Jockey & Trainer News 2023

stark

Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:25 pm

Weren't there some rules about jockey agents???

Jose Santos Jr.

@joesantos_33
Jockey Agent representing: J.Leparoux, R.Gutierrez, E.Esquivel, D.Cabrera, F.Jara, K.Desormeaux, F.Manrrique, J.Hernandez, F.Giles, & C.Elliott

https://twitter.com/joesantos_33
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:45 pm

Drayden Van Dyke guides Practically Dark to his maiden win in R8 at Gulfstream Park, his 2nd victory on the card and 5th since switching his tack to South Florida at the behest of trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. earlier this week.
Cigarillo

Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:19 pm

stark wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:45 pm Drayden Van Dyke guides Practically Dark to his maiden win in R8 at Gulfstream Park, his 2nd victory on the card and 5th since switching his tack to South Florida at the behest of trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. earlier this week.
That's great to hear. I've always wondered why he races sparingly out here in California.
TapitsGal

Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:28 am

stark wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:45 pm Drayden Van Dyke guides Practically Dark to his maiden win in R8 at Gulfstream Park, his 2nd victory on the card and 5th since switching his tack to South Florida at the behest of trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. earlier this week.
Speaking of saffie. White abarrio's owners were really unhappy with him running fifth in the met mile. The result of that is they've yanked the horse from dutrow effective immediately and have returned him to saffie Joseph jr
Squeaky

Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:47 am

So is he going back to Florida now while training for a race in NY?
Diver52

Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:53 am

TapitsGal wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:28 am
Speaking of saffie. White abarrio's owners were really unhappy with him running fifth in the met mile. The result of that is they've yanked the horse from dutrow effective immediately and have returned him to saffie Joseph jr
Out of the frying pan. (back) into the fire.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Palace Malice

Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:16 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:28 am
Poor horse. :?
Northport

Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:10 pm

Given how openly despondent he was after the Saudi flop, I imagine that Dutrow is a wreck right now.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:29 pm

NY Gaming Commission is having a hearing this fall(September 18th) to see if they should revoke Steve Assmussen's ability to own and train horses in the state. Its because its about an every other year thing where the Feds have to make him pay his employees proper wages. I'm pretty sure it was the 5th time in like 10 years.

This is not an article its a PDF of the hearing notice
https://www.gaming.ny.gov/pdf/06.13.24. ... 1-2024.pdf

Edit to add article:

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/n ... s-license/
Squeaky

Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:58 pm

I have a question re: how stable workers are paid. When I was a groom in the 80’s we were paid a weekly salary and there was no hourly wage, overtime etc. Did this change to an hourly wage? How do stable workers in an outdoor casual barn setting vs an office or business where you punch in and out with a time clock kerp track of their hours? How are quiet time hours counted if you work typical barn hours of 5 am- 11 am then come back to feed 4-6 if you don’t have one in that afternoon)? I am just curious there is a lot of chatter about this on X -some say there are only paid less that 10.00/ hr others say they are making thousands, wearing Gucci shoes and gold chains and sending it all back to relatives in Mexico ( their words, not mine). All I know is it is very hard physical labor with a fair degree of danger with unpredictable high-strung animals and I have the utmost respect for what they do, having done it during college. Grooming 5-6 horses a day is alot. I would come home exhausted.
Flanders

Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:17 pm

Squeaky wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:58 pm I have a question re: how stable workers are paid. When I was a groom in the 80’s we were paid a weekly salary and there was no hourly wage, overtime etc. Did this change to an hourly wage? How do stable workers in an outdoor casual barn setting vs an office or business where you punch in and out with a time clock kerp track of their hours? How are quiet time hours counted if you work typical barn hours of 5 am- 11 am then come back to feed 4-6 if you don’t have one in that afternoon)? I am just curious there is a lot of chatter about this on X -some say there are only paid less that 10.00/ hr others say they are making thousands, wearing Gucci shoes and gold chains and sending it all back to relatives in Mexico ( their words, not mine). All I know is it is very hard physical labor with a fair degree of danger with unpredictable high-strung animals and I have the utmost respect for what they do, having done it during college. Grooming 5-6 horses a day is alot. I would come home exhausted.
I saw at some point, somewhere in an article, during one of these complaints or verdicts, they are required to have a time clock now. I don't necessarily mean it was one against Assmussen, a lot of trainers get in trouble for this kind of thing.

I found one article mentioning it:
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/c ... iolations/
Missbeholder

Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:33 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:17 pm
Squeaky wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:58 pm I have a question re: how stable workers are paid. When I was a groom in the 80’s we were paid a weekly salary and there was no hourly wage, overtime etc. Did this change to an hourly wage? How do stable workers in an outdoor casual barn setting vs an office or business where you punch in and out with a time clock kerp track of their hours? How are quiet time hours counted if you work typical barn hours of 5 am- 11 am then come back to feed 4-6 if you don’t have one in that afternoon)? I am just curious there is a lot of chatter about this on X -some say there are only paid less that 10.00/ hr others say they are making thousands, wearing Gucci shoes and gold chains and sending it all back to relatives in Mexico ( their words, not mine). All I know is it is very hard physical labor with a fair degree of danger with unpredictable high-strung animals and I have the utmost respect for what they do, having done it during college. Grooming 5-6 horses a day is alot. I would come home exhausted.
I saw at some point, somewhere in an article, during one of these complaints or verdicts, they are required to have a time clock now. I don't necessarily mean it was one against Assmussen, a lot of trainers get in trouble for this kind of thing.

I found one article mentioning it:
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/c ... iolations/
I can't say what's happening in other states, but California has been really cracking down on labor classifications and how people are paid. I got caught up in it myself several years before I retired back in 2020. My employer (a corporate entity located in Ohio) classified me as somewhere "in between " exempt and non-exempt, where they paid me my hourly rate for any hours I worked over 40 in a week, but didn't pay me the extra half-time in overtime pay. Good old California caught up with those good folks in Ohio, and I ended up getting a nice little surprise check for about $6K bucks in back overtime wages!

The thing is, in California any way, the classification of employees. An exempt employee is paid a flat salary for whatever the pay period is, but because they are generally management or supervisory employees, they are not compensated extra for any hours they work that exceeds 40 in a week. They usually have subordinate employees reporting to them, and have decision-making responsibilities in the operations they are responsible for.

The non-exempt employees are, frankly, the "grub" workers that report to all those exempt guys and gals. They are the ones that must be paid time-and-a-half for every hour they work over 8 hours in a day or 40 in a week. Again, I can't say that it's the same in every state outside of California, but I think that's where these trainers that are getting nailed for these payroll violations are getting in trouble. They're classifying their hot walkers and grooms as "exempt" employees and paying them a set salary per pay period instead of an hourly wage. Yes, according to the law, in California anyway, the employees are being short-paid. But for the most part, the trainers involved are getting nailed because of ignorance and not necessarily because of being willfully nefarious!
stark

Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:01 am

Jockey Frankie Dettori, who called off his retirement late last year, will be based in Saratoga this summer when the meet opens on July 11.

Agent Ron Anderson will book mounts for Dettori as well as Joel Rosario at Saratoga. John Velazquez, who Anderson had worked for since 2020, has retained Kiaran McLaughlin as his agent. McLaughlin also represents Luis Saez, the Belmont Stakes-winning rider who will be based in Saratoga as well. By rule, agents are limited to representing two journeyman riders at one time.
Squeaky

Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:44 pm

Interesting case for our forum’s legal experts. Probably shouldn’t have random people wandering around the shedrow feeding horses treats, at least without supervision and direction on which biters to avoid. I wonder if she was bitten in the face? https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -pony-bite
tachyon

Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:39 pm

-- from DRF

''Kazushi Kimura to ride the Del Mar meet''
https://www.drf.com/news/kazushi-kimura ... l-mar-meet
“It’s a new challenge,” Kimura said. “We’ll see what happens. Going to a new place is tough for business. I’ve got the opportunities to ride.”

“I hope I can have a couple of rides for the Breeders’ Cup. I’m really looking forward to it.”
Good for Kimura!
And thanks Bob Baffert and Phil D’Amato for giving him a chance!! :D
Starine

Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:24 pm

He's a good rider and should be well supported. I hate that Mr. Fisk hurt himself, but Kimura should be able to pick up some other good horses.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:59 am

Kentucky Court: Buff Bradley, Churchill Downs Not Liable For Pony Bite
https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/ ... -pony-bite

" ̶C̶h̶a̶r̶l̶i̶e̶ Henry bit me, ̶C̶h̶a̶r̶l̶i̶e̶ Henry bit my finger!"
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
stark

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:46 am

Asmussen assistant, Toby Sheets, found dead in Greece.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/a ... in-greece/
Northport

Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:44 am

Auguste Rodin winning the Prince of Wales's was Aidan O'Brien's 400th Group 1 winner.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:02 pm

The crew on FSN2 just did a touching tribute to Toby Sheets, and Maggie Wolfendale's remembrances brought tears. He was well-loved by everyone, but especially close to Maggie and her family. A big loss for the the NY backstretch. :cry: