Stallion News

Danniwolfe

Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:05 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:58 pm :(

More info has been released about Laoban. I just... :( This poor horse, he was like a living pincushion for 6 months.

https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-ca ... eding-shed

And I think the insurance company shouldn't have to pay out on the case.
I hope they don't
Just riding through life one shaky canter stride at a time
starrydreamer

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:04 pm

More info has been released about Laoban. I just... :( This poor horse, he was like a living pincushion for 6 months.

Jeez. He had a known history of degenerative arthritis and kissing spine and they thought first that he needs more testosterone or vitamins because he was dehydrated??? Maybe he wasn't finishing his business because he was very uncomfortable. That poor horse. I don't usually side with insurance companies on denying coverage but man, Laoban's owners have a lot to overcome to get the insurance company to pay.
Flanders

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:31 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:04 pm

Jeez. He had a known history of degenerative arthritis and kissing spine and they thought first that he needs more testosterone or vitamins because he was dehydrated??? Maybe he wasn't finishing his business because he was very uncomfortable. That poor horse. I don't usually side with insurance companies on denying coverage but man, Laoban's owners have a lot to overcome to get the insurance company to pay.
Well they said he had no issues on the insurance papers and he did, the insurance company proved that. Plus Winstar already paid all the syndicate owners cause it was their vet's fault he died. If that info wasn't disclosed to them at the time they bought into the syndicate or whatever, their fight is with Winstar. But I bet they had to sign some paper saying they wouldn't sue if they took the money.
Le Beau Bai

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:49 pm

Awful, no way should they be getting form of insurance payout.
Akitaperson

Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:04 pm

Gross
brunanas

Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:06 pm

when i think i can't hate WinSh*t more...
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Psychotic Parakeet

Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:12 pm

What an injustice to that horse, let alone, major shame on WinStar for literally trying to extract every little drop of out of him. That's animal cruelty right there, and that veterinarian should have her license revoked. I'm sure pushing over the limit with these stallions goes on more than what is reported.
I wanna do bad things with you.
TapitsGal

Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:47 pm

This article just made me so incredibly more angry at winstar. That horse should have been pensioned when there was a first inkling of an issue
Flanders

Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:05 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:47 pm

This article just made me so incredibly more angry at winstar. That horse should have been pensioned when there was a first inkling of an issue
They knew he had the issues and still bought him. And then subjected him to random shots that made absolutely no sense. The only ones that made sense were the corticosteroids to maybe give him some relief to his spinal pain. As someone who had the human equivalent in my spine 3 times, its no picnic. Like did they just give him testosterone shots thinking it would make him aggressive and want to breed mares despite being in pain? I'm not in the medical field at all but wouldn't extended use of testosterone shots slow or stop his own body from producing it? I mean they said he didn't need it but they gave it to him constantly. I wonder if that is just a standard practice at the farms that accept huge books of mares. I don't remember if it said in the article, it was really upsetting, but he covered 126 mares before he was given the shot that killed him. This is a horse who has been in pain since the previous fall, who knows how long before that. Its not like they went light on him and then being unsatisfied with that number.... Its like Coolmore breeding Early Voting to pretty much 200 mares until his (excuse me for being crass) dick stopped working and then filing an insurance claim. Some things just make me furious and this, both, all stallions that get overbred, its just disgusting greed with no care about the animals well being.
Northport

Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:18 pm

I know these stud farms are businesses, but they are almost all owned by people who already had exorbitant amounts of wealth before they got into the stallion business. I know Kenny Troutt isn't at the farm doing night check every night, but he has to be the one directing his staff to operate with a "profit at any cost" mentality. The man is worth $1.5 billion, is Laoban covering 200 mares what is keeping the lights on at WinStar??

Makes you woozy to think about what is being done to other stallions that handle the treatment better. Or what is done to stallions like Early Voting before they deteriorate enough to trigger an insurance claim. I know vets and staff can sleep at night because they do believe they are doing the right thing with xrays, chiropractic, bute, etc. and that stuff on a semi regular basis is basic maintenance for any horse that has a job... but when it becomes a daily or weekly bandaid for a horse that is chronic pain... it's sickening.
weeeeeeeee
brunanas

Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:25 pm

ever since this whole story came out i've been saying i don't understand how so many people were shocked to hear that a stallion can't cover all these mares naturally. i always use Into Mischief as an example because in my opinion he's one of the worst cases of longterm overbreeding, at least in recent memory, like:

2009: 61;
2010: 44;
2011: 54;
2012: 50;
2013: 210;
2014: 202 (6 in SH time);
2015: 215;
2016: 220 (2 in SH time);
2017: 264 (29 in SH time);
2018: 296 (53 in SH time);
2019: 267;
2020: 250 (2 in SH time);
2021: 216;
2022: 202;
2023: 173

not counting the SH covers, this leaves him with 196 in 2014, 218 in 2016, 235 in 2017, 243 in 2018 and 248 in 2020. in 2020 he was also offered to QH mares through AI (i think that was the only year) and who knows how many collections they put him through. so only counting live covers, it totals 2,724 single covers. i lowballed and said 35% needed second covers (ignoring the fact there might have been even more covers for some), that puts his total to 3,677. NO ONE can ever convince me he never said "nope don't want to do this today" and they were quick to find an easy injectable fix. it's absolutely disgusting and i really wish people talked more about the stallions who are still alive and not only about Laoban because we know he isn't the only one being forced to do something he is tired of doing.

and i won't get into how much pain Into Mischief's knees probably cause him and how bad the pain is every time he lands on them multiple times a day every day for 5 months straight.
she/her
brunanas

Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:28 pm

oh and also a reminder that a manager at Spendthrift was like "we'll start easy on Taiba for his first breeding season only giving him 180 mares until April and then if he is still good we'll add more", as if breeding 180 mares in a span of 60 days is perfectly reasonable. i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them
she/her
Northport

Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:41 pm

Into Mischief is lucky that he was too valuable to be shuttled by the time Spendthrift's Australian operation got up and running (and then quickly shut down). I'd be interested to see a stallion like Fastnet Rock's cumulative stats. Justify is on the same trajectory as well.
weeeeeeeee
sweettalk

Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:24 pm

extremely unfortunate the stallion book cap didn't hold.
Flanders

Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:34 pm

Northport wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:41 pm Into Mischief is lucky that he was too valuable to be shuttled by the time Spendthrift's Australian operation got up and running (and then quickly shut down). I'd be interested to see a stallion like Fastnet Rock's cumulative stats. Justify is on the same trajectory as well.
I mean we can make guesses based on racing age foals, since an average thoroughbred stallion has fertility in the range of 65-75%. Even going on the high end and being super conservative add 20%. Fastnet Rock has 2943 foals of racing age. More Than Ready has 3857 foals of racing age, he is the highest I've came across, and he has one more crop of yearlings. He is also the horse with the longest shuttle history that I can think of, shuttling every year from 2001-2019. They usually stop shuttling them when they reach 17-18, he shuttled the last time at 22yo. And at 25, he bred 98 mares. Then was euthanized due to infirmities of old age a month or so after the breeding shed closed. Hey Winstar again.
TapitsGal

Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:48 pm

sweettalk wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:24 pm extremely unfortunate the stallion book cap didn't hold.
Why didn't it hold? Because as predicted the stallion factories that are spendthrift, coolmore and even three chimneys sued and threatened to form their own separate registry and the jockey club caved..I predicted spendthrift and coolmore would sue but three chimneys surprised me..but as someone pointed out they have gun runner..I was very surprised I don't believe winstar was named in the lawsuit
Izvestia

Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:58 am

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:12 pm What an injustice to that horse, let alone, major shame on WinStar for literally trying to extract every little drop of out of him. That's animal cruelty right there, and that veterinarian should have her license revoked. I'm sure pushing over the limit with these stallions goes on more than what is reported.
It seems that the individual horses themselves don’t actually matter, and they truly are just a business and the horses are an afterthought. As long as they keep producing beautiful, fast, well-bred colts that win/run in 5 races, year after year the wheel keeps on turning. It’s disgusting. Poor Laoban, he deserved better.
Izvestia

Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:08 am

Ok. I’ve read this 3 times, and it is sickening what Laoban went through. He was CLEARLY not physically comfortable and they continued to breed him, nevermind jabbing him with all sorts of drugs. They basically tortured him.
Akitaperson

Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:14 am

TapitsGal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:48 pm
sweettalk wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:24 pm extremely unfortunate the stallion book cap didn't hold.
Why didn't it hold? Because as predicted the stallion factories that are spendthrift, coolmore and even three chimneys sued and threatened to form their own separate registry and the jockey club caved..I predicted spendthrift and coolmore would sue but three chimneys surprised me..but as someone pointed out they have gun runner..I was very surprised I don't believe winstar was named in the lawsuit
Hill n Dale was another one. It's sickening how many mares some stallions cover, and it's even grosser for the stallions who shuttle.
Flanders

Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:59 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:14 am
TapitsGal wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:48 pm
Hill n Dale was another one. It's sickening how many mares some stallions cover, and it's even grosser for the stallions who shuttle.
I think you are misremembering. Hill N Dale never joined the lawsuit. Sikura sounded pretty okay with it even though they do have stallions that cover more than 200 mares. The only 3 farms that did are Spendthrift, Coolmore and Three Chimneys.
Sikura said he could see pros and cons but added the benefits will always be judged stallion-by-stallion.

"Spreading the mares among different stallions will always depend on the stallions someone has. I have some successful horses that should get more mares but don't because we're breeding 200 mares.(He means the industry as a whole here, IMO) I also have very popular horses that breed more than 140 mares," Sikura said. "This gives a lot of lead time, which is important."

Sikura also speculated that the long implementation period could make a legal challenge unlikely because it does not affect any stallion who has been purchased or affect one who has been managed under the previous rules.

"Everyone has been forewarned," he said.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... mares-bred

Once the state of Kentucky entered and starting making legislation and threatening to make their own registry(its not that easy), the JC rescinded the rule pretty fast. I really think the JC could have won. Perhaps they didn't want to go through with years long litigation.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/j ... -cap-rule/