Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

katmandu

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Snap Decision (Hard Spun/Salute/Personal Ensign) won the Jonathan Kiser Novice Stakes (hurdles) today at the Spa.
Diver52

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:56 pm

katmandu wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:57 pm Snap Decision (Hard Spun/Salute/Personal Ensign) won the Jonathan Kiser Novice Stakes (hurdles) today at the Spa.
Wow, what a pedigree!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
ThreeMustangs

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:35 pm

Results of the first race at Leopardstown today (a 2yo f maiden)

1. Nicest: American Pharoah out of Irish Oaks winner Chicquita (a €6M purchase at Goffs)
2. Talacre: a Flintshire half-sister to Siskin
3. Willow: American Pharoah out of Irish/Yorkshire Oaks winner Peeping Fawn
Starine

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:59 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:35 pm Results of the first race at Leopardstown today (a 2yo f maiden)

1. Nicest: American Pharoah out of Irish Oaks winner Chicquita (a €6M purchase at Goffs)
WOW.
Northport

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:20 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:35 pm Results of the first race at Leopardstown today (a 2yo f maiden)

Am I misremembering or is Donnacha O'Brien getting wayyyyy nicer Coolmore horses than Joseph did when he started out? I can't remember Joseph training more than a handful throughout his short (and very successful) career, and I think most ended up getting sold to JP McManus to race over jumps. He also has good support in Lloyd Williams and Chantal Regalado-Gonzalez, so it's not like he's slumming it, it's just kind of curious.

They're both talented horsemen and are undoubtedly champion trainers in waiting (once their father retires!) but it seems like Coolmore is investing really heavily in Donnacha.
weeeeeeeee
ThreeMustangs

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:39 am

Barbara Livingston @DRFLivingston
Photographed last week here at Saratoga, unnamed 2-year-old colts by Liam's Map-Receipt (left) and Tapit-Rags to Riches (rail).

This very nicely-bred duo is in training at Saratoga with trainer Todd Pletcher.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdpUaocXkAU ... ame=medium

(Receipt is out of Finder’s Fee)
mariasmon

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 am

Is it weird to say the Rags colt looks exactly like her even though he's grey?
Slewfan2

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am

mariasmon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 am Is it weird to say the Rags colt looks exactly like her even though he's grey?
I love seeing blazes on gray horses, lol

It’s kind of intense inbreeding to AP Indy, but I’m just so glad they’ve started to breed Rags to truly dirt sires...
luvsgeldings

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:43 pm

aww loved seeing the pix of the two year olds on the track at saratoga - and most especially the Rags to Riches baby.... loved that babies mama so much - such a shame she was injured and never ran again - she was really something special to see when she ran here in SoCal. and her Belmont.... just one of the greatest races ever.
Slewfan2

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:48 pm

luvsgeldings wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:43 pm aww loved seeing the pix of the two year olds on the track at saratoga - and most especially the Rags to Riches baby.... loved that babies mama so much - such a shame she was injured and never ran again - she was really something special to see when she ran here in SoCal. and her Belmont.... just one of the greatest races ever.
I adore Rags, she was so good..........but, we may be in the minority as many think she's overrated.
luvsgeldings

Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 pm

well i wish she had gotten to run longer - her career was much too short - she sure had some kind of stamina - so many of her races she went wide on that final turn - big sweeping runs she would make - i think she would have gotten even better if she would have stayed healthy - it would have been such fun to watch her run as a 4 year old - - i am glad she will always be remembered for that Belmont - but... such a huge shame her time on the track was so short.
Curtis

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:12 pm

Rags to Riches had a nice, long stride that she could repeat again and again and again. As things fluctuated around her she would move up and keep going. Union Rags was like that and I see that in Honor AP. The trick with these types is to get them into that repeatable stride and don’t let anything get in their way. Their biggest weapon is that consistent stride. Horses like this can be misunderstood because they don’t flash a huge turn of foot. Doesn’t matter how you get there though just as long as you get there.
Slewfan2

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:18 pm

Curtis wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:12 pm Rags to Riches had a nice, long stride that she could repeat again and again and again. As things fluctuated around her she would move up and keep going. Union Rags was like that and I see that in Honor AP. The trick with these types is to get them into that repeatable stride and don’t let anything get in their way. Their biggest weapon is that consistent stride. Horses like this can be misunderstood because they don’t flash a huge turn of foot. Doesn’t matter how you get there though just as long as you get there.
I guess I’m confused about HAP, because when he was asked in his debut he made a very powerful, extended rally...he also made those sweeping moves in his other races except his maiden win (wire to wire). To me, he’s got a very good turn of foot: he’s by no means a plodder or even a grinder who just runs one paced throughout. IMO, he hasn’t run often enough to decide he’s already the kind of horse who can’t overcome trouble. I think people assume a lot because of his size, but I’ll bet he’ll surprise some who think he’s just big and clunky.

I SO want him to run at Belmont one day...

I have a need to watch Rags’ Belmont again...
Curtis

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:18 pm
Curtis wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:12 pm Rags to Riches had a nice, long stride that she could repeat again and again and again. As things fluctuated around her she would move up and keep going. Union Rags was like that and I see that in Honor AP. The trick with these types is to get them into that repeatable stride and don’t let anything get in their way. Their biggest weapon is that consistent stride. Horses like this can be misunderstood because they don’t flash a huge turn of foot. Doesn’t matter how you get there though just as long as you get there.
I guess I’m confused about HAP, because when he was asked in his debut he made a very powerful, extended rally...he also made those sweeping moves in his other races except his maiden win (wire to wire). To me, he’s got a very good turn of foot: he’s by no means a plodder or even a grinder who just runs one paced throughout. IMO, he hasn’t run often enough to decide he’s already the kind of horse who can’t overcome trouble. I think people assume a lot because of his size, but I’ll bet he’ll surprise some who think he’s just big and clunky.
Competition has a lot to do with that. In a big field of top horses, I wouldn’t want to see him have to quickly accelerate to get through a shifting hole. But you’re right, it’s a small sample size. That’s why I asked a while back whether horses came back to him or were overextended, distance wise, or he ran by them. It can be seen either way. The way Authentic ran Saturday didn’t really clarify things and he is the common denominator.
KatieK101

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:42 pm

what are the odds I ever get a Union Rags/Rags to Riches baby? Not only because they're two of my favorites, but also, the names :lol: unfortunately the resulting foal would likely be named Rags to Rags, or something else equally dull.
Diver52

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:47 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:42 pm
what are the odds I ever get a Union Rags/Rags to Riches baby? Not only because they're two of my favorites, but also, the names :lol: unfortunately the resulting foal would likely be named Rags to Rags, or something else equally dull.
I would actually like Rags to Rags better than Union Riches or Rich Union!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
KatieK101

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Diver52 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:47 pm
Funny enough, I actually think he already has two offspring named Rags to Rags and Union Riches! :lol:
Curtis

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:03 pm

Diver52 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:47 pm
I remember trying to talk the owners of Possibly Perfect into sending her to Pleasantly Perfect. Would the result have been Possibly Pleasant?
luvsgeldings

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:18 pm

slewfan.... i know what you mean - i watch a replay of that Rags Belmont a couple of times a year - we saw her run here in SoCal and when she ran in KY and NY we were cheering for her like crazy - but that Belmont.... its not just that she went down to her nose at the start - but she was wide on both turns - very wide on the home turn - and then... after all of this, she still had to duel with Curlin down the stretch - and she was just not going to let him get by her - it was an amazing performance of guts and stamina on her part - such heart, she was so brave - she ran well over 1 1/2 that day - a beautiful race that i enjoy watching again and again too!!
Slewfan2

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Curtis wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:18 pm
Competition has a lot to do with that. In a big field of top horses, I wouldn’t want to see him have to quickly accelerate to get through a shifting hole. But you’re right, it’s a small sample size. That’s why I asked a while back whether horses came back to him or were overextended, distance wise, or he ran by them. It can be seen either way. The way Authentic ran Saturday didn’t really clarify things and he is the common denominator.
Certainly smaller horses have it easier that way, but I think he’s pretty agile for his size. One of these days we’re likely to find out just how much....maybe in the Derby, maybe not; his career will tell...

I think you can ask that question of any horse who closes ground, but I believe it’s more about HAP accelerating than his competition slowing down. I think if he were just passing tiring horses, the racing media wouldn’t have been so high on him after his debut. I know for sure in his maiden win that he ran his last furlong faster than his previous one...12.61, which is quite good. In the SA Derby, off a 3 month layoff and never having been 1 1/8, he finished up in 12.87 ...solid. I can’t figure out based on his two losses what his final fractions were.

I would love to see Rags bred to Curlin - Curlin does very well with Indy mares.