2024 Three Year Olds

Northport

Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:54 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:37 am Apparently Emir of Qatar is spending tens of millions on established performers here and overseas -doesn’t care how much it costs just wants to win
Oh I've been trying to keep up with his purchases, and have listened to interviews with his bloodstock managers and sales advisors. They definitely don't have blank cheques, but it's pretty close. Their haul before Royal Ascot was eye watering. I'm interested to see if they plan to get into the breeding side of it at all, because even though making money in this sport is almost impossible for most, their current business model isn't the most efficient.
weeeeeeeee
Tessablue

Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:38 pm

Speak Easy to the Allen Jerkens, Parenting a soft maybe for the Travers. He did get a 100 BSF for that win, which is a lot quicker than it looked to my eye.
Starine

Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:31 pm

Unbeaten In 2024, Dragoon Guard Headlines West Virginia Derby
https://paulickreport.com/news/thorough ... inia-derby
Curtis

Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:24 am

Tessablue wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:38 pm Speak Easy to the Allen Jerkens, Parenting a soft maybe for the Travers. He did get a 100 BSF for that win, which is a lot quicker than it looked to my eye.
In trying to mitigate breakdowns, I think Del Mar has overdid it with the El Segundo Sand. Races really seem to slow down late. Best to err that way though. Also he took pressure from both sides and besides working in company, that had to be a new experience for Parenting. I’m not saying he’s all set and ready to roll—if I had to pick a G1, I’d pick the PA Derby—but I think he got something out of the race.
brunanas

Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:32 pm

Mindframe sent to farm with bone bruising
https://www.drf.com/news/mindframe-sent ... e-bruising

Mindframe, the Belmont Stakes and Haskell runner-up, is currently on a farm in Ocala, Fla. He is unlikely to race prior to December, per owner Mike Repole.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Starine

Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:39 pm

Muth possible for Travers; Parenting more likely for Pacific Classic
https://www.drf.com/news/muth-possible- ... ic-classic
Izvestia

Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:26 pm

Starine wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:39 pm Muth possible for Travers; Parenting more likely for Pacific Classic
https://www.drf.com/news/muth-possible- ... ic-classic
Pacific Classic probably an easier field?!?
Saban

Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:09 pm

Saban wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:46 pm
Saban wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:26 pm So, where do you race a horse like Mighty Message? MM was bought for 230K last year. I am sure they don't want to put him in a claiming race, at least not yet. A graded stakes race is apparently out. A (N2X) allowance race probably is too. A 6 figure non-graded stakes race might be good if they can find a soft spot, but where is it? Anyone got any ideas?
Mighty Message is finally entered in a race, sort of (He last raced on 6/9). MM is entered as an also eligible on 7/29 in an allowance (N2X) race at Ellis Park. He is entered if the race is moved from turf to to the main track (MTO). So, if the weather is bad, we may see Mighty Message race again.

Probably a good idea. If it is muddy enough to move the race, then MM might just find the kind of field he could be competitive in.

Racing is not just about the big horses like Mystik Dan, and other classic contenders to me. I also like to root for average or above average horses that catch my attention.
That race was not moved to the main track, so Mighty Message was scratched. So, now what?

One idea might be to try a smaller track, like Horseshoe Indianapolis. I noticed that some of their allowance races have purses of more than $45,000. A race like that would be nice to win, and MM might be competitive there. Well, I am sure that a trainer like Amoss will find the right spot for him.
Squeaky

Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:20 am

brunanas wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:32 pm Mindframe sent to farm with bone bruising

Mindframe, the Belmont Stakes and Haskell runner-up, is currently on a farm in Ocala, Fla. He is unlikely to race prior to December, per owner Mike Repole.
Would rather see them turn him out for the rest of the year. Bone bruising often takes longer than the 60 days often quoted to fully heal. I would bring him back early next spring to have a great 4 yo season.
Curtis

Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:27 am

Squeaky wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:20 am
brunanas wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:32 pm Mindframe sent to farm with bone bruising

Would rather see them turn him out for the rest of the year. Bone bruising often takes longer than the 60 days often quoted to fully heal. I would bring him back early next spring to have a great 4 yo season.
If he really has bone bruising, I agree. I’m not sure I’m buying what they’re selling though.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:43 pm

Dragoon Guard (Arrogate x Filimbi) just won the West Virginia Derby. The beautifully-bred colt went to the front and stayed there.
Good weekend for nearly-white colts running them off their feet.
Izvestia

Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:43 pm Dragoon Guard (Arrogate x Filimbi) just won the West Virginia Derby. The beautifully-bred colt went to the front and stayed there.
:D Love this guy!
Missbeholder

Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:28 pm

Curtis wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:27 am
Squeaky wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:20 am

If he really has bone bruising, I agree. I’m not sure I’m buying what they’re selling though.
Me neither, Curtis. I just get so tired of all the drama surrounding these high profile horses, especially when the ownership gets heavily involved, publicly. I get that there's millions of dollars involved, and even more millions of dollars potentially down the road, but all the hemming and hawing......is the horse injured or not, is it sold or not, its it retired or not. It just gets so tiresome. And in these times, it's ALL about protecting a potential stallion's stud fee!

I remember all the crap that went on about Justify's retirement and possible breeding rights sale to Coolmore (or not). It just left such a bad taste in my mouth that it's really hard for me to be a fan of the poor horse, in spite of his accomplishment both on the track and at stud, and really marked the time that I came to detest WinStar Farm. I swear, any time I see Elliot Walden come on camera, I just want to gag!
Squeaky

Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:47 am

Dragoon Guard won the West VA Derby wire to wire. Beautiful near white son of Arrogate with a lovely full long tail that flows out behind him when he runs. Next start undecided-maybe PA Derby?
barbaro111

Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:38 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:43 pm Dragoon Guard (Arrogate x Filimbi) just won the West Virginia Derby. The beautifully-bred colt went to the front and stayed there.
It was a great weekend for beautiful greys (nearly white) colts!!!!
Squeaky

Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:58 pm

barbaro111 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:38 am
Great picture of his beautiful tail https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... double_123
Starine

Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:51 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:47 am Dragoon Guard won the West VA Derby wire to wire. Beautiful near white son of Arrogate with a lovely full long tail that flows out behind him when he runs. Next start undecided-maybe PA Derby?
The PA Derby makes a lot of sense; the Travers comes up too soon. He's a very nice colt.
Saban

Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:12 pm

Saban wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:09 pm
Saban wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:46 pm
Saban wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:26 pm So, where do you race a horse like Mighty Message? MM was bought for 230K last year. I am sure they don't want to put him in a claiming race, at least not yet. A graded stakes race is apparently out. A (N2X) allowance race probably is too. A 6 figure non-graded stakes race might be good if they can find a soft spot, but where is it? Anyone got any ideas?
Mighty Message is finally entered in a race, sort of (He last raced on 6/9). MM is entered as an also eligible on 7/29 in an allowance (N2X) race at Ellis Park. He is entered if the race is moved from turf to to the main track (MTO). So, if the weather is bad, we may see Mighty Message race again.

Probably a good idea. If it is muddy enough to move the race, then MM might just find the kind of field he could be competitive in.

Racing is not just about the big horses like Mystik Dan, and other classic contenders to me. I also like to root for average or above average horses that catch my attention.
That race was not moved to the main track, so Mighty Message was scratched. So, now what?

One idea might be to try a smaller track, like Horseshoe Indianapolis. I noticed that some of their allowance races have purses of more than $45,000. A race like that would be nice to win, and MM might be competitive there. Well, I am sure that a trainer like Amoss will find the right spot for him.
Mighty Message is entered in a 9F allowance (N2X) 76K race at Ellis Park on 8/12. MM is the only 3 year old in the race. The rest are older and all but one is gelded. Three are in for tags (50K) which I think they needed to be to enter the race. So, is Mighty Message over matched or have his handlers found a good spot? We should find out on the 12th.
barbaro111

Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:12 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:58 pm
barbaro111 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:38 am
Great picture of his beautiful tail https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... double_123
That is a magnificent photo-- beautiful tail!!!!
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:04 pm

Legend of Time Favored in Re-Drawn Saratoga Derby
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... toga-derby

3 of the Saratoga Derby entrants are cross-entered in the Secretariat...which is at Colonial.

Wondering who goes where.. the SD field is smaller this year but still very good.

I'm rooting for First World War wherever he goes. Izzy d'Oro has a cute name and I like the sire.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧