Stallion News

BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:04 pm

Iirc, Korea bought several of Tiznow's sons and they may have cornered the market on his better sons. Colonel John was a handsome horse, and his early foals looked so good. But I guess not good enough to keep him in the US. :(
I don't know if he has had success in Korea, and he is 19 now. I wouldn't be surprised if he is just returning to be pensioned here.
Flanders

Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:53 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:04 pm Iirc, Korea bought several of Tiznow's sons and they may have cornered the market on his better sons. Colonel John was a handsome horse, and his early foals looked so good. But I guess not good enough to keep him in the US. :(
I don't know if he has had success in Korea, and he is 19 now. I wouldn't be surprised if he is just returning to be pensioned here.
I would guess he didn't do great because he was barely getting mares. They don't have 2024 covers updated but the 2021-2023 he covered a combined 29 mares.
Akitaperson

Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:47 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:53 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:04 pm Iirc, Korea bought several of Tiznow's sons and they may have cornered the market on his better sons. Colonel John was a handsome horse, and his early foals looked so good. But I guess not good enough to keep him in the US. :(
I would guess he didn't do great because he was barely getting mares. They don't have 2024 covers updated but the 2021-2023 he covered a combined 29 mares.

Someone contacted Mr.Casner. Colonel John is at Winstar now but he's either heading to Oklahoma to stand with Airoforce or he will be going to Mr. Casner's ranch in Texas to stand privately
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:05 am

Colonel John is 19. Maybe he will manage to sire a few good ones regionally before living out his retirement in the United States.
Flanders wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:53 pm I would guess he didn't do great because he was barely getting mares. They don't have 2024 covers updated but the 2021-2023 he covered a combined 29 mares.
To be fair the breeding market in Korea is very limited. In 2023 (for example) only four stallions got over 100 in and the vast majority of them got less than 70. Hansen is the leading sire and he only got 78. Though 29 in three years is definitely not good. I imagine a horse can fall out of favor with local breeders even more quickly than they can over here, especially with the new imports they seem to get each year.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Akitaperson

Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:16 am

Mylute wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:05 am Colonel John is 19. Maybe he will manage to sire a few good ones regionally before living out his retirement in the United States.
Flanders wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:53 pm I would guess he didn't do great because he was barely getting mares. They don't have 2024 covers updated but the 2021-2023 he covered a combined 29 mares.
To be fair the breeding market in Korea is very limited. In 2023 (for example) only four stallions got over 100 in and the vast majority of them got less than 70. Hansen is the leading sire and he only got 78. Though 29 in three years is definitely not good. I imagine a horse can fall out of favor with local breeders even more quickly than they can over here, especially with the new imports they seem to get each year.

Hes either heading from Winstar to Oklahoma or to Mr. Casner's private ranch to stand privately
halo

Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:47 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:51 am An interesting article on initial stud fees of famous stallions.

https://www.berrypatchfarms.net/secretariat-stud-fee/

Secretariat = $10,000
Seattle Slew = $12,500
Affirmed = $25,000
Alydar = $25,000

Secretariat was fully syndicated at $190,000 a share, with only a few seasons sold outside of the syndicate. With Mr. Prospector from the same crop going to stud in Florida for $7,500, I feel fairly confident that any extra seasons sold to Secretariat were sold for well more than $10,000.

Edited to add: I started reading that article, and about 4 sentences in, I decided its some fairy tale that some 12 year old horse lover wrote.
Flanders

Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:47 pm

"I bought him back from the Koreans," said Bill Casner, WinStar's co-founder. "I wanted him back. There hasn't really been a day since we sold him to Korea that I hadn't regretted buying the syndicate out."

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... to-winstar
Akitaperson

Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:01 pm

Arabian Knight has been retired,will stand at Hill N Dale
Northport

Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:29 pm

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/g ... 0Knight%20(Uncle%20Mo,to%20a%20farm%20release%20Monday.

“Following the announcement of his retirement, Baffert added, “He's just not back to where I had him last year. We need more time which we don't have. I just don't want another Arrogate situation on my hands. This is an exceptionally talented horse.”

Idk how the horse compares to Arrogate at all. One had a huge layoff and the other didnt seem to like a surface/venue.

I know im going to sound like a greedy horse racing fan but what do you mean “we dont have time”. The horse was owned by one man. One very rich man. Who already has multiple stallions standing and still is buying yearlings and two year olds for $1-3 million on a regular basis. What was the rush? It’s not like Hill n Dale or a syndicate was kicking down Bob’s door demanding the horse run in the 2024 classic. Who am I to tell rich middle Eastern guys how to manage their money… but man, Zedan is so boring.

One subpar race off of a 266 layoff and he cant make the Classic so what’s the point anyway? Ugh.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:29 pm https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/g ... 0Knight%20(Uncle%20Mo,to%20a%20farm%20release%20Monday.

“Following the announcement of his retirement, Baffert added, “He's just not back to where I had him last year. We need more time which we don't have. I just don't want another Arrogate situation on my hands. This is an exceptionally talented horse.”

Idk how the horse compares to Arrogate at all. One had a huge layoff and the other didnt seem to like a surface/venue.

I know im going to sound like a greedy horse racing fan but what do you mean “we dont have time”. The horse was owned by one man. One very rich man. Who already has multiple stallions standing and still is buying yearlings and two year olds for $1-3 million on a regular basis. What was the rush? It’s not like Hill n Dale or a syndicate was kicking down Bob’s door demanding the horse run in the 2024 classic. Who am I to tell rich middle Eastern guys how to manage their money… but man, Zedan is so boring.

One subpar race off of a 266 layoff and he cant make the Classic so what’s the point anyway? Ugh.
Have a feeling he probably came out of his work on Saturday with an injury. But connections don't talk about injuries. I just say that cause there was just an article that said he was going to race this weekend in the Pat O'Brien and why he was running in that race. Then he was supposed to go to the California Crown. Why bother having an interview where Baffert laid out plans for the horse if they were going to retire him a few days later? To me that means something happened. Or Baffert thought he was training like crap and told Zedan and that was that.
Psychotic Parakeet

Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:59 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:40 pm
Northport wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:29 pm https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/g ... 0Knight%20(Uncle%20Mo,to%20a%20farm%20release%20Monday.

Have a feeling he probably came out of his work on Saturday with an injury. But connections don't talk about injuries. I just say that cause there was just an article that said he was going to race this weekend in the Pat O'Brien and why he was running in that race. Then he was supposed to go to the California Crown. Why bother having an interview where Baffert laid out plans for the horse if they were going to retire him a few days later? To me that means something happened. Or Baffert thought he was training like crap and told Zedan and that was that.
He got an intra-articular injection treatment on August 3, 2024. I thought they were not allowed to have any workouts within those 14 days?
I wanna do bad things with you.
Flanders

Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:07 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:59 pm

He got an intra-articular injection treatment on August 3, 2024. I thought they were not allowed to have any workouts within those 14 days?
I believe the new rule says that it depends what was given in the injection. If it was corticosteroids its 14 days if it was something else its 7.

Edit to add: I just checked and its 10 days for corticosteroids to work, 30 days to race. If its something else given intra articular injection its 14 days to race and doesn't say for workout so I'd assume the 7 day? Since he was supposed to race in the Pat O'Brien this coming weekend it couldn't have been corticosteroids?
Northport

Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:14 pm

Or Baffert thought he was training like crap and told Zedan and that was that.
I'm sure it was this. Baffert isn't known for gentle handling that allows top 3 year olds to progress into stout older horses.

I do prefer Hill n Dale over other operations, but the three immediate generations of this sireline have 5, 8, and 6 starts. It's obviously an incredibly successful sireline, but it does leave you with a bit of a sinking feeling.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:25 pm

Northport wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:14 pm

Or Baffert thought he was training like crap and told Zedan and that was that.
I'm sure it was this. Baffert isn't known for gentle handling that allows top 3 year olds to progress into stout older horses.

I do prefer Hill n Dale over other operations, but the three immediate generations of this sireline have 5, 8, and 6 starts. It's obviously an incredibly successful sireline, but it does leave you with a bit of a sinking feeling.
Uncle Mo has a terrible average starts per foal of 7.9. I did not include 2yos as well to try and make it more fair. Add that to Arabian Knight's female family and its surprising he made it 6 starts. His first 3 dams made 1, 5. and 6 starts.
Timely Writer

Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:10 pm

Colonel John has been the broodmare sire to some nice horses
halo

Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:19 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:01 pm Arabian Knight has been retired,will stand at Hill N Dale
A little surprised he didnt end up somewhere like NY. Pretty weak resume for KY.
Akitaperson

Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:40 pm

halo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:19 pm
Akitaperson wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:01 pm Arabian Knight has been retired,will stand at Hill N Dale
A little surprised he didnt end up somewhere like NY. Pretty weak resume for KY.

Hill N Dale excepted Loggins whose race record is worse
Northport

Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:18 pm

Hill n Dale doesnt have the unlimited budget for unproven prospects that Ashford and Spendthrift have. Unless theyre going in on proven entities like Curlin, Ghostzapper, or Kitten’s Joy, they have to go for the ones that aren’t quite as obviously shiny. I mean, it’s resulted in Good Magic and Mclean’s Music, but it does sometimes… give pause. But the same can be said for so many stallion deals these days.
weeeeeeeee
Izvestia

Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:43 pm

They ran out of time because the horse was over-rated?
halo

Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:59 pm

Northport wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:18 pm Hill n Dale doesnt have the unlimited budget for unproven prospects that Ashford and Spendthrift have. Unless theyre going in on proven entities like Curlin, Ghostzapper, or Kitten’s Joy, they have to go for the ones that aren’t quite as obviously shiny. I mean, it’s resulted in Good Magic and Mclean’s Music, but it does sometimes… give pause. But the same can be said for so many stallion deals these days.
Good Magic and Macleans Music were raced by Stonestreet, so I can see the connection there. Plus, Good Magic had a really good resume, winning the Haskell, Bluegrass, and BC Juvenile. I just dont know how another Uncle Mo stallion will fare with the large group of them in KY, especially one with nothing to make him stand out.