Breeders Cup 2021 @ Del Mar

CorridorZ75

Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:18 pm

"CAW players are not winning, in as much as their wagering doesn't return 100% of the dollars wagered. They are losing less than their rebate. That's how they are winning. Of course that's how the vast majority of remaining winning players win. Nothing wrong with that, per se, just an explanation. The problem, of course, are tracks which have substantial CAW play, and if they are losing say 5%, they are still beating the takeout by roughly 15%, and thus raising effective takeout for regular players. This is the basic problem. It's grinding players out at a higher rate."

Like every other aspect of American economy these days.
Diver52

Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:21 am

Are breeders really so dim, that they would give Maxfield more credit for winning a race probably devoid of real G1 talent knowing that he skipped the BC? It's like the TVG commentaors always saying in short fields "A graded placing for a filly is so important." Now, I think Maxfield at this stage is a nice bargain Kentucky prospect, but not sure my breeding decisions (if I were lucky enough to have any) would be impacted by his performance in a probably depleted Clark.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Izvestia

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:24 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Squeaky wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:58 pm Maxfield will skip BC Classic and point for Clark instead as per HRN.
For 3 million dollars, I would have taken a chance at the Classic. I get that winning a G1 is a big deal, but let’s say Maxfield does win the Clark, is it really going to make a huge difference in how breeders look at him? Wouldn’t a big performance in the Classic mean more ?
I think they know 10 furlongs isn’t his best distance, so why have him run 5th or whatever. He’s a nice horse, but perhaps they are also indicating EQ is ready to run big too??? At least, that’s what I am hoping.
thinair

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 am

Diver52 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:21 am Are breeders really so dim, that they would give Maxfield more credit for winning a race probably devoid of real G1 talent knowing that he skipped the BC? It's like the TVG commentaors always saying in short fields "A graded placing for a filly is so important." Now, I think Maxfield at this stage is a nice bargain Kentucky prospect, but not sure my breeding decisions (if I were lucky enough to have any) would be impacted by his performance in a probably depleted Clark.
First Captain sold for $1.5 million two Summers ago in Saratoga with his "Stakes placed dam" America. She was a distant third in a couple of five horse Grade 1s ( the CCA Oaks, I believe, being one of them ). My guess is his confirmation, etc, played a bigger role but I did find it amusing when they kept talking about the dam as though she was some major talent. She was a bit of a plodder that sucked up for small pieces of relatively uncompetitive races. Not that she was bad, but she was intelligently campaigned to, basically, get to this point. First Captain turned out to be pretty good. Whether or not he is worth the $1.5 million, however, remains to be seen.

As for Maxfield, I agree, it's hard to believe winning the Clark will somehow elevate his appeal as a stallion. But, it won't hurt....and running fifth in the BC Classic won't help. However, will losing the Clark damage his value? I don't know the answer, but if someone determines that it will, I wonder if he will ultimately run there....or anywhere. Are we also sure he is being retired at the end of this year? Apparently Mystic Guide is not being retired. I guess it could hinge, at least a little bit, on whether or not Essential Quality gets retired....and maybe that depends on whether or not he wins the Classic.
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:20 pm

thinair wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 am
Diver52 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:21 am Are breeders really so dim, that they would give Maxfield more credit for winning a race probably devoid of real G1 talent knowing that he skipped the BC? It's like the TVG commentaors always saying in short fields "A graded placing for a filly is so important." Now, I think Maxfield at this stage is a nice bargain Kentucky prospect, but not sure my breeding decisions (if I were lucky enough to have any) would be impacted by his performance in a probably depleted Clark.
First Captain sold for $1.5 million two Summers ago in Saratoga with his "Stakes placed dam" America. She was a distant third in a couple of five horse Grade 1s ( the CCA Oaks, I believe, being one of them ). My guess is his confirmation, etc, played a bigger role but I did find it amusing when they kept talking about the dam as though she was some major talent. She was a bit of a plodder that sucked up for small pieces of relatively uncompetitive races. Not that she was bad, but she was intelligently campaigned to, basically, get to this point. First Captain turned out to be pretty good. Whether or not he is worth the $1.5 million, however, remains to be seen.

As for Maxfield, I agree, it's hard to believe winning the Clark will somehow elevate his appeal as a stallion. But, it won't hurt....and running fifth in the BC Classic won't help. However, will losing the Clark damage his value? I don't know the answer, but if someone determines that it will, I wonder if he will ultimately run there....or anywhere. Are we also sure he is being retired at the end of this year? Apparently Mystic Guide is not being retired. I guess it could hinge, at least a little bit, on whether or not Essential Quality gets retired....and maybe that depends on whether or not he wins the Classic.
If he wasn’t being retired, I’m not sure why BW would say they badly want to win a G1 with him this year? Maybe if response by breeders isn’t strong enough, they’ll keep him in training, but I wonder just how appealing Maxfield will be since he lacks speed. Not that he lacks appeal at all, just that I don’t think he will be the kind of sire prospect breeders run to breed to.

They retired Bernardini (I’m still 🤬) and he didn’t win the Classic....If they keep EQ I’d interested in knowing their reasons for doing so
Flanders

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm

thinair wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 am

I'm wondering if they'll retire Maxfield because of the soundness issues that have plagued him until this year. If they can win the Clark then they can advertise him as a MG1SW, right now he only has the one as a 2yo.
thinair

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:29 am

Flanders wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm
I'm wondering if they'll retire Maxfield because of the soundness issues that have plagued him until this year. If they can win the Clark then they can advertise him as a MG1SW, right now he only has the one as a 2yo.
He will probably be retired but why would they retire him when he's finally sound?
Flanders

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 pm

thinair wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:29 am
Flanders wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm
He will probably be retired but why would they retire him when he's finally sound?
The breeding world doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Sound 3yos are retired all the time. Sometimes Godolphin races horses til they are 4-5 before retiring them to stud, sometimes they retire them at 3. Just the way the article said, they really want him to have another G1 win, that made me think they intend to retire him.
stark

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:03 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 pm
The breeding world doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Sound 3yos are retired all the time. Sometimes Godolphin races horses til they are 4-5 before retiring them to stud, sometimes they retire them at 3. Just the way the article said, they really want him to have another G1 win, that made me think they intend to retire him.
Lots of things don't make sense when you've got $20BwithaBillion or so in the bank,
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Flanders

Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:49 am

Mishriff isn't coming for the Breeders Cup.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/m ... eders-cup/
KatieK101

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 am

Unfortunately, Bell's The One will skip the Breeders Cup and instead run in the Dream Supreme Stakes, one week later. I guess her owners don't want to take a shot against Gamine. Bummer.
Slewfan2

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 am Unfortunately, Bell's The One will skip the Breeders Cup and instead run in the Dream Supreme Stakes, one week later. I guess her owners don't want to take a shot against Gamine. Bummer.
That’s....unfortunate, which is not the word I really wanted to say. Leaving a breakdown aside, what’s the worst that can happen, that she lose? Run poorly in defeat as opposed to very well? Is it better to win a very minor stakes than place in the BC? Wow,
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:49 pm

This might be somewhat of an unusual question, but given the supply chain and shipping problems this year, does anyone know if these issues are affecting the Breeders Cup? I know of one domestic horse who is being shipped to Del Mar via FedEx instead of a more typical horse transportation company. I think the BC is arranging this flight, and no owners or trainers are permitted to fly on it. The BC has arranged for three "professional" grooms to fly on it.
WheresMyWhite

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Tex Sutton is currently without an aircraft if that is who you are thinking of for "more typical horse transportation". I don't think that Tex Sutton loosing access to the aircraft was a supply chain problem.

BC is working with FedEx (who has flown horses in the past) to help fulfill transportation needs for primarily IIRC the Win and You're In horses as well as other horses.

When Tex Sutton was flying horses, he could afford to be more flexible with who could fly with the horses. Because FedEx is flying the horses, they get to say who is allowed to be on the flight. FedEx is also a bit more limited with departure locations and times, I think there are two cities at least in the US that horses can leave from rather than when Tex Sutton was able to fly the horses and had more flexibility with departure cities and dates/times.
stark

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Slewfan2

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:44 pm

One issue I have with Bell’s connections ducking the BC is that it’s unfair to the horses who ran in her last race (which was a Win and You’re In) who DID hope to win a spot in the BC
tachyon

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Loves Only You(JPN) has arrived safely at Los Angeles today.
Her connections are still undecided which race, the Turf or the F&M Turf, she will run in.

photo: @keibakate
Flanders

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:55 pm

tachyon wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:24 pm Loves Only You(JPN) has arrived safely at Los Angeles today.
Her connections are still undecided which race, the Turf or the F&M Turf, she will run in.

photo: @keibakate
She is really cute. Her star almost looks like a seahorse. :)
TwilightTear

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:24 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 pm
KatieK101 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 am Unfortunately, Bell's The One will skip the Breeders Cup and instead run in the Dream Supreme Stakes, one week later. I guess her owners don't want to take a shot against Gamine. Bummer.
That’s....unfortunate, which is not the word I really wanted to say. Leaving a breakdown aside, what’s the worst that can happen, that she lose? Run poorly in defeat as opposed to very well? Is it better to win a very minor stakes than place in the BC? Wow,
If she wins the Dream Supreme, she will earn more than if she places at the Breeder's Cup. And her connections have previously expressed that they weren't thrilled with the travel situation. Put those together along with Gamine's dominance, and I'm not surprised her connections are choosing to stay home in Kentucky.
stark

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:56 am