Made You Look

Saban

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:20 pm

Stallion Prospect? Made You Look won a graded stakes race at 2 and another graded stakes race at the age of 3. He started out as a pretty good turf horse. At the end of his 3 year old season (July), he had a long layoff (10 months). At the end of his 4 year old season (August), he had another long layoff (11 months). He wasn't as good after that probably due to injuries and racing wear and tear (he now has had 20 races and has earned $473,000).

His pedigree looks good. His sire is More Than Ready and his BM sire is Unbridled's Song. Made You Look's grand dam is Serena's Song.

So, I wonder what his stud chances are?
Saban

Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:30 pm

At 6 years old, Made You Look is still competitive in allowance races despite injuries and wear and tear. He finished 4th in his last race (6/26/20), an AOC race finishing a neck behind the 3rd place horse who finished a head behind the 2nd place horse. So, he easily could have finished 2nd. The claiming price in that race was 150K, but Made You Look was not in for a tag.

I think that barring injury, we may see him race next in either the Bernard Baruch Stakes (grade 2) on the 26th of July at Saratoga or an allowance race on the 29th of July, also at Saratoga. We should find out Monday (7/13/20) if he is nominated to the Bernard Baruch Stakes.
Flanders

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 pm

He is 6 and has managed just 20 lifetime starts and hasn't won a race since 2018. Since May 2018, his race record is (10)0-2-0-3. You would think given his pedigree that someone would want to stand him but if someone wanted to stand him, he wouldn't still be racing. He always has multiple huge layoffs which makes me wonder if he has soundness problems (not that anyone going for a stallion cares about that anyway, so I guess that is a non-factor). I feel like he is the kind of horse that gets sold for stud duty at Keeneland November and ends up exported.
Saban

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 pm He is 6 and has managed just 20 lifetime starts and hasn't won a race since 2018. Since May 2018, his race record is (10)0-2-0-3. You would think given his pedigree that someone would want to stand him but if someone wanted to stand him, he wouldn't still be racing. He always has multiple huge layoffs which makes me wonder if he has soundness problems (not that anyone going for a stallion cares about that anyway, so I guess that is a non-factor). I feel like he is the kind of horse that gets sold for stud duty at Keeneland November and ends up exported.

Thanks for the response. You could be right. I like the fact that MYL won graded stakes races at 2 and at 3 (early in his 3 year old season). Horsemen seem to prefer horses that win early over horses that win later on. I think that injuries and wear and tear have hurt him and he is not quite as good as he was starting out. Despite that, he still is a threat in allowance races at the big racetracks. Hope to see him at the Saratoga meet.
Saban

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Saban wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:30 pm At 6 years old, Made You Look is still competitive in allowance races despite injuries and wear and tear. He finished 4th in his last race (6/26/20), an AOC race finishing a neck behind the 3rd place horse who finished a head behind the 2nd place horse. So, he easily could have finished 2nd. The claiming price in that race was 150K, but Made You Look was not in for a tag.

I think that barring injury, we may see him race next in either the Bernard Baruch Stakes (grade 2) on the 26th of July at Saratoga or an allowance race on the 29th of July, also at Saratoga. We should find out Monday (7/13/20) if he is nominated to the Bernard Baruch Stakes.
Made You Look is not nominated to the Bernard Baruch Stakes. He also has not had a public workout since his last race on June 26. If he is injured again, then he should be retired to stud someplace.

His trainer, Philip Bauer, sometimes does space his workouts, so maybe he will have a public work soon. His owner, Rigney Racing, I think have their own racetrack on their property, so maybe Made You Look is working out in private.

I hope to see him racing again soon.
Saban

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:46 am

It looks like we might see Made You Look racing again as he had a workout yesterday (7/17) at Churchill Downs. Where? Maybe at Saratoga in an allowance race on 7/29, or maybe at Ellis Park in a mile preview 100K stakes on 8/2, a prep for the Kentucky Downs meet. Could be interesting.
Saban

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:34 am

Made You Look has been nominated to the Kentucky Downs Preview Tourist Stakes, a 1 mile 100K race on turf at Ellis Park on August 2nd. Graded stakes winners are preferred, so Made You Look should be able to enter if his handlers want him to.

I expect we will see a workout by Made You Look this weekend if his connections do plan to enter him in that stakes race.
Saban

Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm

Turns out, Made You Look is entered in the AOC race on the 29th of July. There is also a 150K claiming tag on him. I don't know if anyone will be willing to shell out $150,000. for him. If someone does, then I hope that they plan to stand him on a nice farm for a long time.
Saban

Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:57 am

Saban wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm Turns out, Made You Look is entered in the AOC race on the 29th of July. There is also a 150K claiming tag on him. I don't know if anyone will be willing to shell out $150,000. for him. If someone does, then I hope that they plan to stand him on a nice farm for a long time.

In that AOC race at Saratoga, only 2 horses have 150K claiming tags on them, and the other horse needs the tag to enter the race because he otherwise has won too much to qualify for that race. Not so with Made You Look. One of the conditions is that for horses that have never won 5 races and Made You Look has won 4 (two graded stakes wins, one allowance win, and a maiden win). Maybe his handlers put the price on him to see if there is any interest in buying Made You Look.

$150,000 is a pretty steep price and I doubt that Made You Look will be claimed from this race.
Saban

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 pm

4th place today at Saratoga. Kind of disappointing because Made You Look looked like he was going to finish 2nd, but a couple of horses went by him toward the end of the race. Winners time was 1:41:35 for the 1 1/16 mile race. Made You Look was in with some good horses today.

Maybe his handlers should look for open allowance races at smaller tracks with purses in the 30K's or 40K's. It's just getting too hard to find a soft spot at the big tracks, especially in races for horses that have never won 4 races other than...
Saban

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:29 pm

Saban wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 pm 4th place today at Saratoga. Kind of disappointing because Made You Look looked like he was going to finish 2nd, but a couple of horses went by him toward the end of the race. Winners time was 1:41:35 for the 1 1/16 mile race. Made You Look was in with some good horses today.

Maybe his handlers should look for open allowance races at smaller tracks with purses in the 30K's or 40K's. It's just getting too hard to find a soft spot at the big tracks, especially in races for horses that have never won 4 races other than...
Looking through the condition books of some of the various smaller tracks, I get the idea that there are not any open allowance races at those tracks. They all seem to be conditioned allowance races (never won a race other than, never won 2 races other than, etc.) of which Made You Look has won too much to qualify for. About the only thing that looks feasible is a couple of races at Colonial Downs on August 26. One is an overnight handicap with a purse of 45K and a stakes race worth 50K. They seem to be open races.

Another possibility is the 300K Tapit Stakes at Kentucky Downs for horses that have not won a stakes races this year. That should eliminate some tough competition, but it still could be a tough race with that purse.
Saban

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:09 pm

There is an AOC race on the 23rd of August with a purse of 80K ar Saratoga for horses that have never won a graded stakes race and have not won any race this year. Made You Look could enter if his handlers would be willing to have a 100K claiming price on him. Sounds like an interesting race and maybe about as soft a spot as you could find for Made You Look for a race with a purse of 80K.
Saban

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:47 pm

I think that Made You Look is all through racing. His last race was on July 29th and he has not had a workout since and has not been entered in a race. He probably is injured, but he will be 7 years old next year and has already slipped some. Maybe it is time to look for a stud farm, but the timing is bad for that now.
Saban

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:20 pm

Wrong again. Made You Look had a workout today at Churchill Downs, so it looks like he will be racing again. I hope he can race next year as a 7 year old and can be competitive in non-claiming races. This is a bad time to go to stud. Maybe after next year, this Covid-19 stuff will be over and hopefully, things will be back to normal.
Saban

Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:34 pm

Made You Look is nominated to at least 3 stakes races as of now. He is nominated to the 115K Opening Verse Overnight Stakes on 9/3/20 at Churchill Downs, and the 750K Tourist Mile on 9/7/20 at Kentucky Downs, and the 300K Tapit Stakes on 9/9/20, also at Kentucky Downs. So, we should be finding out soon where Made You Look will be racing next. Of course, he may end up racing in a different race from those three.
Saban

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:57 pm

Made You Look is entered in the 115K Opening Verse Overnight Stakes on 9/3 , or next Thursday at Churchill Downs. He still could scratch and enter one of the stakes races at Kentucky Downs on the 7th or 9th of September. I think he will race on the 3rd at Churchill Downs. Good luck to Made You Look.