2024 Two-Year-Olds

Northport

Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:50 pm

Slang was pulled up going into the turn, but then dropped her jockey and got loose.

Definitely a rough race
weeeeeeeee
Squeaky

Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:36 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:31 pm Schuylerville was rough. Complexion kept freaking out in the gate, delayed the start for awhile, banged up Johnny V in the gate too, she ran poorly. Mirahmadi somehow missed/ignored that Whatintheliteral stumbled BADLY coming out of the gate, her head was in the dirt and Castellano got thrown. Slang was pulled up, I didn't notice a visible injury but something was wrong.

The Queens M G wins at 44-1, giving Thousand Words his 2nd SW.
Very roughly run race. I really think that Complexion should have been scratched by the vet behind the gate -she was rearing very high and banging around repeatedly -a real melt down in the gate-Johnny V hurt his elbow. Not surprised she threw in the towel early after that and wouldn’t be surprised if she came back body sore or may have hit her head. Whaiintheliteral stumbled so badly she stepped on her reins and pulled her bridle completely off one jump out of the gate. She then ran loose around the track with the bridle flopping over her head and around her feet-lucky she didn’t get all tangled up in all that. Hope all come back safe and sound. Certainly was an eventful race. Saffie’s horses are winning alot lately.
Izvestia

Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:24 am

Squeaky wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:36 pm Saffie’s horses are winning alot lately.
Bet White Abarrio next time!!!
KatieK101

Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:58 am

Nice article about 2YOs that could pop up in the next few months and who they're trained by: https://www.drf.com/news/success-breedi ... -antonucci

Mentioned are foals out of Covfefe, Dream Rush, Serengeti Empress, Diva Delite, Queen Be To You, Tiger Moth, Teresa Z.
Squeaky

Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:20 am

Mentee scratched from Sanford with a fever https://x.com/repolestable/status/18120 ... 01606?s=46
Curtis

Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:35 am

Izvestia wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:24 am
Squeaky wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:36 pm Saffie’s horses are winning alot lately.
As long as the stewards don’t come up with a quick test, I’m in.
stark

Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:09 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:35 am
Bet the Saffie exacta in race 10 today with the longer price coming home on top!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:20 pm

stark wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:09 pm

Bet the Saffie exacta in race 10 today with the longer price coming home on top!
Does the NYRA feed show if the judges are on track with equine breathalyzers to use before the quick official? That might influence my bet.
stark

Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:51 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:20 pm
stark wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:09 pm

Does the NYRA feed show if the judges are on track with equine breathalyzers to use before the quick official? That might influence my bet.
@ Gulfstream, anything goes!
Squeaky

Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:06 pm

Complexity gets another winner with Tough Catch at SAR for Dallas Stewart. Innovator, a 900k Authentic yearling for BC Stables and Lukas improved off debut to run a good second..
Squeaky

Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:04 pm

Squeaky wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:36 pm
Flanders wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:31 pm Schuylerville was rough. Complexion kept freaking out in the gate, delayed the start for awhile, banged up Johnny V in the gate too, she ran poorly. Mirahmadi somehow missed/ignored that Whatintheliteral stumbled BADLY coming out of the gate, her head was in the dirt and Castellano got thrown. Slang was pulled up, I didn't notice a visible injury but something was wrong.

Very roughly run race. I really think that Complexion should have been scratched by the vet behind the gate -she was rearing very high and banging around repeatedly -a real melt down in the gate-Johnny V hurt his elbow. Not surprised she threw in the towel early after that and wouldn’t be surprised if she came back body sore or may have hit her head. Whaiintheliteral stumbled so badly she stepped on her reins and pulled her bridle completely off one jump out of the gate. She then ran loose around the track with the bridle flopping over her head and around her feet-lucky she didn’t get all tangled up in all that. Hope all come back safe and sound. Certainly was an eventful race. Saffie’s horses are winning alot lately.
Danny Gargan agreed that Complexion should have been scratched after her gate antics. Fined 1000 dollars for screaming at stewards after the race in the winners circle on his phone. I don’t know who was supposed to make that call-I thought it was the track vet or can the stewards override and have the horse scratched? Seems like some type of break down in the system/ communication to me or maybe should not just be one person behind the gate making that decision in a very short time. https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... rville_123
Squeaky

Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:23 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:06 pm Complexity gets another winner with Tough Catch at SAR for Dallas Stewart. Innovator, a 900k Authentic yearling for BC Stables and Lukas improved off debut to run a good second..
Complexity another winner as NY-bred Mo Plex takes the Sanford.
Missbeholder

Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:08 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:04 pm

Danny Gargan agreed that Complexion should have been scratched after her gate antics. Fined 1000 dollars for screaming at stewards after the race in the winners circle on his phone. I don’t know who was supposed to make that call-I thought it was the track vet or can the stewards override and have the horse scratched? Seems like some type of break down in the system/ communication to me or maybe should not just be one person behind the gate making that decision in a very short time. https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... rville_123
That's a good question about who is allowed to make a last minute scratch call for a horse at the gate. We know the vet can, obviously,. We know also that the jockey CAN make the call in the interest of their own safety if he or she feels something is seriously wrong between getting a leg up and reaching the starting gate, although that pretty much never happens. Just because of how angry Danny Gargan got at the stewards over Complexion NOT being scratched by them (and suffered a $1K fine for it), I guess it's safe to assume that the trainer CAN'T make an emergency gate scratch on his or her own, or Danny G surely would have.

I don't know.......CAN the Stewarrds make the call to scratch a horse at the gate on their own volition without input, request, or advice of pertinent personnel?

I do remember a pretty momentus jockey scratch from decades ago that caused quite a stir. I remember that Chris McCarron scratched a horse at the gate in a race once because he was extremely unhappy with the way the horse was warming up. I don't recall for sure whether it was a stakes race, but forget that! The trainer for that horse that CJ basically refused to ride at the last minute was some guy named Charlie Whittingham! The explosion of angry chatter around the whole race track, and particularly the Bald Eagle's barn was deafening! If it had been anybody else but Chris (and Shoe of course), I would have been surprised if Charlie ever used him again he was so upset. But of course he did!

Curtis and/or stark, do you guys by any chance remember anything about that incident? I'm curious to know!
Missbeholder

Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:35 pm

I just read the DRF article which explains more about the phone altercation between Danny Gargan and the Stewards after the race. He didn't cuss them out for not scratching his filly. He was enraged because he felt that the gates were opened too soon. He didn't think she was ready so soon after finally getting loaded. So, I guess that doesn't really help to answer the question about Stewards, or trainers, gate-scratching horses on their own.

To his credit, he did seem to accept the fine, and the accountability, for using foul language toward the Stewards. So at least there's that.

www.drf.com/news/gargan-fined-1000-beha ... uylerville
Curtis

Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:51 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:08 pm
Squeaky wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:04 pm
That's a good question about who is allowed to make a last minute scratch call for a horse at the gate. We know the vet can, obviously,. We know also that the jockey CAN make the call in the interest of their own safety if he or she feels something is seriously wrong between getting a leg up and reaching the starting gate, although that pretty much never happens. Just because of how angry Danny Gargan got at the stewards over Complexion NOT being scratched by them (and suffered a $1K fine for it), I guess it's safe to assume that the trainer CAN'T make an emergency gate scratch on his or her own, or Danny G surely would have.

I don't know.......CAN the Stewarrds make the call to scratch a horse at the gate on their own volition without input, request, or advice of pertinent personnel?

I do remember a pretty momentus jockey scratch from decades ago that caused quite a stir. I remember that Chris McCarron scratched a horse at the gate in a race once because he was extremely unhappy with the way the horse was warming up. I don't recall for sure whether it was a stakes race, but forget that! The trainer for that horse that CJ basically refused to ride at the last minute was some guy named Charlie Whittingham! The explosion of angry chatter around the whole race track, and particularly the Bald Eagle's barn was deafening! If it had been anybody else but Chris (and Shoe of course), I would have been surprised if Charlie ever used him again he was so upset. But of course he did!

Curtis and/or stark, do you guys by any chance remember anything about that incident? I'm curious to know!
It involved a mare named Fitzwilliam Place. She had kind of a rough way of moving. She was one of those European imports that Bruce McNall bought and brought over. Charlie liked to use young jocks the first couple of races here sometimes and if I remember correctly he was putting Aaron Gryder up on her. The first time Charlie ran her it was 6.5 down the hill and she dwelt at the start. She soon showed her stuff though and became a G1 type and McCarron got the mount. I don’t remember how many times CJ had been on Fitzwilliam Place, but on the way to the gate in the Gamely at Hollywood Park, she was moving rough and McCarron took her to the vet who scratched her. Charlie was livid. In all the years I followed races the only horse I ever remember Charlie losing in the afternoon was Linda’s Chief and that was a freak accident. I think later in the meet, in the Beverly Hills, Charlie put Gary Stevens or maybe Gryder on Fitzwilliam Place and she won. Whittingham had a temper but he didn’t hold grudges and eventually CJ got back in his good graces.
Missbeholder

Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:39 am

Thanks so much Curtis! I was pretty sure it was a stakes race, but the only name I could come up with in my mind was Flawlessly, and I KNEW it wasn't her! I do remember now that filly's name, Fitzwilliam Place.

It's comforting, and validating, to know that my aging brain isn't just making things up from somewhere in the coils! I appreciate it so much! I just knew that you would remember!😊
stark

Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:09 am

More on the McCarron, Whittingham saga....

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Missbeholder

Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:48 am

stark wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:09 am More on the McCarron, Whittingham saga....

Thanks for posting that, stark. How some of you folks manage to find old articles like that just dazzles me! So Cool!!
Curtis

Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:10 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:48 am
stark wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:09 am More on the McCarron, Whittingham saga....

Thanks for posting that, stark. How some of you folks manage to find old articles like that just dazzles me! So Cool!!
Wow, I guess I remembered it almost flawlessly.😉 Speaking of Flawlessly, I’ve got another story for another day about the 1993 Gamely involving Flawlessly, CJ, Kent, Charlie and Bobby Frankel. It probably explains why Bushnell never hired Frankel as a spokesperson.
Squeaky

Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:13 pm

Curtis wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:10 pm
Missbeholder wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:48 am

Wow, I guess I remembered it almost flawlessly.😉 Speaking of Flawlessly, I’ve got another story for another day about the 1993 Gamely involving Flawlessly, CJ, Kent, Charlie and Bobby Frankel. It probably explains why Bushnell never hired Frankel as a spokesperson.
I’ll bite. Bushel the binocular company?