Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm the Reason is entered to run on April 13, 2017, at OAKLAWN PARK.

I'm the Reason finished 9th, I think. :(
The impressive winner was Marcy Darcy (Smart Strike - Hot Dixie Chick).
Sparrow Castle

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm the Reason is entered to run on April 13, 2017, at OAKLAWN PARK.

I'm the Reason finished 9th, I think. :(
The impressive winner was Marcy Darcy (Smart Strike - Hot Dixie Chick).
Yep, 9th beaten by 21 lengths. The chart:
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 7USA10.pdf
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:36 pm

So...what happens if I'm the Reason can't run a step, or at least is not competitive above a modest claiming level? Do you keep trying to find her level, or do you retire her to a breeding farm?
I know this was only her second race, so I suspect that Van Berg will try again with her. However, she's already four, so I would think that she's shown what she is by now.
It's disappointing...I loved Blind Luck. That little chestnut with the high-flying tail and the big kick was a favorite of mine. Hopefully, this is a case of talent skipping a generation, and I'm the Reason turns out to be a successful broodmare. :P
Sparrow Castle

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:06 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:So...what happens if I'm the Reason can't run a step, or at least is not competitive above a modest claiming level? Do you keep trying to find her level, or do you retire her to a breeding farm?
I know this was only her second race, so I suspect that Van Berg will try again with her. However, she's already four, so I would think that she's shown what she is by now.
It's disappointing...I loved Blind Luck. That little chestnut with the high-flying tail and the big kick was a favorite of mine. Hopefully, this is a case of talent skipping a generation, and I'm the Reason turns out to be a successful broodmare. :P
It's always been Dr. Mark's plan to breed her. I'd like to see her get another race, even though she didn't show much here. But the meet at Oaklawn is coming to an end I think this weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the plug on her racing career. I'd like to hear Jack's thoughts on the race.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:02 pm

mariasmon wrote:Gold Serenade (MDO/Serena's Song) tries on Friday for the 3rd time to break her maiden, R6 at KEE, 8.5F dirt.
Gold Serenade finished 8th beaten by 29 1/2 lengths, on April 14, 2017, at KEENELAND in Race 6.
Off odds: 48.90
Your comments for this horse were: 2014 Medaglia d'Oro - Serena's Song, by Rahy
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 17USA6.pdf
katmandu

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:So...what happens if I'm the Reason can't run a step, or at least is not competitive above a modest claiming level? Do you keep trying to find her level, or do you retire her to a breeding farm?
It's always been Dr. Mark's plan to breed her. I'd like to see her get another race, even though she didn't show much here. But the meet at Oaklawn is coming to an end I think this weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the plug on her racing career. I'd like to hear Jack's thoughts on the race.
Has anyone seen the race? Did something happen to possibly explain the results?

JvB was interviewed on XBTV about her, he describes her as pretty talented with a very good finish in her works.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 pm

katmandu wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Has anyone seen the race? Did something happen to possibly explain the results?

JvB was interviewed on XBTV about her, he describes her as pretty talented with a very good finish in her works.
I watched the race several times looking for a reason why she did so bad. I just couldn't see anything. I thought she just didn't fire. In retrospect, this girl has been in training for a very long time without making a start. I suppose it's possible she just doesn't understand the whole concept yet? Dunno, guess we'll see if they move her to another track or to the breeding farm.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... cers=false
Starine

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:45 pm

American Patriot, by War Front, won the Maker's 46 Mile (gr. IT). His dam is a full sister to Well Armed.
mariasmon

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 pm

mariasmon wrote:Gold Serenade (MDO/Serena's Song) tries on Friday for the 3rd time to break her maiden, R6 at KEE, 8.5F dirt.
Well, there's still time to breed her this year.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:03 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Well, there's still time to breed her this year.
Yep, both of them!
ThreeMustangs

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Champion Zagora's first foal, the 3yo Frankel colt Oshayger, makes his debut at Chantilly tomorrow.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... 0newcomers
Starine

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Dickinson, by Medaglia d'Oro, outran Lady Eli in the Jenny Wiley (gr. IT). She's out of Ashland winner Little Belle.
Starine

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Al Ain, by Deep Impact out of champion sprinter Dubai Majesty, just won the Satsuki Sho (Japanese 2,000 Guineas).
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:57 pm

That was a strong performance and I look for this colt to do big things this year.
The filly Fan Dii Na was really worked up before the race, and that may have diminished her ability to accelerate in the stretch. Wonder if she'll be back with her own gender next out.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That was a strong performance and I look for this colt to do big things this year.
The filly Fan Dii Na was really worked up before the race, and that may have diminished her ability to accelerate in the stretch. Wonder if she'll be back with her own gender next out.
She's supposed to run in the Oaks next. 8-)
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Ziconic is even money in the 6th at Santa Anita. :shock:
The power of sentiment, I guess. I want the colt to win, but I don't think I'd wager my money on him...unless it's just to have a souvenir ticket?
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Third. He broke as slowly as an Irish Cob and was SOOOO far back that the camera had a hard time keeping him in frame.
He made a nice, long sustained run to pass horses and get even with most of the field in the stretch, but just couldn't find enough kick to get past the front two. Close, but no maiden-breaking cigar.
Someone needs to explain to the colt that his legs aren't as long as his mom's. This running style just doesn't work for him. :roll:
Life At Zen

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:54 pm

They really need to get him out of the gate faster. They're leaving him with way too much ground to make up at the end.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Maybe John needs to bring in Wesley Ward to give the colt a clinic on how to break sharply? :lol:
firehorse

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:00 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Third. He broke as slowly as an Irish Cob and was SOOOO far back that the camera had a hard time keeping him in frame.
He made a nice, long sustained run to pass horses and get even with most of the field in the stretch, but just couldn't find enough kick to get past the front two. Close, but no maiden-breaking cigar.
Someone needs to explain to the colt that his legs aren't as long as his mom's. This running style just doesn't work for him. :roll:
Thought he had a good rhythm and a chance - gonna wait for the head on, but was awfully wide and seemed to quit with a little contact with the inside horse (?) - also seemed to resent the whip, wonder if they change jockeys, go back to dirt or just retire him - I would assume the Mosses would at least support both of them with their own mares to give them a chance (I don't see them gelding them without trying them at stud first).