Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

KatieK101

Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:22 pm

I haven’t seen it shared here yet:

Tapit Shoes (Tapit/Awesome Flower) broke her maiden in her second start. Trained by Brad Cox.

She’s a half-sister to MG1W Cyberknife.
KatieK101

Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:04 am

Guren (Union Rags/Purely Hot) breaks her maiden all the way in Japan, I believe in her second start.

Half-sister to MG1W Eight Rings!
Flanders

Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:07 pm

Faiza (Girvin - Sweet Pistol, by Smart Strike) won the G1 Starlet. Her dam is a 1/2 to MGSW Thousand Words and her 2nd dam is MGSW Pomeroy's Pistol.
HB1994

Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:37 pm

2yo c Wigmore Street won nicely on debut at Kempton today. He’s by American Pharoah out of G1W Marylebone.
Missbeholder

Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:31 pm

HB1994 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:37 pm 2yo c Wigmore Street won nicely on debut at Kempton today. He’s by American Pharoah out of G1W Marylebone.
Can anyone give me a typed-out phonetic pronunciation of "Marylebone"? I see her name often in pedigrees. She is obviously an accomplished producer. I just never have been able to figure out how to pronounce her name. I can't even tell for sure how many syllables!

I hope this isn't a stupid question, or I'm going to be embarrassed as heck!!☺️
Flanders

Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:59 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:31 pm
HB1994 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:37 pm 2yo c Wigmore Street won nicely on debut at Kempton today. He’s by American Pharoah out of G1W Marylebone.
Can anyone give me a typed-out phonetic pronunciation of "Marylebone"? I see her name often in pedigrees. She is obviously an accomplished producer. I just never have been able to figure out how to pronounce her name. I can't even tell for sure how many syllables!

Who knows if her name is pronounced right but she is in this race. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGmrYXmiADQ and it was hell finding this replay, it took forever cause there isn't a space in the name after the year. I was like there is no way there isn't a replay of Society Selection winning one of her G1s. I couldn't find a replay of Marylebone's G1 win in the Matron. Also if you google "pronunciation of marylebone" its completely different than what Tom Durkin is saying, but he was usually good with asking connections how horse names are pronounced and the way he says it, is the way I thought it was said. Also I'd try to type it out for you but that was something I deleted from my brain as useless information. ;)
sweettalk

Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:39 pm

and i read it as "MARE - ill - bone" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Missbeholder

Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:47 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:59 pm

Who knows if her name is pronounced right but she is in this race. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGmrYXmiADQ and it was hell finding this replay, it took forever cause there isn't a space in the name after the year. I was like there is no way there isn't a replay of Society Selection winning one of her G1s. I couldn't find a replay of Marylebone's G1 win in the Matron. Also if you google "pronunciation of marylebone" its completely different than what Tom Durkin is saying, but he was usually good with asking connections how horse names are pronounced and the way he says it, is the way I thought it was said. Also I'd try to type it out for you but that was something I deleted from my brain as useless information. ;)
LOL, Flanders! I'm just awfully glad that I'm not the only one who's somewhat puzzled by this one. I'm one who gets very annoyed by how many people can't seem to spell Wayne Lukas's name correctly. So I do have a tendency to over-focus on "useless" information, as you so perfectly put it!😁

Thank you for your efforts to answer my questions, not just now but in the past as well. It's so much appreciated!!
mariasmon

Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:13 am

I've always heard the Marylebone area of London pronounced marley-bone. And someone I know who worked at Coolmore when she was there called her Marley as a nickname, for whatever that's worth.
Slewfan2

Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:28 am

mariasmon wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:13 am I've always heard the Marylebone area of London pronounced marley-bone. And someone I know who worked at Coolmore when she was there called her Marley as a nickname, for whatever that's worth.
Apparently even Londoners can’t agree, lol. It’s generally pronounced Marley-bone or Marley-bun. A 1968 Pathe. newsreel pronounced it Ma-ruh-luh-bun

More, from a blog I found:

Marralabone or Marrylabone. Hope that helps. I used to work in Marylebone High Street, so that's what we all called it at the BBC.

In any case, despite it being named after a church named St. Mary’s by the Bourne, it’s never Mary
mariasmon

Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:32 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:28 am
mariasmon wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:13 am I've always heard the Marylebone area of London pronounced marley-bone. And someone I know who worked at Coolmore when she was there called her Marley as a nickname, for whatever that's worth.
Apparently even Londoners can’t agree, lol. It’s generally pronounced Marley-bone or Marley-bun. A 1968 Pathe. newsreel pronounced it Ma-ruh-luh-bun

Marralabone or Marrylabone. Hope that helps. I used to work in Marylebone High Street, so that's what we all called it at the BBC.

In any case, despite it being named after a church named St. Mary’s by the Bourne, it’s never Mary
Maybe we need to ask Michael Tabor how HE pronounces it 🤣
Izvestia

Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:42 am

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:47 pm
Flanders wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:59 pm

LOL, Flanders! I'm just awfully glad that I'm not the only one who's somewhat puzzled by this one. I'm one who gets very annoyed by how many people can't seem to spell Wayne Lukas's name correctly. So I do have a tendency to over-focus on "useless" information, as you so perfectly put it!😁

Thank you for your efforts to answer my questions, not just now but in the past as well. It's so much appreciated!!
That was a good field!
Slewfan2

Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:19 am

mariasmon wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:32 am
Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:28 am

Maybe we need to ask Michael Tabor how HE pronounces it 🤣
Go right to the horse’s mouth, lol - good idea! I’ve no idea how to contact him, though. I have some British on-lone friends...I’ll ask them
starrydreamer

Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:24 am

Not sure if Durkin called all her races or not, but pretty sure she was always announced as marley-bone. That's how I say it in my head too.
KatieK101

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 pm

Just curious, does anyone know is Bijjlee has made her first start? I thought I saw an article saying that she was ready to debut a while back but I can't find that article, or an update, or anything about her, really.

2YO filly by War Front, out of G1W Dancing Rags. She was purchased this year by Satish Seemar for a little over $300k.
Missbeholder

Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:18 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:24 am
Not sure if Durkin called all her races or not, but pretty sure she was always announced as marley-bone. That's how I say it in my head too.
Wow! I set off a little discussion here! Like I said, I was afraid that it was just some simple little pronunciation thing and that I was going to end up looking like a dumb-a**! Thanks for all the responses to mycquestion, even though we couldn't come up with a definitive answer.☺️

starrydreamer, you said that you've always said "Marley-bone" in your head. Well, so have I. And that's what it will be for me until someone who's connected to the mare advises me otherwise!😇
WarBiscuit

Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:14 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:18 pm
starrydreamer wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:24 am
Wow! I set off a little discussion here! Like I said, I was afraid that it was just some simple little pronunciation thing and that I was going to end up looking like a dumb-a**! Thanks for all the responses to mycquestion, even though we couldn't come up with a definitive answer.☺️

starrydreamer, you said that you've always said "Marley-bone" in your head. Well, so have I. And that's what it will be for me until someone who's connected to the mare advises me otherwise!😇
Tiz indeed "Marley-bone". Made many a pilgrimage there in the 1980's while researching the ancestry of the great conductor, Leopold Stokowski (of Disney's Fantasia, Philadelphia Orchestra and husband of Gloria Vanderbilt fame). Never heard any of the locals pronounce it otherwise. Incidentally, Stokowski would have been the last person to pronounce it correctly. Although born in the Marleybone district of London, he spoke with an accent completely alien and undetectable to anything else on the planet and had a rather bizarre propensity to leave out articles in his speech. Perhaps the greatest orchestral conductor ever - and a solid gold character - the likes of which have not been seen in the classical music world since.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Starine

Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:33 pm

Strobe has massive talent edge in allowance sprint
https://www.drf.com/news/strobe-has-mas ... nce-sprint

Into Mischief x Flashing
KatieK101

Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:39 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 pm Just curious, does anyone know is Bijjlee has made her first start? I thought I saw an article saying that she was ready to debut a while back but I can't find that article, or an update, or anything about her, really.

2YO filly by War Front, out of G1W Dancing Rags. She was purchased this year by Satish Seemar for a little over $300k.
Did some more digging, and Bijjlee finished third in her debut at Meydan.
Squeaky

Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:45 pm

Starine wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:33 pm Strobe has massive talent edge in allowance sprint
https://www.drf.com/news/strobe-has-mas ... nce-sprint

Into Mischief x Flashing
Won nicely in fast time with class drop