Across the pond

Starine

Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:30 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:23 pm
Starine wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:18 pm What time is City of Troy's track record?
2:04.32. I believe Sea The Stars had it at 2:05.29(this is a guess since they said it was almost a second taken off the record).
Thank you. There is a lot of talk of City of Troy going to the Classic, but I would love to see Auguste Rodin give it a crack as well though it seems he is more likely for the Japan Cup.
HB1994

Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:13 pm

Starine wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:18 pm What time is City of Troy's track record?
2:04.32. I believe Sea The Stars had it at 2:05.29(this is a guess since they said it was almost a second taken off the record).
2:05.29 is correct.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/107/ ... -18/485577

Apparently, there was a very strong tailwind today in the homestretch, but wouldn’t that mean there was a headwind on other parts of the course?
Flanders

Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:29 pm

HB1994 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:13 pm
2:05.29 is correct.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/107/ ... -18/485577

Apparently, there was a very strong tailwind today in the homestretch, but wouldn’t that mean there was a headwind on other parts of the course?
You would think so.

Real question, what is a very strong tailwind? I've seen numerous clips and the leaves on the trees are barely moving. No one seems worried about losing their fancy hats. Did Coolmore pay the racing gods to have the wind only follow the horse around the course? :lol:
Tessablue

Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:28 pm

It looks like the course today was fast, but not that fast. I'm afraid to invoke flashbacks of the Frankel time drama we had on here, though ;)

Looked like a really strong effort. Is he still coming to the Classic?
Flanders

Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:48 pm

Tessablue wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:28 pm It looks like the course today was fast, but not that fast. I'm afraid to invoke flashbacks of the Frankel time drama we had on here, though ;)

Looked like a really strong effort. Is he still coming to the Classic?
Aidan said this:
"The lads can do whatever they want but we always dreamed that he would be a Classic horse," the trainer said. "He stays, he's tough, we're hoping the lads may go to the Classic with him, that would be some dream for him."
Tessablue

Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:06 am

Something tells me the lads will be just fine with it. Neat! I think he'll be seriously up against it, but it'll make for a fun leadup to the race.
Northport

Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:15 am

Man, I hope he comes over. Him breaking relatively quickly and leading from pillar to post in the International also doesnt hurt his chances of handling American style racing.

However, for some reason, I just feel like they’ll find an excuse to not bring him. I know theyve sent over good horses like Gleneagles and Churchill in recent years, but it’s been a very long time since they sent a superstar like Giant’s Causeway or Galileo. I feel like he’ll run in the Irish Champion Stakes and then “have a setback”
weeeeeeeee
Tessablue

Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:10 am

I think the allure of Justify’s stud fee might prove the deciding factor here. They can hand wave a loss as “well it was on dirt” without impacting this horse’s value, but it would be an enormous boost to Justify’s career.

His speed is really interesting, and I could see it going either way. It means he’s less likely to experience kickback, but encountering “real” speed for the first time has broken many a heart in American racing. My main concern is his dam side, though. There just isn’t a single speck of dirt down there, and I don’t know if Justify is enough to haul a Sadler’s Wells descendent to the Classic finish line, especially in a year as deep as this one figures to be.
tachyon

Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:42 am

Tessablue wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:10 am I think the allure of Justify’s stud fee might prove the deciding factor here. They can hand wave a loss as “well it was on dirt” without impacting this horse’s value, but it would be an enormous boost to Justify’s career.

His speed is really interesting, and I could see it going either way. It means he’s less likely to experience kickback, but encountering “real” speed for the first time has broken many a heart in American racing. My main concern is his dam side, though. There just isn’t a single speck of dirt down there, and I don’t know if Justify is enough to haul a Sadler’s Wells descendent to the Classic finish line, especially in a year as deep as this one figures to be.
I agree 100% with you!!
I guess that City of Troy will run in the Classic as long as he is fine, because he has absolutely nothing to lose at Del Mar.
I really liked the way he won the International Stakes yesterday.
He has at least the power and the stamina to cover 10F upfront, even if no one knows if he can love the dirt.
Eohippus

Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:13 am

Tessablue wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:10 am I think the allure of Justify’s stud fee might prove the deciding factor here. They can hand wave a loss as “well it was on dirt” without impacting this horse’s value, but it would be an enormous boost to Justify’s career.

Does Justify really need a boost? I feel I’m watching the rise of the greatest sire of all time
Tessablue

Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:17 pm

Eohippus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:13 am

Does Justify really need a boost? I feel I’m watching the rise of the greatest sire of all time
Yes, definitely. He has not had any real Classic dirt performers, and a BC Classic would be a gigantic boost to his reputation as a dirt sire whose horses can perform at the highest level. He's still of course getting a ton of attention and mares, but remove any doubts about dirt and the sky's the limit.
Flanders

Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:57 pm

Resolute bought 75% interest in Goliath.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... er-goliath
Northport

Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:02 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:57 pm Resolute bought 75% interest in Goliath.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... er-goliath
Bloodhorse needs to fire their factchecker. Goliath can’t run in the Arc.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:05 pm

HOW could a long-time horse racing site be so wrong? :shock:
No geldings in the Arc is something even amateurs like myself know.
Flanders

Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:25 pm

I don't think they employ factcheckers.
Izvestia

Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Good grief, people are going insane.
Northport

Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:09 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:25 pm I don't think they employ factcheckers.
I was joking. There’s probably only two dozen horse racing journalists on the globe that can make an honest living doing it full time. None of these publications are hiring factcheckers.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:16 am

Northport wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:09 pm
Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:25 pm I don't think they employ factcheckers.
I was joking. There’s probably only two dozen horse racing journalists on the globe that can make an honest living doing it full time. None of these publications are hiring factcheckers.
They did fix it. and changed it to Champions Stakes. ;)
Eohippus

Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:35 am

Izvestia wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Good grief, people are going insane.
Why do you say that?
Izvestia

Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:21 am

As an example of current stallions - Gun Runner has 4 less offspring (seriously and he’s been at stud one year longer) - has higher win percentage, black type win percentage, avg earnings per starter, AEI… etc.

Coolmore hype machine has been touting him as the greatest.

Northern Dancer, Mr Prospector, even Storm Cat, Tapit and Into Mischief, say “are you sure?”.