonna(JPN) has been confirmed in foal to King Kamehameha. (expected date: Feb 4th 2016)

Gentildonna (front) and Verxina (back)

Biwa Heidi(JPN), dam of 6 graded winners Admire Japan (Sunday Silence), Admire Aura (Agnes Tachyon), Buena Vista (Special Week), Tosen Reve (Deep Impact), Joie de Vivre (Deep Impact) and Sang Real (Zenno Rob Roy), gave birth to a filly by Orfevre on March 17.

Biwa Heidi
Northport

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 am

tachyon wrote:Gentildonna(JPN) has been confirmed in foal to King Kamehameha. (expected date: Feb 4th 2016)

Gentildonna (front) and Verxina (back)
That's one expensive paddock! I'd kill to know who other mares in the background were.
weeeeeeeee
Catalina

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Tragic.
It's just not fair that the mare came through her surgery in good order...and then it all went to hell. My heart goes out to her owners.
I wish that the veterinary community could develop some way to bring a horse out of anesthesia that might prevent these self-inflicted injuries. I know that recovery pools help, but they may not be right for some patients, and I don't think they are available at very many hospitals.
Sad indeed. I think New Bolton is the only place with a recovery pool I ever heard of. Rood and Riddle always brags about their wonderful setup and that they don't need a recovery pool, but I wish they and the other big ones would spring for the extra money for a recovery pool set-up.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:48 pm

I know recovery pools help horses who have undergone surgeries on their legs, but I wonder if the supporting slings would be a problem for those who have had abdominal surgery, like for colic?
Placing straps under a horse's barrel, which support its weight as it is lifted into the water, would seem to be hard to do without putting harmful pressure/friction on an abdominal incision. :?:
serenassong

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:32 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I know recovery pools help horses who have undergone surgeries on their legs, but I wonder if the supporting slings would be a problem for those who have had abdominal surgery, like for colic?
Placing straps under a horse's barrel, which support its weight as it is lifted into the water, would seem to be hard to do without putting harmful pressure/friction on an abdominal incision. :?:
I would think so, but too bad that someone couldn't come up with some type of float system to assist the horse in and out of the pool so that an incision site is not compromised.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Ziggypop

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Catalina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Tragic.
Sad indeed. I think New Bolton is the only place with a recovery pool I ever heard of. Rood and Riddle always brags about their wonderful setup and that they don't need a recovery pool, but I wish they and the other big ones would spring for the extra money for a recovery pool set-up.
I was surprised to learn the Rood and Riddle didn't have one.