Older horses 2024

Tessablue

Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:59 pm

Dirt is more exhausting to run on than grass, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Next is the best boy and looked like he was actively accelerating in the stretch. He's amazing! I know they keep saying that they want to keep him long... but come on, he could totally do 10f. Who out there is going to compete with him at that distance?

Edited to say that it looks like he had blood on his muzzle in the stretch, hopefully he just bit his tongue a little.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:08 pm

"Dirt is more exhausting to run on than grass, so it's not really a fair comparison."

That may be true, but the US racing on-air crews talk the same way about races on grass. Like...a mile-and-a-half is a marathon. :roll:
No...the 2-mile, 5 1/2-furlong Queen Alexandra Stakes at Royal Ascot is a MARATHON.
Squeaky

Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:28 pm

Tessablue wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:59 pm Dirt is more exhausting to run on than grass, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Next is the best boy and looked like he was actively accelerating in the stretch. He's amazing! I know they keep saying that they want to keep him long... but come on, he could totally do 10f. Who out there is going to compete with him at that distance?

Edited to say that it looks like he had blood on his muzzle in the stretch, hopefully he just bit his tongue a little.
So happy he won! I would love to see him try a mile and a quarter too. Also noticed the blood on his muzzle and a somewhat choppy gait coming back-hope all is well and he just bit his tongue. Jockey seemed to pull him up kind of quickly in the gallop out. Love this big grey! Has he ever raced 2 miles? Is there a 2 mile race in the US anymore?
Curtis

Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:14 pm

Squeaky wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:28 pm
Tessablue wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:59 pm Dirt is more exhausting to run on than grass, so it's not really a fair comparison.

So happy he won! I would love to see him try a mile and a quarter too. Also noticed the blood on his muzzle and a somewhat choppy gait coming back-hope all is well and he just bit his tongue. Jockey seemed to pull him up kind of quickly in the gallop out. Love this big grey! Has he ever raced 2 miles? Is there a 2 mile race in the US anymore?
Wasn’t Belmont carding a 16f turf race on Belmont Weekend………the Belmont Gold Cup? Maybe once Belmont is back so will that race.
Missbeholder

Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:52 pm

Curtis wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:14 pm

Wasn’t Belmont carding a 16f turf race on Belmont Weekend………the Belmont Gold Cup? Maybe once Belmont is back so will that race.
Gulfstream has a 2-mile turf stakes named for Allen Jerkens, but I don't recall when during the year that it's run. Gulfstream basically runs year around any more, so other than the Derby preps in February and March, it's kind of hard to keep track of what stakes are run when.

I can't think of any dirt races run at more than 12 furlongs anywhere, and the 12 furlong dirt races are becoming more and more rare.
Example: Santa Anita has run a "sisterhood" race with Japan called the Tokyo City Stakes actually since the late 50's, but it wasn't run at 12 furlongs until 2008, carrying a GIII rating. The problem is that last year it only had 4 runners........this year, it wasn't run at all. Guess it's pretty safe to assume that"another one bites the dust"!
Tessablue

Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:08 pm

Yes, the Belmont Gold Cup is 2 miles on the turf. And there are a couple of 12f+ dirt stakes. Next has already won them--the Birdstone (16f at Saratoga) and Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (G2, 15f, formerly the BC Dirt Marathon). It's sort of a chicken-and-egg scenario, because there aren't many races but there also aren't many horses running in the races that exist. Hard to tell who exactly is at fault for it.
Thumbsucker

Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:19 pm

Tessablue wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:08 pm Yes, the Belmont Gold Cup is 2 miles on the turf. And there are a couple of 12f+ dirt stakes. Next has already won them--the Birdstone (16f at Saratoga) and Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (G2, 15f, formerly the BC Dirt Marathon). It's sort of a chicken-and-egg scenario, because there aren't many races but there also aren't many horses running in the races that exist. Hard to tell who exactly is at fault for it.
You beat me to it. Next was a turf horse I wish they would consider running him on it again. I would to see him run in those European marathons. He's got enough speed to leave them gasping for air, because he isn't a plodder.
Last edited by Thumbsucker on Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squeaky

Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:21 pm

I wonder if Next could try turf next and run in some of those longer turf races?
Izvestia

Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:11 pm

Sounds like they want to keep running the mighty Next long, 4-5 races a year. No mention of turf races though.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-brooklyn
Tessablue

Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:04 pm

I can see their point about the quicker pace, and they certainly aren't likely to have a horse like this again. I understand why they'd want to stick to his wheelhouse and fear ruining him for the future. Just really feels like now is the time to give it a shot... maybe the JCGC field will come up light on speed, and they'll be tempted.

Red Route One runs down his longshot stablemate in the Cornhusker. There's an inquiry, but I don't think it will affect him. Favored Hit Show was nowhere; Cox had Dragoon Guard, but otherwise not a stellar day for him.
Izvestia

Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:16 am

Red Route One, although not the best, but certainly a very good racehorse, at 4 has made 21 starts. He seems to always pick up a cheque.
Curtis

Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:21 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:52 pm
Curtis wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:14 pm
Gulfstream has a 2-mile turf stakes named for Allen Jerkens, but I don't recall when during the year that it's run. Gulfstream basically runs year around any more, so other than the Derby preps in February and March, it's kind of hard to keep track of what stakes are run when.

I can't think of any dirt races run at more than 12 furlongs anywhere, and the 12 furlong dirt races are becoming more and more rare.
Example: Santa Anita has run a "sisterhood" race with Japan called the Tokyo City Stakes actually since the late 50's, but it wasn't run at 12 furlongs until 2008, carrying a GIII rating. The problem is that last year it only had 4 runners........this year, it wasn't run at all. Guess it's pretty safe to assume that"another one bites the dust"!
The Jerkens was carded last December. I was there that day. A monsoon hit and all races were moved to the Tapeta track. The Jerkens was announced shortened to 13f. Then it, and two more races, were cancelled as the severe rain was causing standing puddles to gather on the Tapeta. The drainage couldn’t keep up with the rain.
Northport

Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:47 pm

weeeeeeeee
Starine

Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:36 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:04 pm I can see their point about the quicker pace, and they certainly aren't likely to have a horse like this again. I understand why they'd want to stick to his wheelhouse and fear ruining him for the future. Just really feels like now is the time to give it a shot... maybe the JCGC field will come up light on speed, and they'll be tempted.
Oooh. If he and Arthur's Ride ran in the JCGC, I'd be thrilled.
Squeaky

Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:05 pm

Starine wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:36 pm
Tessablue wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:04 pm I can see their point about the quicker pace, and they certainly aren't likely to have a horse like this again. I understand why they'd want to stick to his wheelhouse and fear ruining him for the future. Just really feels like now is the time to give it a shot... maybe the JCGC field will come up light on speed, and they'll be tempted.
I think his trainer is worried about the fact that Next likes to stay close to the pace and if they go in :47 and 1:10 -11 that might be too fast for him to stay close. Would be interesting to look at the fractions of recent editions of the race. That being said, I would love to see him try and yes the 2 big grays coming down the stretch together would be a sight to see!
Starine

Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:44 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:05 pm
Starine wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:36 pm
I think his trainer is worried about the fact that Next likes to stay close to the pace and if they go in :47 and 1:10 -11 that might be too fast for him to stay close. Would be interesting to look at the fractions of recent editions of the race. That being said, I would love to see him try and yes the 2 big grays coming down the stretch together would be a sight to see!
That's a fair point. I understand the connections not wanting to fix what's broken; though they could always go back to the 12F+ races if he couldn't handle the waters in the JCGC.
Squeaky

Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:22 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:20 pm
brunanas wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:59 pm White Abarrio goes back to trainer Joseph; will point to John Nerud Stakes
https://www.drf.com/news/white-abarrio- ... rud-stakes
Now back with Saffie and recovering from unspecified illness after the Met Mile. Hope he recovers and comes back strong. Wonder if he picked it up in Saudi. Really wish they would let us know what is going on with him.
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/w ... ud-stakes/
Still recovering from an unspecified illness and bloodwork has not yet recovered. Why don’t they just send him to an equine hospital for a full work up? https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... llness_123
Flanders

Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:13 pm

Kabirkhan has been sent to a farm for a break after not training well. He might not make a start in the US afterall and is supposed to return to Dubai for the winter meet.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... n-the-road
Flanders

Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:16 pm

barbaro111 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:48 pm Tapit Trice is out of the 10th race: I was looking forward to seeing him race.
entered in the Monmouth Cup S(G3) on Saturday. Will he actually run or will this be the 3rd scratch in a row?
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... n-monmouth
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:43 pm

Tapit Trice wins the Monmouth Cup impressively over Highland Falls and Counterspy