2018 foals

Personal Ensign

Tue May 29, 2018 12:00 am

What is the tool that Chelsea is holding and seemed to use around Arravale's udder?
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
No 1 Cares

Tue May 29, 2018 12:03 am

Personal Ensign wrote:What is the tool that Chelsea is holding and seemed to use around Arravale's udder?
refractometer, she's testing the colostrum/milk
Personal Ensign

Tue May 29, 2018 12:05 am

Thanks No1Cares
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
lurkey mclurker

Tue May 29, 2018 12:12 am

Summer Bird wrote:lurkey, yes they kept getting her up because she was too close to the wall. It’s hard to help a mare foal when there’s a wall in the way :lol:. Also it is normal to give an enema to a newborn foal to make it easier for the foal to pass its meconium. Colts have a harder time passing all of their meconium than fillies do as well.
Thanks Summer Bird! He's a lovely boy. <3
Sparrow Castle

Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 am

Nice big strong looking colt! Good thing we can scroll back on the cam because I missed the birth live.
Ziggypop

Tue May 29, 2018 8:24 am

Arravale must be starving...no oats yet.
Izvestia

Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 am

Gone are the days when this thread was full of cute baby photos... now I get a play-by-play of Arravale’s eating, sleeping and shitting pattern...
Ziggypop

Tue May 29, 2018 11:00 am

Izvestia wrote:Gone are the days when this thread was full of cute baby photos... now I get a play-by-play of Arravale’s eating, sleeping and shitting pattern...
Aren't we mostly at the end of the baby season?
Katewerk

Tue May 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Her foal is now wearing a bandage on one rear leg, though he seems to be getting around just fine.
ThreeMustangs

Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Katewerk wrote:Her foal is now wearing a bandage on one rear leg, though he seems to be getting around just fine.
Check out the videos below the live feed. One shows them putting the bandage on because that leg is a little contracted.
Katewerk

Tue May 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted and got my answer. Thanks.
sweettalk

Tue May 29, 2018 10:05 pm

Izvestia wrote:Gone are the days when this thread was full of cute baby photos... now I get a play-by-play of Arravale’s eating, sleeping and shitting pattern...
welp, based on the date, most baby pics are done til the southern hemisphere starts foaling.
with that in mind, yeah, the last few pages are gonna be keeping an eye on the later foals. i'm not being sarcastic, but this is what i remember from past years - we hit baby season, flooded with the best pictures, then it's down to waiting for news on the later babies. this year, we have higher video reporting activity, otherwise it's just normal.
shenanigans

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:11 pm

I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread, either with information or photos or both. While I haven't posted, I have lurked every single day, just to keep updated.

A few months ago, a very close friend died unexpectedly. This was her favorite time of year, when we see such promise for the future. She was especially fond of California Chrome, and I know she would have been delighted to see his offspring looking so wonderful. As hard as this spring has been, she would have been the first to remind me that life does, indeed, go on, and we should cherish each broodmare, each foal, each moment.

So thanks once again to everyone, especially those who posted such sweet photos. I am in your debt forever.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:40 pm

shenanigans wrote:I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread, either with information or photos or both. While I haven't posted, I have lurked every single day, just to keep updated.

A few months ago, a very close friend died unexpectedly. This was her favorite time of year, when we see such promise for the future. She was especially fond of California Chrome, and I know she would have been delighted to see his offspring looking so wonderful. As hard as this spring has been, she would have been the first to remind me that life does, indeed, go on, and we should cherish each broodmare, each foal, each moment.

So thanks once again to everyone, especially those who posted such sweet photos. I am in your debt forever.
Very sweet of you to post this, shenanigans. I'm so sorry you lost your close friend. Please know this is the reason why I go looking for baby foal pictures to post, and it is my very favorite time of year too. It really does remind us about the circle of life, and new life is to be celebrated with all its hopes and dreams. I can never feel down when I am looking into the eyes of a new foal and mare meeting for the very first time. Take care.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:58 pm

shenanigans wrote:A few months ago, a very close friend died unexpectedly. This was her favorite time of year, when we see such promise for the future. She was especially fond of California Chrome, and I know she would have been delighted to see his offspring looking so wonderful.
Shenanigans, please accept my most sincere condolences for the loss of your dear friend. I wish there was an answer for that kind of pain, but know only too well that even time really doesn't heal it. All time does is give us space to learn to live with it and cope.

I'm delighted to hear that your friend especially was fond of Chrome. Nearly all of the foals that we have been privileged to see photos and/or videos of are quite lovely. A great many of them strongly resemble him, even those from bay and gray mares. In honor of your friend, here is a photo of Chrome's filly out of Colerful Bride. She was born on April 14th. This is the baby who lost her right eye, but as this photo shows, it has not slowed her down one bit. She is a loving little one who already has a huge fan base.

shenanigans

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:05 am

Many thanks to you both, and Ridan_Remembered, a special thanks for that photo. My late friend would have adored that filly, not least because of what she has gone through. If there is a heaven, that little one has a huge fan up there. And of course she can count on me to root her through whatever her life holds for her.

When you go through difficult times like this, you discover that the kindness of strangers means more than you could ever have imagined. Thank you once again.
FlyToTheStars

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 am

Winter Memories had her Tapit filly last night
mariasmon

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:12 pm

f. Ghostzapper x Ageless (5/10)
c. Empire Maker x Aldebaran Light (5/2) - 1/2 to Eskendereya
c. Jeranimo x Alphabet Kisses (5/16)
c. Candy Ride x Always a Princess (5/6)
f. Ghostzapper x Antipathy (2/15) - dam is G3W/G1P 1/2 to Scat Daddy
c. Into Mischief x Ashado (5/13)
f. Street Sense x Away (2/18) - 1/2 to Eight Belles

c. Tapit x Rags to Riches (4/25)
mariasmon

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:18 pm

FlyToTheStars wrote:Winter Memories had her Tapit filly last night
According to their Instagram, she foaled 3/6.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf_jRzrnuu6/
mariasmon

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:33 pm

f. Candy Ride x Burgundy Ice (4/23) - dam is 1/2 to Bernardini

f. Empire Maker x Calais (4/15) - 2nd dam is Flanders
c. Fed Biz x Cash's Girl (4/22)
c. Candy Ride x Cat Moves (5/9)
c. Lemon Drop Kid x Collect the Cash (5/23)

c. Curlin x Dance Card (5/3)
f. Candy Ride x Deputy Saint (4/21) - dam is 1/2 to Curlin
c. Oxbow x Dr. Zic (5/7)
f. Not This Time x Dream of Summer (5/15)