Zenyatta News

swale1984

Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 pm

mariasmon wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 pm Hard Spun is too tall.
I didn't see his height on the Jonabell page. I knew they were trying to breed down, but it seems like the smaller the stallion the bigger the foal!
firehorse

Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Do you know how tall Bernardini vs Candy Ride vs Twirling Candy are? My secret wish is Twirling Candy or Tiznow but I've seen Tiznow listed at 16.3 or 17 hands :cry: Do they try and do the opposite of basketball/football players and try to list them shorter than they are (if tall)?
Flanders

Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm By the way, does anyone know what the ownership status is for Zenyatta? I've seen entries in the Racing Form over the last year or so where the breeder of record is Mr. & Mrs. Jerome Moss, but Jerry is listed as the sole owner. I'm just wondering who actually owns Zenyatta since the divorce, who is making the breeding decisions for her, and who controls her offspring going forward. I suppose it's probably not all that important, but I'm just curious.
The 2020 filly is listed as being bred by Ann Moss and Jerome Moss, so Zenyatta is still owned by both of them. Who knows how they decide which stallion or who owns/races the foal, because as you said, Ann isn't listed on any of the racing horses anymore. I guess we'll see if Zellda ever makes a start. However Shirreffs when talking about Zellda mentioned "Mr and Mrs Moss", which is weird cause they are divorced.
Flanders

Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm

firehorse wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm
Do you know how tall Bernardini vs Candy Ride vs Twirling Candy are? My secret wish is Twirling Candy or Tiznow but I've seen Tiznow listed at 16.3 or 17 hands :cry: Do they try and do the opposite of basketball/football players and try to list them shorter than they are (if tall)?
Bernardini is listed as 16.1½ hands, Candy Ride is listed as 16 h and a 1/2 inch and Twirling Candy is listed as 16.2 hands. Tiznow is way to tall for her because she is 17.2 hands which is massive.
Twirling Candy could be an option because MDO is 16.2 h.

And yeah I feel like sometimes farms list short stallions as a little taller than they are and tall stallions a little shorter than they are. But most don't even list heights anymore.
swale1984

Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm
Missbeholder wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm By the way, does anyone know what the ownership status is for Zenyatta? I've seen entries in the Racing Form over the last year or so where the breeder of record is Mr. & Mrs. Jerome Moss, but Jerry is listed as the sole owner. I'm just wondering who actually owns Zenyatta since the divorce, who is making the breeding decisions for her, and who controls her offspring going forward. I suppose it's probably not all that important, but I'm just curious.
The 2020 filly is listed as being bred by Ann Moss and Jerome Moss, so Zenyatta is still owned by both of them. Who knows how they decide which stallion or who owns/races the foal, because as you said, Ann isn't listed on any of the racing horses anymore. I guess we'll see if Zellda ever makes a start. However Shirreffs when talking about Zellda mentioned "Mr and Mrs Moss", which is weird cause they are divorced.
I wouldn't read too much into that; could've been habit. It could also be that they are joint owners. Hard to say (but if Jerry is remarried, that could've been the Mrs he referred to as well).
firehorse

Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm
firehorse wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm
Bernardini is listed as 16.1½ hands, Candy Ride is listed as 16 h and a 1/2 inch and Twirling Candy is listed as 16.2 hands. Tiznow is way to tall for her because she is 17.2 hands which is massive.
Twirling Candy could be an option because MDO is 16.2 h.

And yeah I feel like sometimes farms list short stallions as a little taller than they are and tall stallions a little shorter than they are. But most don't even list heights anymore.
Thank you for the info - except for the Bernardini and Candy Ride they've all seemed much smaller than her (? not sure about the War Fronts) - was wondering how the sires/potential sires matched up.
Missbeholder

Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm
Thanks Flanders for the response. So Zenyatta IS apparently still co-owned, albeit without the "Mr&Mrs" modifier. And breeding decisions & foal ownership are apparently among those things that the general public "doesn't need to know". :(

So we won't know who owns Zellda until she shows up in the entry box (whenever THAT is). Thanks again though for the info.

On a side note, it puzzles me sometimes about some things like that that are not publicized. Ownership changes, private sale data (guess that's why they call it private), and even, in some cases, who the buyer is on an agent-signed ticket at the sales. I get the right to privacy thing, and people have the prerogative to invoke it when it doesn't conflict with legal issues. It's just a little frustrating to me sometimes as a nosey busybody fan who just wants to know stuff! LOL!!
Diver52

Sun May 24, 2020 8:12 pm

My guess would be that the divorce settlement provided for continued joint ownership of Zenyatta and her foals, maybe with some provision for a neutral "tiebreaker" if they disagreed on matings, possible sale, trainers, etc. But that's just a guess.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
BorntoWin2

Fri May 29, 2020 8:49 am

A new short video of Zenyatta and her filly was posted by Ziconic's feed. The filly looks amazing. Strong. Sleek coat. And she came up to the camera:) Zenyatta looks excellent too. Fun:)
Squeaky

Fri May 29, 2020 12:32 pm

BorntoWin2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:49 am A new short video of Zenyatta and her filly was posted by Ziconic's feed. The filly looks amazing. Strong. Sleek coat. And she came up to the camera:) Zenyatta looks excellent too. Fun:)
Filly looks great- wonder when it was taken? And any word on whether they will breed Mom back ( and to whom?) this year?
Northport

Fri May 29, 2020 12:39 pm

If she is even bred, it won't be announced until months from now, after the fact.
weeeeeeeee
firehorse

Fri May 29, 2020 2:57 pm

BorntoWin2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:49 am A new short video of Zenyatta and her filly was posted by Ziconic's feed. The filly looks amazing. Strong. Sleek coat. And she came up to the camera:) Zenyatta looks excellent too. Fun:)
She really is a cutie - here's direct link:

🐴💕🌱 🎥: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAwEncrn67U
luvsgeldings

Sat May 30, 2020 9:36 pm

when zen moves forward to graze in a new spot, its so cute how the filly jumps up and moves along with her mom - they seem to have a very sweet bond - zen is a doting mom and her new filly is a spunky strong cutie - so very happy that Zen has a baby to nurture - my heart broke for her when her little boy died after only a few days of life - just very grateful she and her filly are doing so great - and i wish them only great health and happiness.

thanks so much for posting the link, firehorse!!! it brought a long-lasting, much needed smile this evening - thanks again!!
ThreeMustangs

Sun May 31, 2020 10:51 am

luvsgeldings

Sun May 31, 2020 11:43 am

and thank you too, ThreeMustangs!!! loved seeing that little video also -- what a happy bouncy filly she is!! and Zenyatta does look great also - you can almost feel the happiness in that paddock - loved it!!! thanks again for sharing the video!!
ThreeMustangs

Sun May 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Northport

Sun May 31, 2020 10:38 pm

He looks so sweet and mellow. I'd love to see some recent footage of him under saddle, he's filled out really nicely.
weeeeeeeee
ThreeMustangs

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:08 pm

Diver52

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:23 pm

"I HAZ ITCH!"
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Missbeholder

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:16 pm

I'm just wondering what you guys might think of matching Zenyatta up with City of Light.

First off, as with mentioned before about Hard Spun and Uncle Mo, I don't have real knowledge or memory of how big these stallions are, and when doing all these recreational hypotheticals with Zenyatta, I sometimes forget how huge she is herself! So that's my shortcoming (one of many). I don't have any idea how big City of Light is, so he may be disqualified from the get-go.

Anyway, I just thought his obvious class and the brilliance of his running style on the track might make for an interesting match-up for Zenyatta. I realize that he's yet unproven as a sire, and there hasn't been a tendency by any means to send her to a stallion like that. Bernardini, Tapit, War Front (twice), Medaglia d'Oro, Into Mischief, Candy Ride.......no City of Lights, Gunrunners, Accelerates, or Vino Rossos there.

Pedigree-wise, a City of Light/Zenyatta hypothetical produces that same kind of outcross in the first four generations that Zenyatta hypos almost always do. She has Mr. Prospector in third generation tail-male, so most all inbreeding that turns up in her hypos involves him. The prospective foal for City of Light x Zenyatta would be 5 x 4 Mr P. If you sent her to Distorted Humor, your youngster would be 3 x 4 Mr P. Both cases produce no other inbreeding in the first 4 gens.

I've always been really curious as to why this is. Zenyatta doesn't have a pedigree that can be considered even remotely "obscure". The only names that show up there that are a little unusual are Troy (Street Cry's broodmare sire) and Forli, the Argentinian damsire of Vertigineux. Other than that, her pedigree is a pretty straightforward American one. The only thing I can see here that would cause all these hypothetical outcrosses is the "line influences". Mr. Prospector comes through Machiavellian and not through Fappiano (or Forty Niner, Gone West, Seeking the Gold, or anybody else you want to name). and Roberto comes through Kris S and not through Dynaformer. That's the only reason I can see why she doesn't produce any significant 4 generation inbreeding with any of the high-profile stallions out there right now.

I'm a huge Zenyatta fan. I love her as an awful lot of people do. She is considered by many out there to be a failure as a broodmare, but I don't think that's entirely fair. Only two of her now six foals who actually hit the ground made it to the races (her first two), and they were pretty much spectacular failures on the track, and are now working toward careers in other endeavors. But she has been unbelievably unlucky. After the first two, she lost a weanling in a paddock accident, lost a newborn in a foaling complication that was not her fault, lost a foal in utero, and has a 3yo that hasn't started yet, which is CERTAINLY not her fault.

City of Light......does anybody think this could be a good match for Zenyatta?