Loss of a stallion

Flanders

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:37 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:31 pm Isnt the man o war line basically dead
That is the In Reality line.
SukiSatsuki

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:38 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:37 pm
SukiSatsuki wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:31 pm Isnt the man o war line basically dead
That is the In Reality line.
oh okay thank you
Why walk when you could ride?
Honor Code

Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:38 am

Flanders wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:08 pm I forgot Skipshot was even Damascus line, I thought it was already gone from Kentucky. Its a shame cause no one uses him. He was only bred to 5 mares last year and they even tried to sell him on in the 2021 Fasig Tipton February mixed sale but he RNA'd at 37k.
Uncle Mo is Caro line, not sure who you meant cause Cozzene died in 2008, maybe his son Mizzen Mast who was just pensioned?
Include isn't Blushing Groom, he is Broad Brush/Ack Ack back to Colin/Domino. One of the rare male lines that doesn't go back to Phalaris. Unless there is some stallion in some country that I don't know about this sire line is gone with Include.
Blushing Groom, unless I'm forgetting someone, the last 2 I can remember in the Kentucky were Animal Kingdom and his sire Leriondesanimaux, both whom were sold on. Animal Kingdom is now in Japan, Leriondesanimaux died in 2016. Le Havre was carrying this line is Europe but was just pensioned, hopefully one of his sons can step up but most of his best sons to race were gelded.
The In Reality line is in trouble, Tiznow isn't the only representative in the US but Bal A Bali isn't getting a lot of support. The line is also barely hanging on in Europe with Dream Ahead (Diktat/Warning/Known Fact/In Reality). So maybe one of his sons can step up, though most have been gelded.
More Than Ready has a hope in the US with Daredevil, there are some younger horses at stud, like you said Yoshida, Win Win Win went to stud last year in Florida. Blame, Point of Entry and Temple City are from the Roberto branch of Hail To Reason. The Hail To Reason through Halo and Kris S. are safe in Japan. The Dynaformer branch is in trouble.
Mucho Macho Man is another that isn't used a lot. Hopefully he can carry the line on but his best son went to, I'm assuming Saudi Arabia, since its never been confirmed.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone that is carrying on the Ribot line. Pleasantly Perfect, who was sold on, and Tiago who died young are the last 2 I think of.
/cough, this is what I get for typing a post and not looking anything up hahaha.
Yes, I did mean Mizzen Mast/Uncle Mo for the Caro line. Still, Include being the last main Broad Brush/Domino is probably the most depressing for me after Skipshot. In Reality line all hinges on Tiznow's get-and none look promising. Halo, as you say, hinges on More Than Ready's get/Yoshida and it's too early for both to really have any heirs.

I feel like it's too early to say Nyquist will carry on In Reality, and Daredevil/Blame will carry on Halo. I think Dynaformer's get (Point of Entry/Temple City are pretty much dead in the water as is due to lack of interest.

Looks like you're right about Ribot's line-Pleasantly Perfect seems to be the last. Per articles on Bloodhorse/Racing post, are there any viable heirs to the Byerly Turk line in general? Can't find any.
Flanders

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:00 am

Honor Code wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:38 am
Flanders wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:08 pm I forgot Skipshot was even Damascus line, I thought it was already gone from Kentucky. Its a shame cause no one uses him. He was only bred to 5 mares last year and they even tried to sell him on in the 2021 Fasig Tipton February mixed sale but he RNA'd at 37k.
Uncle Mo is Caro line, not sure who you meant cause Cozzene died in 2008, maybe his son Mizzen Mast who was just pensioned?
Include isn't Blushing Groom, he is Broad Brush/Ack Ack back to Colin/Domino. One of the rare male lines that doesn't go back to Phalaris. Unless there is some stallion in some country that I don't know about this sire line is gone with Include.
Blushing Groom, unless I'm forgetting someone, the last 2 I can remember in the Kentucky were Animal Kingdom and his sire Leriondesanimaux, both whom were sold on. Animal Kingdom is now in Japan, Leriondesanimaux died in 2016. Le Havre was carrying this line is Europe but was just pensioned, hopefully one of his sons can step up but most of his best sons to race were gelded.
The In Reality line is in trouble, Tiznow isn't the only representative in the US but Bal A Bali isn't getting a lot of support. The line is also barely hanging on in Europe with Dream Ahead (Diktat/Warning/Known Fact/In Reality). So maybe one of his sons can step up, though most have been gelded.
More Than Ready has a hope in the US with Daredevil, there are some younger horses at stud, like you said Yoshida, Win Win Win went to stud last year in Florida. Blame, Point of Entry and Temple City are from the Roberto branch of Hail To Reason. The Hail To Reason through Halo and Kris S. are safe in Japan. The Dynaformer branch is in trouble.
Mucho Macho Man is another that isn't used a lot. Hopefully he can carry the line on but his best son went to, I'm assuming Saudi Arabia, since its never been confirmed.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone that is carrying on the Ribot line. Pleasantly Perfect, who was sold on, and Tiago who died young are the last 2 I think of.
/cough, this is what I get for typing a post and not looking anything up hahaha.
Yes, I did mean Mizzen Mast/Uncle Mo for the Caro line. Still, Include being the last main Broad Brush/Domino is probably the most depressing for me after Skipshot. In Reality line all hinges on Tiznow's get-and none look promising. Halo, as you say, hinges on More Than Ready's get/Yoshida and it's too early for both to really have any heirs.

I feel like it's too early to say Nyquist will carry on In Reality, and Daredevil/Blame will carry on Halo. I think Dynaformer's get (Point of Entry/Temple City are pretty much dead in the water as is due to lack of interest.

Looks like you're right about Ribot's line-Pleasantly Perfect seems to be the last. Per articles on Bloodhorse/Racing post, are there any viable heirs to the Byerly Turk line in general? Can't find any.
Nyquist is also Caro, since his sire is Uncle Mo.

The Byerly Turk line has been gone in the US for 30-40 years at least. I can't even think of who would have been the last commercial representative.
Here is an article from TDN a few years ago: https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/b ... -the-line/
In the article they are pretty much pinning all hopes of the line on Dunaden in Australia and he died a year after the article, with only 4 crops.
CorridorZ75

Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:09 am

I believe there are some sons/ grandsons of Dr. Devious in Turkey but nothing stands out as far as Byerley line goes.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:29 am

I'm pretty sure Include was the last of Domino.

I think Laoban has been (or will retroactively be) a fairly big loss. Did tremendously well while based in New York obviously without Kentucky mares. I think Nyquist is now the obvious heir for Uncle Mo.

I agree that Irap was a big loss.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Retrospectiv

Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:13 pm

Falinadin wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:03 pm
I would consider Not This Time. Storm Cat was a hugely popular sire in the early 2000s but failed to be a sire of sires except for one - Giant's Causeway. Giant's Causeway was also a great sire, but also failed to be a sire of sires (maybe Bricks and Mortar will do something in Japan)... except for Not This Time. IMO Not This Time is carrying the banner for Storm Cat/Giant's Causeway, and his better foals are probably still on their way as I think he got better mares recently. He's on the upswing, and losing him now would cut that sireline at its knees.
Even though I'm generally not a fan of the few start stallions, I've been a fan of Not This Tine all along and have rooted for him in his 2nd career.
His colts ran 1, 2 in the Fountain of Youth today.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:52 pm

Saint Liam
According to Jockey Club records, Saint Liam sired 98 named foals in his single crop. From those foals, he sired 68 winners (69.4%) and 9 stakes winners (9.2%).
Had HOTY Havre de Grace and other SWs from a single crop. Damsire of G1W Sharp Azteca* and G2W Ahh Chocolate. Also, sired a MG1W in Mexico, Coccolo.

http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/saint-liam.html

*Which TBF is questionable because of Juice Man.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
CoronadosQuest

Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:49 pm

For me, it would be Curlin as he reminds me so much of his sire Smart Strike in producing a wide variety of horses. Plus, the horses he has sired seem pretty sturdy. I just really love Curlin foals (and Curlin lol)
Izvestia

Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:31 am

Mylute wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:52 pm Saint Liam
According to Jockey Club records, Saint Liam sired 98 named foals in his single crop. From those foals, he sired 68 winners (69.4%) and 9 stakes winners (9.2%).
He was a huge loss.
Izvestia

Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:32 am

Retrospectiv wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:13 pm
Falinadin wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:03 pm
I would consider Not This Time. Storm Cat was a hugely popular sire in the early 2000s but failed to be a sire of sires except for one - Giant's Causeway. Giant's Causeway was also a great sire, but also failed to be a sire of sires (maybe Bricks and Mortar will do something in Japan)... except for Not This Time. IMO Not This Time is carrying the banner for Storm Cat/Giant's Causeway, and his better foals are probably still on their way as I think he got better mares recently. He's on the upswing, and losing him now would cut that sireline at its knees.
Even though I'm generally not a fan of the few start stallions, I've been a fan of Not This Tine all along and have rooted for him in his 2nd career.
His colts ran 1, 2 in the Fountain of Youth today.
Stormy Atlantic was a highly underrated stallion.
Slewfan2

Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:37 am

Old Trieste died very young, but he’d already shown huge promise. I don’t know how to look up his stats since obviously he died, but he was off to a very good start.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Maybe Barbaro? He was the most attractive and balanced son of Dynaformer that I have seen, along with being a superior racehorse.
Has Dynaformer produced a really good sire-son to continue his line of Roberto? Barbaro's loss meant we never got progeny from Dynaformer's arguably best son.
Falinadin

Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:28 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:54 pm Maybe Barbaro? He was the most attractive and balanced son of Dynaformer that I have seen, along with being a superior racehorse.
Has Dynaformer produced a really good sire-son to continue his line of Roberto? Barbaro's loss meant we never got progeny from Dynaformer's arguably best son.
That's a good one. I really like Dynaformer and looking back, Barbaro was probably his best chance at having a successful son (a derby winner would probably have been more well supported than his turf sons Temple City and Point of Entry, as much as I like them).
I also think Saint Liam was a loss, like others said.
Retrospectiv

Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:54 pm

If we're opening up to include those who never made it to stud, I'd rank Izvestia up there.
He was brilliant when he was right, had speed and was set to retire to Gainesway who would have supported him.

For stallions with few crops, Easy Goer was a loss for the Alydar sire line.
He died at 8 and had 3 1/2 crops, but only 136 foals total, so the equivilent of one foal crop by today's standards.
From those 136 foals, he got 9 stakes winners including Grade 1 winners My Flag (BC winner), Will's Way, and Furlough.
From the few dams, he was the broodmare sire of two BC winners (Corinthian and Storm Flag Flying) among many other stakes winners with wins in: Met Mile, Frizette, Matron, CCA Oaks, Shuvee, Blue Grass, French 2000 Guineas, Yellow Ribbon, Del Mar Oaks, Gamely, John C Maybe etc etc. One of those dams produced the dam of yet another BC winner in London Bridge.....
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."