Stallion Advice

Curtis

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:33 am

A friend of mine just bought a War Front mare out of a Two Punch mare. He’s thinking of taking it down to CA to breed her. She’s had 5 foals, 2 winners—a 3yo that has earned 49k and a 5yo that has earned 141k. There is a 2yo at EMD as well. Any thoughts?
CorridorZ75

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:47 am

It is hard to say without knowing build, female family, etc, but Clubhouse Ride, Mr. Big. or Smiling Tiger? I would love for Tamarando to end up establishing himself as he is another possible Godolphin stallion line and so few left.
Curtis

Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 am

CorridorZ75 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:47 am It is hard to say without knowing build, female family, etc, but Clubhouse Ride, Mr. Big. or Smiling Tiger? I would love for Tamarando to end up establishing himself as he is another possible Godolphin stallion line and so few left.
I suggested Clubhouse Ride and Smiling Tiger. I also mentioned Grazen. I forgot about Tamarando. When Stryker PhD was running so well up here a few years back, I remember mentioning to a few people that it wouldn’t be the worst idea to get a Bertrando stallion up here.
Missbeholder

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:04 am

Curtis wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:33 am A friend of mine just bought a War Front mare out of a Two Punch mare. He’s thinking of taking it down to CA to breed her. She’s had 5 foals, 2 winners—a 3yo that has earned 49k and a 5yo that has earned 141k. There is a 2yo at EMD as well. Any thoughts?
He might think about bringing some Unusual Heat to the table by looking at Acclamation. He's a 6-time GI winner, 5 on turf and 1 on synthetic (Pacific Classic). He's an Eclipse Award winner and stands at Harris Farms in Coalinga for a 2021 fee of $4K.

He's out of a Silveyville mare and I thought that cross might be attractive for a War Front mare. Just a thought.🙂
Flanders

Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:47 am

Om entered stud in 2020 so how he is as a stallion is an unknown. But Munnings over Danzig line mares has done pretty good.
Northport

Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:54 am

He's a bit pricey but Sir Prancealot?
weeeeeeeee
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:58 am

I'll Have Another did pretty well in Japan considering he was super up against it (I think he was within the Top 10 of dirt sires when he was over there) and he has been well received numbers wise.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
starrydreamer

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:34 pm

Based off that description, I know which mare (I have a spreadsheet of all of War Front's offspring).

If your friend can afford the stud fee, I say Sir Prancealot. With the War Front love of turf and the fact that the mare hasn't been bred yet (I don't think) to any big turf sires, this could be a good match (a TrueNick A), plus not a lot of inbreeding.

If not, then I'll Have Another is a bit more in line with the stallions the mare has gone to in the past, with some success. Inbred to Danzig 5x3 and Mr Prospector 5x4.

No Grazen, that's pretty well inbred to Rubiano, since War Front's dam is a Rubiano mare. Unless your friend is into that sort of thing.

Acclamation is an interesting match and a more affordable stud fee.
Curtis

Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:34 pm Based off that description, I know which mare (I have a spreadsheet of all of War Front's offspring).

If your friend can afford the stud fee, I say Sir Prancealot. With the War Front love of turf and the fact that the mare hasn't been bred yet (I don't think) to any big turf sires, this could be a good match (a TrueNick A), plus not a lot of inbreeding.

If not, then I'll Have Another is a bit more in line with the stallions the mare has gone to in the past, with some success. Inbred to Danzig 5x3 and Mr Prospector 5x4.

No Grazen, that's pretty well inbred to Rubiano, since War Front's dam is a Rubiano mare. Unless your friend is into that sort of thing.

Acclamation is an interesting match and a more affordable stud fee.
You know more than I do since he didn’t tell me her name. He’s a farrier I use and he just told me about her yesterday. He got her pretty cheap since he shoes the horses of her former owner. Finances are an issue. I knew about the Rubiano issue with Grazen. We get a lot of Grazen’s up here and they do well. They all seem to try so hard. I figured I’d bring him up. My friend was leading breeder in the state a couple of times. I’m guessing he will do his homework and do what’s best for him and the mare. A few years ago he got a “sweet” package deal to breed three mares to Colonel John. He thought the discount was because he waited until June to breed them. Turns out Colonel John was being sold to so. Korea just about the time the mares were announced in foal. He ended up with three fillies, now 4, that are still in the process of being broke. For my farrier, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Thanks for everyone’s advice!
starrydreamer

Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:07 pm

I'm almost 100% certain it's Queen of War (2009 f. War Front x Knockout Crown). War Front just hasn't seen many Two Punch mares.

I wish him all the best with her!
Curtis

Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:24 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:07 pm I'm almost 100% certain it's Queen of War (2009 f. War Front x Knockout Crown). War Front just hasn't seen many Two Punch mares.

I wish him all the best with her!
He had a Relaunch mare with which he did a lot of good, so he knows his stuff......even on a shoestring or in his case I guess a shoe nail?
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 pm

Stay Thirsty moved to Cali recently. Sire of two American millionaires and a slough of stakes horses. Inbreeding to Northern Dancer, Neartic, and Danzig himself. Nicks a D but the closest crosses are mostly in AUS, and it has yielded a G1W.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Gemini

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:50 pm

Prospect Park is a nice stallion (albeit unproven so far) for only $2500.
Diver52

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:54 am

Clubhouse Ride has been very solid but with a War Front mare (even if they breed to race) I might go for Stay Thirsty or Om--Stanford is also in California and a possible option. TVG adds extol his foals hips.

I remember many, many years ago I subscribed to the Thoroughbreds of California magazine. There was a stallion named Atomic advertised; I believe he was by Bold Ruler but he apparently did not succeed. California was thrilled to get Successor, IIRC a GSW brother to Bold Lad--the mare (Misty Morn, by Princequillo, so very closely related to Secretariant) but neither he nor Bold Lad did squat at stud.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
KatieK101

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:25 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:34 pm Based off that description, I know which mare (I have a spreadsheet of all of War Front's offspring).
Off topic but I do the exact same thing with another stallion. Glad to know I'm not the only one :lol:
starrydreamer

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:50 pm

Mylute wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 pm Stay Thirsty moved to Cali recently. Sire of two American millionaires and a slough of stakes horses. Inbreeding to Northern Dancer, Neartic, and Danzig himself. Nicks a D but the closest crosses are mostly in AUS, and it has yielded a G1W.
See, I think that's just too much Danzig up close.
Curtis

Wed May 19, 2021 8:19 pm

He ended up choosing Protonico. The mare goes to KY next week. My friend has been befallen by some serious ailments recently. I told him if his mare drops a colt and qualifies for the Derby, I’d go back there with him in four years.
Falinadin

Wed May 19, 2021 10:13 pm

Curtis wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:19 pm He ended up choosing Protonico. The mare goes to KY next week. My friend has been befallen by some serious ailments recently. I told him if his mare drops a colt and qualifies for the Derby, I’d go back there with him in four years.
Out of curiosity, what's he costing? His advertised fee for the year is $5k, but according to the Bloodhorse article their phone started ringing off the hook after the derby and people started adding a lot of mares to the end of the season, so I was wondering if they are honoring the $5k or if they're upping it since demand has increased.
Curtis

Thu May 20, 2021 12:25 pm

Falinadin wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:13 pm
Curtis wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:19 pm He ended up choosing Protonico. The mare goes to KY next week. My friend has been befallen by some serious ailments recently. I told him if his mare drops a colt and qualifies for the Derby, I’d go back there with him in four years.
Out of curiosity, what's he costing? His advertised fee for the year is $5k, but according to the Bloodhorse article their phone started ringing off the hook after the derby and people started adding a lot of mares to the end of the season, so I was wondering if they are honoring the $5k or if they're upping it since demand has increased.
You know, I don’t know. As I said my friend has incurred some serious health issues all of a sudden. I can’t imagine he’s paying more than 5K, since that’s not his MO. Also, it’ll be almost June by the time the mare is covered which he often does to get a better deal. He may have jumped on the phone during Medina Spirit’s Derby gallop out.
starrydreamer

Thu May 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks for following up with your buddy's choice. I like the relative lack of inbreeding! I'll be following this one.