Hill N Dale removed one of their stallion handlers after she did an interview

Flanders

Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:06 pm

I guess this was the best section of the forum to put this article.

The article was posted on November 25th.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... eme-sport/

She says on Twitter she was immediately removed from handling stallions once Hill N Dale saw the article.
https://twitter.com/raypaulick/status/1 ... 6746236931

I have to imagine it was because of this line alone but would it have had the same outcome if a man did the interview? Its possible.
“I always wanted to do the breeding shed, because I get that adrenaline rush from that,” she continued. “If it's not going to maybe kill me or hurt me, I don't want to do it.”
HB1994

Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:30 pm

Yeah, not a good look for Hill N Dale. I hope she does well at Goldophin.
Northport

Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:51 pm

I wasn’t huge on that soundbite when I read the article, but is that really grounds for removing her from her position? She specified that at least Ghostzapper and Curlin were not violent horses, but maybe just mentioning the possibility of getting killed on the job, even jokingly, was enough send up red flags at Hill n Dale?

Did Hill n Dale not know about the article? Did they know and not ask to give it a once over before it got printed? Did shareholders and syndicate members complain that a 25 year old is joking about being killed by one of their stallions?

I’m sure there’s plenty involved in this matter that we will never know, but for Christina it’s a live and learn on public relations.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:15 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that even studs with personalities like The Player are still liable to have their moments and "episodes." When I read the article I wasn't shocked to discover some of the HND boys can be aggressive...because that's how it is.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Nenikikamen23

Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:30 pm

To act as though working with breeding stallions isn't a dangerous job is laughable. She spoke of the farm and the stallions alike with respect, I interpreted her comment as acknowledging the risks of her work and, maybe to the disappointment of some, joking about it a bit. Even the mildest stallions can have their days, and the industry as a whole is one that comes with its risks - acting like those risks don't exist doesn't do anything but make a fool of everyone imo. Jockeys, grooms, outriders, trainers, etc. all face risks when working with the horses, it's how it is. Not to mention, I see people jokingly discussing stallions like Spinning World, Dynaformer, and Halo all the time.
A is for Arrogate, A is for absolute superstar, A is for anointing
TapitsGal

Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm

I wish her luck at Darley. This isn't a good look for hill n Dale. It's so hard for a female to get a job as a stallion groom in Kentucky on the thoroughbred farms. Stuff like this doesn't help
sweettalk

Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:23 pm

man, i can't imagine the heartbreak since she's so attached to curlin.
merry christmas right?
Starine

Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:09 pm

It was a terrible quote. I had to roll my eyes a little when I read it.

But I don't know if it warranted her being taken off the job. Maybe she violated a non-disclosure agreement?
Diver52

Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:21 am

i thought it was a bit of a "I'd rather be climbing El Cap with no ropes" quote, but I don't see it as grounds to discharge. But most employees have no recourse because unions are evil. Glad she got another farm job.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Squeaky

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:56 am

Are farms so secretive and paranoid that they worry that if a stallion’s aggressive personality “gets out” that this will affect requests for breeding? I don’t think Curlin or Ghostzapper are lacking mares. Or more likely this is a liability/ insurance issue. It is a dangerous job for sure. I wonder what her parents thought of that quote?
Last edited by Squeaky on Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:05 pm

Has Bolt d'Oro gotten less mares because he had to go to equine therapy and take horse zannies (joke) or whatever?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:08 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:56 am Or more likely this is a liability/ insurance issue.
Yeah that is what I think too. I wanted to see what other people thought, this is my opinion on the situation.

She is doing herself no favors bringing this to light on twitter. She needs to learn that there are situations when you need to think before you talk because there are consequences.

I'm sure they told her why she was removed from the stallion barn but she didn't feel the need to share that on twitter. I personally don't feel bad for her. You don't say "I like to work in the stallion barn because I enjoy the thrill of the thought of being hurt or killed" in an article with a popular industry site.

Honestly if I owned a horse farm and an employee did an article with a large industry news source and said that quote, they wouldn't work in that area of the farm anymore. And it doesn't matter if she didn't quite mean it that way because that is what she said. HnD or their insurance company probably wondered is she going to put herself in dangerous situations? So they moved her to another job on the farm. Live and learn. She didn't learn yet though cause she is brought it to twitter.
Flanders

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Mylute wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:05 pm Has Bolt d'Oro gotten less mares because he had to go to equine therapy and take horse zannies (joke) or whatever?
I would say it has more to do with it being his 2nd and 3rd year than anything else. Or maybe they did decide that 200+ mares was too much for him mentally. I don't think breeders care much about stallions having aggression issues that is why I think its probably just normal stuff. But he still got good numbers.

2021 - 153
2020 - 146
2019 - 214
Slewfan2

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:02 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:08 pm
Squeaky wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:56 am Or more likely this is a liability/ insurance issue.
Yeah that is what I think too. I wanted to see what other people thought, this is my opinion on the situation.

She is doing herself no favors bringing this to light on twitter. She needs to learn that there are situations when you need to think before you talk because there are consequences.

I'm sure they told her why she was removed from the stallion barn but she didn't feel the need to share that on twitter. I personally don't feel bad for her. You don't say "I like to work in the stallion barn because I enjoy the thrill of the thought of being hurt or killed" in an article with a popular industry site.

Honestly if I owned a horse farm and an employee did an article with a large industry news source and said that quote, they wouldn't work in that area of the farm anymore. And it doesn't matter if she didn't quite mean it that way because that is what she said. HnD or their insurance company probably wondered is she going to put herself in dangerous situations? So they moved her to another job on the farm. Live and learn. She didn't learn yet though cause she is brought it to twitter.
I agree. I was just going to post that I did think she deserved to lose her position because that comment would indicate to me, if I were Hill N Dale, that she might subconsciously put herself in dangerous positions - and it wouldn’t be the stallions’ fault. She sounds like the kind of person who would agitate an already sticky situation instead of calming it....she’s not the kind of person I would ever hire.
Starine

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:02 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:08 pm She is doing herself no favors bringing this to light on twitter. She needs to learn that there are situations when you need to think before you talk because there are consequences.

You hit the nail on the head here. It was a dumb thing to say and now she is going to have to sleep in the bed she's made for herself.