Nyquist

Flanders

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm

He got another G1SW today, Gretzky The Great, on the turf in the Summer Stakes(G1) at Woodbine. He also got Vequist who won the Spinaway(G1) on dirt at Saratoga and Lady Lilly, the 3rd place finisher in the Spinaway. All 3 are out of mare's by A.P. Indy sons. Gretzky The Great (out of a Bernardini mare), Vequist (out of a Mineshaft mare) and Lady Lilly (out of a Pulpit mare). Uncle Mo does pretty well with A.P. Indy line mares but Nyquist is on another level at this point with this cross. 3 winners from 5 starters, 2 G1SWs, 1 G1sp.
CorridorZ75

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 pm

The Nasrullah lines usually do well with each other.
Curtis

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:44 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm He got another G1SW today, Gretzky The Great, on the turf in the Summer Stakes(G1) at Woodbine. He also got Vequist who won the Spinaway(G1) on dirt at Saratoga and Lady Lilly, the 3rd place finisher in the Spinaway. All 3 are out of mare's by A.P. Indy sons. Gretzky The Great (out of a Bernardini mare), Vequist (out of a Mineshaft mare) and Lady Lilly (out of a Pulpit mare). Uncle Mo does pretty well with A.P. Indy line mares but Nyquist is on another level at this point with this cross. 3 winners from 5 starters, 2 G1SWs, 1 G1sp.
I loved everything about Nyquist and I hope his success maintains. Arrogate was the best from that crop—and maybe every crop post-1976—but Nyquist was my favorite. He was tough and fast, could beat good sprinters, sprinting and routers, routing. I think most of his post-Derby problems stemmed from the fact he disliked slop and Exaggerator was unimpeded by it. In Excess was a personal favorite of mine. I’m glad, Nyquist and Uncle Mo, tracing to him, are having success in KY.
Gemini

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 am

Curtis wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:44 pm
Flanders wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm He got another G1SW today, Gretzky The Great, on the turf in the Summer Stakes(G1) at Woodbine. He also got Vequist who won the Spinaway(G1) on dirt at Saratoga and Lady Lilly, the 3rd place finisher in the Spinaway. All 3 are out of mare's by A.P. Indy sons. Gretzky The Great (out of a Bernardini mare), Vequist (out of a Mineshaft mare) and Lady Lilly (out of a Pulpit mare). Uncle Mo does pretty well with A.P. Indy line mares but Nyquist is on another level at this point with this cross. 3 winners from 5 starters, 2 G1SWs, 1 G1sp.
I loved everything about Nyquist and I hope his success maintains. Arrogate was the best from that crop—and maybe every crop post-1976—but Nyquist was my favorite. He was tough and fast, could beat good sprinters, sprinting and routers, routing. I think most of his post-Derby problems stemmed from the fact he disliked slop and Exaggerator was unimpeded by it. In Excess was a personal favorite of mine. I’m glad, Nyquist and Uncle Mo, tracing to him, are having success in KY.
I also wonder if Nyquist's superlative Derby effort took too much out of him. The slop in the Preakness definitely didn't help but he didn't run the same on fast tracks either afterwards.
Slinky_Malinky

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 am

It's worth noting that Nyquist's second dam Seeking Regina has 3 winners of >$150,000 who are all by sons of Seattle Slew: two by AP Indy and one by Capote. The Capote and one of the AP Indy's both won over $300k.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:55 am

Nyquist probably couldve benefited from having the rest of the year off (or with light training) and then brought back the following year, but y'know.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Curtis

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:31 am

Gemini wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 am
Curtis wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:44 pm
I also wonder if Nyquist's superlative Derby effort took too much out of him. The slop in the Preakness definitely didn't help but he didn't run the same on fast tracks either afterwards.
If I remember right he only caught one fast track—the PA Derby— as the track was sloppy for the Haskell. That’s when he should have been rested, after the Haskell. Instead they tried to make the BCC using the PA Derby in between. I would have liked to seen both he and Exaggerator in the Malibu and then the Pegasus.
KatieK101

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Mylute wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:55 am Nyquist probably couldve benefited from having the rest of the year off (or with light training) and then brought back the following year, but y'know.