Breeders Cup 2021 @ Del Mar

Tessablue

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:24 pm

Why was he removed from the wagering in the first place, though? I don't think any officials have answered that yet. And was he actually removed? Why was he still eligible to bet on through ADW venues?
katmandu

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:26 pm

http://chrb.ca.gov/query_rules_and_regu ... ument=1974

" If a horse is removed from the wagering pool due to a totalizator error, or due to any other error, and neither the trainer nor the owner is at fault, the horse shall start in the race as a non-wagering interest for the purse only and shall be disregarded for pari-mutuel purposes."

Yup, "WHY" is the question. Does the answer have to make sense?
Last edited by katmandu on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Palace Malice

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:28 pm

Falinadin wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:10 pm The jockey seemed to indicate in the brief post-race interview that the confusion may have been with the gate. The gate crew member with him manually opened the gate so that Modern Games could get away from the horse next to him, but possibly other people thought he broke though, which may be an automatic scratch.
I think you're right.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:48 am

Per Privman, apparently hidden in the charts for the Turf Sprint and Juvenile Fillies Turf is the fact that both race times were "revised after data review." So, things were really firing on all cylinders today.

To get back to the major point at hand, as posted by Flanders in another thread: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... kerfuffle/
-The CHRB statement basically says that Modern Games started it by rearing in the gate, which, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has found any proof of anywhere.
-Modern Games was released from the gate to provide space for Albahr
-The veterinarians behind the gate auto-scratched him before even looking at him because they thought he had broken through the gate. The CHRB announcement describes this as an "initial observation" even though it occurred before the horse was brought back around by the jockey.
-There is no CHRB rule which states that horses who have broken through the gate are auto-scratches.
-People were rushed and panicking because of the delay, which involved an injury to a gate worker whose name and condition the CHRB seemingly does not know.
-They then realized the horse was fine, but CHRB rules said he could not return to the pool and the executive director of the CHRB "doesn't think" it would have been possible to put him back in (even though pools were set for horizontal wagers)
-The BC has declared "talk to the CHRB, it wasn't us, don't look at us"
-The tote board at Del Mar still displayed Modern Games as having a wagering pool even hours after the event (per Paulick's Twitter)
-Nobody knows why (per Paulick's Twitter)
-Unmentioned in the article is the fact that he was not actually taken out of AWD wagering pools until after he was announced as purse-money-only
-I'm going to guess that nobody knows why.

Truly a breathtaking display.
Last edited by Tessablue on Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:00 am

Paulick has a Twitter round-up of reactions from various industry folks. :shock:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... -screw-up/
I think my favorite is Joe Nevills', at the bottom of the page. :roll:
Tessablue

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:27 am

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
More information, in which the CHRB appears to volley blame back at the BC for having "too many cooks in the kitchen." Instead of unpacking this stirring rendition of Godzilla vs. Mothra, I want to focus in on this particular quote:
Chaney said one other option for the stewards would have been to not allow the horse to run at all—a traditional scratch. Asked if they could have made an announcement that the horse had been returned to wagering pools and allowed some time to give bettors a chance to update their bets, Chaney did not deny that was an option but added that with the sun going down in Del Mar it may have been too dark to have any further delay.
It was 18 minutes. They don't have 20 minutes of sunlight as a buffer at the end of the event? Has anyone involved ever, I don't know, watched a race card? Two lost shoes and you're scrambling to get it in under the wire, let alone a situation like this.

Anyways, the only thing I'm now interested in gambling on is whether we'll see any other unforced errors tomorrow. Some early possibilities:

-There's a late scratch, but the vet radios up the wrong number and nobody notices until the race is over.
-Through an unlikely and hilarious series of errors, every #3 horse on the card is accidentally and irrevocably scratched at the same time.
-The CHRB finds and implements an arcane-but-technically-valid rule which states that it's actually illegal to pay out superfectas.
-A gate malfunction gives the field a ten-length head start over Jackie's Warrior. He wins anyways, but is then declared a non-starter.
-Channel Maker wins by open lengths but is immediately disqualified when someone discovers that giraffes are ineligible for Breeders' Cup races.
-Hot Rod Charlie gets loose on the walk over and gallops around the racetrack for exactly 19 minutes. The Classic is canceled.
Gemini

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:50 am

The whole mess with the Juvenile Turf may never be fully explained. But... It was stated that Albahr had previous issues with the starting gate. Was there anything that could've been done differently? After this debacle, will he need to pass a gate test in order to race again?
stark

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 am

Twilight Gleaming - 84
Echo Zulu - 94
Pizza Bianca - 79
Corniche - 91
Modern Games - 87.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Squeaky

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:55 am

Gemini wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:50 am The whole mess with the Juvenile Turf may never be fully explained. But... It was stated that Albahr had previous issues with the starting gate. Was there anything that could've been done differently? After this debacle, will he need to pass a gate test in order to race again?
I don’t think they should leave a horse in the gate with a blindfold on. Wasn’t there another incident where the horse broke through the gate and ran down the track while blindfolded?
stark

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:16 am

What if the race was at one of those venues that doesn't utilize assistant starters inside the gate?

Hope he recovers okay!
stark

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:43 am

Express Train scratched from @BreedersCup Classic. Shirreffs said he kicked hock schooling and it “didn’t come around quickly.” Minor swelling, no fracture.
Slewfan2

Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:33 pm

Wow, I’m sorry for CRK - they’re really terrific people. I feel sorry for any connections who get so close only to have to scratch....
Izvestia

Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:44 pm

stark wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:43 am Express Train scratched from @BreedersCup Classic. Shirreffs said he kicked hock schooling and it “didn’t come around quickly.” Minor swelling, no fracture.
Glad it’s not fractured. Any word on whether he’s to race again?
amydfrom73

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:01 pm

Gemini wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:50 am The whole mess with the Juvenile Turf may never be fully explained. But... It was stated that Albahr had previous issues with the starting gate. Was there anything that could've been done differently? After this debacle, will he need to pass a gate test in order to race again?
https://twitter.com/godolphin/status/14 ... 1771672577
After seeing this, I have to wonder why they didn't use the gate blanket for Albahr. They knew before they left England that he had gate problems. Another what if.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Lone Rock takes the G2 1 5/8-mile Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance Stakes (formerly the BC Marathon) over Tizamagician, who tried to take the race all the way on the front.
I'm sad that the BC discarded a race that encourages stamina in our dirt horses. Just not enough demand, I guess, which is a bit depressing.
stark

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:10 pm

David Grening
@DRFGrening

In the BC Turf Sprint, Arrest Me Red is scratched. #15 Chaos Theory (a hunch bet if ever there was one) is in.

In the BC Turf. @FrankieDettori rides Bolshoi Ballet. @iradortiz rides Broome.
TapitsGal

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Corniche is listed as 6-1 in Vegas for the derby despite being ineligible
Flanders

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:04 pm I'm sad that the BC discarded a race that encourages stamina in our dirt horses. Just not enough demand, I guess, which is a bit depressing.
Its been a long time since the Breeders Cup ran it, it was only ran as the BC Marathon from 2008-2013. The BC discontinued the race when they said something along the lines of the race didn't attract a nice enough field.

I'm just glad that the host tracks of the Breeders Cup run the race as a permanent Breeders Cup undercard race so it moves around, is still ran on Breeders Cup day and is still ran at all, even if under another name.
stark

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:43 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:04 pm Lone Rock takes the G2 1 5/8-mile Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance Stakes (formerly the BC Marathon) over Tizamagician, who tried to take the race all the way on the front.
I'm sad that the BC discarded a race that encourages stamina in our dirt horses. Just not enough demand, I guess, which is a bit depressing.
Lone Rock just completed the 1 5/8 mile distance in R2 in 2:42.61, easily shattering the track record (2:45) set by Ormolu on August 24, 1957! ;)
stark

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:45 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:28 pm Corniche is listed as 6-1 in Vegas for the derby despite being ineligible
I don't think that the horse is ineligible.