Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

Curtis

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:'Chrome's little brother Faversham just took the 5th at Santa Anita in fine fashion, with a very good kick to pass the leaders and pull away to win by open lengths. Looks like the grass is his future.
Yeah, I wanted to use him today but just couldn’t, in fact I passed the race completely. Nice win though, if he develops more, he might be up to those CA bred turf stakes next year.
stark

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 pm

stark wrote:Santa Anita 5th today
Flaversham 12/1

After 5 tries with Stuart Elliot aboard, Tiago Periera takes over the reins today.
Back to the turf today after just one failed attempt two back.
Takes off the blinkers that didn't work the last 3 times.
Back in with Cal-Breds today.
Trainer is currently on a 2/40 streak.
Been working well at LosAlamitos, maybe he should wait a week for that meet?

If he drifts up to 20-1 or so, worth a small play just because of the changes?
23-1 at post time
17-1 when the gates opened.
I'll take it, thank you very much!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:44 pm

stark wrote:
stark wrote:Santa Anita 5th today
Flaversham 12/1

After 5 tries with Stuart Elliot aboard, Tiago Periera takes over the reins today.
Back to the turf today after just one failed attempt two back.
Takes off the blinkers that didn't work the last 3 times.
Back in with Cal-Breds today.
Trainer is currently on a 2/40 streak.
Been working well at LosAlamitos, maybe he should wait a week for that meet?

If he drifts up to 20-1 or so, worth a small play just because of the changes?
23-1 at post time
17-1 when the gates opened.
I'll take it, thank you very much!
Like you, I wanted 20-1 or better. He showed as 17-1 on the feed, I was watching as they were loading. I guess that could have been deemed close enough but I can be a bit stubborn.
Katewerk

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:'Chrome's little brother Faversham just took the 5th at Santa Anita in fine fashion, with a very good kick to pass the leaders and pull away to win by open lengths. Looks like the grass is his future.
We were touristing at Santa Anita for an hour or so this afternoon, and were at the paddock where my friend took this quick snap when we overheard he was in that race, Stayed for the race, but didn't bet ... darn it all.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5BBE4AF8
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm

California Chrome's Brother Faversham Breaks Maiden
Put in a call to trainer Art Sherman and you still hear the longing, although more than a year has passed.

"It's been kind of quiet since Chrome left," Sherman said. "I still miss him."

June 21 brought relief for the octogenarian who conditioned two-time Horse of the Year California Chrome through a once-in-a-lifetime career from 2013-2017, as the Lucky Pulpit runner's full brother, Faversham, finally found his sweet spot at Santa Anita Park.

In his fifth start for Sherman, Perry and Denise Martin's sophomore runner got the monkey off his back in a $59,000 maiden special weight for California-breds, when he rallied to a 3 1/4-length victory going a mile on the Santa Anita lawn. Faversham was sent off Thursday at odds of 17-1, but there were times in the chestnut ridgling's career when Sherman would have made the odds even longer for him to ever find the winner's circle.

"You don't know what I went through with this horse," the trainer said. "After being around his brother (and) training his brother, it's hard to compare them. Attitude, build—there's no real comparison. He's not a real good eater. I have to baby him along, feeding him this and that. ... With Chrome you could do anything."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... aks-maiden
Katewerk

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Ha. That was remark when I saw him in the paddock. "Looks like he doesn't like to eat".
Starine

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 pm

mariasmon wrote:Osare (Medaglia d'Oro), Arrogate's 3YO 1/2 sister, broke her maiden today at BEL.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... at-belmont
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:California Chrome's Brother Faversham Breaks Maiden
Put in a call to trainer Art Sherman and you still hear the longing, although more than a year has passed.

"It's been kind of quiet since Chrome left," Sherman said. "I still miss him."

June 21 brought relief for the octogenarian who conditioned two-time Horse of the Year California Chrome through a once-in-a-lifetime career from 2013-2017, as the Lucky Pulpit runner's full brother, Faversham, finally found his sweet spot at Santa Anita Park.

In his fifth start for Sherman, Perry and Denise Martin's sophomore runner got the monkey off his back in a $59,000 maiden special weight for California-breds, when he rallied to a 3 1/4-length victory going a mile on the Santa Anita lawn. Faversham was sent off Thursday at odds of 17-1, but there were times in the chestnut ridgling's career when Sherman would have made the odds even longer for him to ever find the winner's circle.

"You don't know what I went through with this horse," the trainer said. "After being around his brother (and) training his brother, it's hard to compare them. Attitude, build—there's no real comparison. He's not a real good eater. I have to baby him along, feeding him this and that. ... With Chrome you could do anything."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... aks-maiden
Nice, determined win for Faversham. Watched the video replay a couple of times and don't know if it's the turf course at Santa Anita or what, but Fav's stride seemed a little choppy until late when he really turned it on. Art says Fav is not a great eater, and I think you can see it in his build. He's a bit light bodied and not as muscled as I remember Chrome being at 3. But considering the bad luck he's had and loss of confidence that Art described, Fav showed some promise today.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Faversham considers Oceanside Stakes after maiden win
Faversham, a full brother to popular two-time Horse of the Year California Chrome, won for the first time in his career in a maiden race for California-breds on turf Thursday at Santa Anita.

The win left trainer Art Sherman tentatively planning a start in the $100,000 Oceanside Stakes for 3-year-olds on turf July 18 at Del Mar.
More: http://www.drf.com/news/faversham-consi ... nable=true
lurkey mclurker

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 pm

@Frankel1313
3 Deep Impact newcomers this Saturday @LongBallToNoOne All 3 running in the same race at Tokyo.

So the first one is called MI DIOSA (Deep Impact x Mi Sueno), this is a 2 year-old half sister to Group winner Mi Suerte (Frankel). Words have been very good about her.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:41 pm

G @LongBallToNoOne

REPLAY:
Beautifully bred ¥270,000,000 2014 Select sale topper ADMIRE AZERI (Deep Impact x Azeri (USA)) won at Hanshin over 2200m today. Career now 9: 2-1-3. Furthest he has run. Hit the line well #stayer
#AZERI #DEEPIMPACT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mqZw4JbBDw
Treve

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Dark Prince, a 2yo Colt by Cairo Prince out of a Malibu Moon mare (outcross pedigree no inbreeding in the first 5 gens) will be CP's first male starter this Friday at Los Alamitos in the 3rd. He's trained by Baffert.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Squeaky

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:22 pm

I did not see his name in entries there. Race 3 a cheap claiming race for fillies and mares.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:36 pm

:? I see that DRF's Entries for Friday at Los Al shows Dark Prince in the 3rd race, a 5-furlong MSW for two-year-olds.
Flanders

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Squeaky wrote:I did not see his name in entries there. Race 3 a cheap claiming race for fillies and mares.
You looked at race 3 for Quarter Horses not Thoroughbreds.
Squeaky

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks I clicked on the wrong Los Al link. I noticed Instagrand a 1.2 million dollar 2yo in training is running for Hollendorfer as the favorite. Is E. Roman a jockey Bob used regularly?
Diver52

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:55 pm

I don't think I've ever seen Ervin ride for Baffert.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Squeaky

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:42 am

St Patrick’s Day, full brother to American Pharaoh, trying again in a race at the Curraugh in Ireland on Sat. at 3:25 pm EST. Third time the charm?
Treve

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Squeaky wrote:St Patrick’s Day, full brother to American Pharaoh, trying again in a race at the Curraugh in Ireland on Sat. at 3:25 pm EST. Third time the charm?
I thought he only had one previous attempt with that gate incident. He already broke his maiden last year.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
ThreeMustangs

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Solid Dream (2015 c, Frankel - Danedream) makes his debut in Japan at Chukyo tomorrow.