2024 Belmont Stakes at Saratoga

Tessablue

Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:43 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:38 pm
Tessablue wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:49 pm Very confused by people saying that Gaffalione purposefully interfered with Sierra Leone... Protective dropped a horse in the Wood Memorial, and he is historically known to be erratic in the stretch. Seems a very odd narrative, unless Tyler is known to have a vengeful streak...?

Prat gave Sierra Leone pretty much the exact ride that Tyler would have, there just isn't any fixing that stride and he's going to lose races he should otherwise win because of his runstyle. Very good horse, but it is what it is.
People………giving specious information……….on the internet………..? I’m shocked and dismayed.
Michelle Yu said it on the post-race broadcast :/
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:51 pm

Consider the source.
Arts and Letters

Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:00 pm

The conspiracy theorists are running wild on social media that it was a Pletcher plot against Sierra Leone. :roll: Even if Mindframe broke in slightly, it wasn’t even close to hard enough to mug Honor Marie, who got it again in the stretch. Honor Marie is due for a clean trip and a big win.
Tessablue

Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:04 pm

I literally don't know anything about her.

Finally caught the head-on and Sierra Leone didn't lug in quite as badly as he has in the past, though he did still interfere with three horses in the stretch (certainly gave Protective a bit more than he got). He did respond quite willingly to Prat tugging him outside in the last eighth, but I really do think the problem is mechanical. And Mindframe broke straight; it was Sierra Leone who broke out and caused the contact, pinging back from Mindframe onto Honor Marie. So odd; Sierra Leone really didn't need any excuses in there. He ran well, as he does, and others ran well also.

Mindframe definitely drifted out because of Irad's left-hand whip, not sure if he would have gotten there had he run straight, but it sure didn't help. Really quite amazed by the race he ran in this third(!!) start. Bright future ahead of him, like with many of these.
Curtis

Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:24 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:04 pm I literally don't know anything about her.

Finally caught the head-on and Sierra Leone didn't lug in quite as badly as he has in the past, though he did still interfere with three horses in the stretch (certainly gave Protective a bit more than he got). He did respond quite willingly to Prat tugging him outside in the last eighth, but I really do think the problem is mechanical. And Mindframe broke straight; it was Sierra Leone who broke out and caused the contact, pinging back from Mindframe onto Honor Marie. So odd; Sierra Leone really didn't need any excuses in there. He ran well, as he does, and others ran well also.

Mindframe definitely drifted out because of Irad's left-hand whip, not sure if he would have gotten there had he run straight, but it sure didn't help. Really quite amazed by the race he ran in this third(!!) start. Bright future ahead of him, like with many of these.
She used to work for XBTV was fired for cause and now is back with the Santa Anita broadcast crew. A lot of the stuff you hear at the track is similar to what comes out of the end that kicks. I have found Muck Boots are needed when hearing Ms. Yu’s reporting.
mariasmon

Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:48 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:24 pm
Tessablue wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:04 pm I literally don't know anything about her.

She used to work for XBTV was fired for cause and now is back with the Santa Anita broadcast crew. A lot of the stuff you hear at the track is similar to what comes out of the end that kicks. I have found Muck Boots are needed when hearing Ms. Yu’s reporting.
What did she do to get fired? 👀
Curtis

Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:00 pm

mariasmon wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:48 pm
Curtis wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:24 pm

What did she do to get fired? 👀
It was something she said, Baroque remembers. She never, in my opinion, offered much more than fluff. Sometimes I wonder if she just makes stuff up. I just don’t pay much attention to her.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:06 pm

She also worked for TVG....and I heard that she was also let go 'for cause.'
Some of those 'causes' were pretty public, as she made remarks or expressed opinions while on air that were...um...not exactly PC. Like saying that a certain trainer of Asian heritage was doing pretty good 'for a dry cleaner.'
Or that female jockeys weren't ever as good as males. That opinion might not look so eye-rolling if it weren't for the fact that, at the time, she was dating a trainer and hammering him to stop using a female rider who had been winning for him....because she was a former girlfriend. Using your professional position as an on-air analyst to publicly grind a very personal ax is not, imo, professional behavior. To say nothing about how troubling it was to hear a FEMALE analyst happily trying to throw other women in racing under the bus.
She got reprimanded, but not let go.
Then (and I admit this was second-hand, but from a source I believed) she was on assignment at the track (think it was Hollywood), she LEFT without finishing her work.
Soon after, she was no longer working for TVG.
I was surprised when she started showing up on the Fox racing coverage. Maybe she has redeemed herself with more (much more, I hope) professional behavior, but I'm not much of a fan.
Tessablue

Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:43 pm

Well, those are rather appalling things to say. I won't profess to know anything about racing personalities besides the FS1/2 crew, but hopefully those sorts of comments won't be tolerated moving forward. I will say that this was the first time I've watched Rajiv Maragh on-air, and I thought he was a great addition. And really happy for Mig for getting the call on the national broadcast, he's just exceptional.

But anyways, what a great day. Non-TC handle record, some huge performances, everyone home safe. Great stuff.

(and one of the hugest performances was yesterday--Arthur's Ride got a 111 beyer for that romp. I know it's silly to say that he would have won the Suburban, but boy I hope we see more of that from him in the future)
HolyBull2436

Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:45 pm

Michelle has remained one of those have an opinion/experience/microphone will travel. From Santa Anita proper to extended TVG/FanDuel (Drool) and NYRA coverage when necessary. Case in point today. Whatever transgressions or verbal question marks are clearly in the past.

When it comes to the talking heads on competing platform coverage mechanisms at any given day, is there a general consensus of whom is good and maybe not good? It’s likely a different thread posting encompassing a wide range of opinions, so I’m sorry if I missed it outside of the TVG Changes posting thread.
MySaladDays

Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:45 am

HB1994 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:13 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:05 pm Also how awesome is it that Good Magic got a Kentucky Derby winner in his first crop and a Belmont Stakes winner in his second crop?
To be fair, they’re out of the same dam, so she deserves at least 50% of the credit. :D
Dornoch and Mage have Summer Squall, sire of their 3rd dam. And dornoch has double copy mare secretariats daughter weekend surprise up close...very classy pedigree.

I was a d fan from the beginning, played hinm in every race, was not getting off so i had dornoch (posted 3 places) as i am a big brown and puca fan..he had nightmare trip in ky derby and in bluegrass didnt let him run. Finally he is turnrned loose and he did battle with both stg then mindframe. Gargan did a beautiful job. Saez did great by the horse, too. I was so happy for the connections. I dont bet large so no huge benefit to me

As for sierra leone, love that horse, but he needs to be at farm, retraining + spa type and get himself staightened out. Mentally, psychologically too. I remember listening to Art Sherman explaining horses drifting and not running straight, he was very instructive explaining it.

Excuse for new jock was that former jock couldnt handle him.... well this new jock cant either. Right now SL could be dangerous out on a track...

I do hope his mouth is okay...that harsher bit was a hail mary...sl really needs some TIME and work. He deserves it and hope he gets it.
mariasmon

Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:57 am

MySaladDays wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:45 am
CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:05 pm Also how awesome is it that Good Magic got a Kentucky Derby winner in his first crop and a Belmont Stakes winner in his second crop?
To be fair, they’re out of the same dam, so she deserves at least 50% of the credit. :D
Dornoch and Mage have Summer Squall, sire of their 3rd dam. And dornoch has double copy mare secretariats daughter weekend surprise up close...very classy pedigree.

I was a d fan from the beginning, played hinm in every race, was not getting off so i had dornoch (posted 3 places) as i am a big brown and puca fan..he had nightmare trip in ky derby and in bluegrass didnt let him run. Finally he is turnrned loose and he did battle with both stg then mindframe. Gargan did a beautiful job. Saez did great by the horse, too. I was so happy for the connections. I dont bet large so no huge benefit to me

As for sierra leone, love that horse, but he needs to be at farm, retraining + spa type and get himself staightened out. Mentally, psychologically too. I remember listening to Art Sherman explaining horses drifting and not running straight, he was very instructive explaining it.

Excuse for new jock was that former jock couldnt handle him.... well this new jock cant either. Right now SL could be dangerous out on a track...

I do hope his mouth is okay...that harsher bit was a hail mary...sl really needs some TIME and work. He deserves it and hope he gets it.
Agree with everything you said here. I should've bet Dornoch, because I knew full well he hated being rated in the Blue Grass and was screwed from the 1 hole in the Derby.

Sierra Leone needs to go to boot camp. That $hit's dangerous.
mariasmon

Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:58 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:06 pm She also worked for TVG....and I heard that she was also let go 'for cause.'
Some of those 'causes' were pretty public, as she made remarks or expressed opinions while on air that were...um...not exactly PC. Like saying that a certain trainer of Asian heritage was doing pretty good 'for a dry cleaner.'
Or that female jockeys weren't ever as good as males. That opinion might not look so eye-rolling if it weren't for the fact that, at the time, she was dating a trainer and hammering him to stop using a female rider who had been winning for him....because she was a former girlfriend. Using your professional position as an on-air analyst to publicly grind a very personal ax is not, imo, professional behavior. To say nothing about how troubling it was to hear a FEMALE analyst happily trying to throw other women in racing under the bus.
She got reprimanded, but not let go.
Then (and I admit this was second-hand, but from a source I believed) she was on assignment at the track (think it was Hollywood), she LEFT without finishing her work.
Soon after, she was no longer working for TVG.
I was surprised when she started showing up on the Fox racing coverage. Maybe she has redeemed herself with more (much more, I hope) professional behavior, but I'm not much of a fan.
All I can say is, yikes :oops:
MySaladDays

Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:00 am

stark wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:07 pm
djnorth wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:04 pm
MySaladDays wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:26 pm

Part of that moniker is the big sandy and wide sweeping turns at Belmont and doing it at 12F.

None of which applies to a shortened race on the completely diff. SAR track however.
Actually Saratoga is the "Graveyard of Favorites." See Man o' War, Secretariat, American Pharoah, et al.
https://www.saratogaracetrack.com/about ... champions/
Oh yeah, saratoga does have that moniker.

I was thinking of the Belmont Stakes race itself, called the "test of champions."

I will be more specific next time i use those phrases, thank you for pointing it out.
MySaladDays

Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:30 am

mariasmon wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:57 am
MySaladDays wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:45 am

Agree with everything you said here. I should've bet Dornoch, because I knew full well he hated being rated in the Blue Grass and was screwed from the 1 hole in the Derby.

Sierra Leone needs to go to boot camp. That $hit's dangerous.
Yeah when mystik dan almost bashed him into the rail in the derby i just forgave dornoch that race as well as the bluegrass. Up until March, dornoch ran 1st or 2nd in every race, was on tip of everyones tongue, then he runs out in 2 races and the fans dump him. LOL. I always say gamblers can be perfidious whereas i often remain loyal to horses i like.

Another comment i have is about mindframe. I was off him because of pletcher's dismal record of alwsys lasixed horses going into non-lasix races. His record really is bad on that stat.

But aside from that, i think throwing him into graded stakes at this level so early looks a bit like a race to a G1 for what is obviouly a precocious colt, so he can get to the brèeding shed by time his 3 years is up.

So, i will be interested to see how far past 3 years old he makes it on the track. I would like to have seen him take it slower, and people will say but he ran 2nd. Well , he IS precious, and that recipe often does not end up with what could be a very nice career as a 4 year old. Cuz we've seen it too many times.

Hard to develop a following with horses who have such abbreviated careers.
TapitsGal

Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:28 am

I saw someone on one of the racing articles comments section say that Seize the Grey was clearly entered as a rabbit for dornoch. I just shook my head. They aren't even trained by the same people. Seize the Grey was on his FOURTH race in eleven weeks and was TIRED. After the Preakness win people were really pushing for him to skip the Belmont and target the Jim dandy or Travers. But I knew because it's lukas..that wasn't happening. At least he will get a short rest now while his next race is chosen
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:50 am

Let's talk about how that one guy (don't know the name just the voice) called Dornoch a filly after the race :lol:
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:51 am

TapitsGal wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:28 am I saw someone on one of the racing articles comments section say that Seize the Grey was clearly entered as a rabbit for dornoch. I just shook my head. They aren't even trained by the same people. Seize the Grey was on his FOURTH race in eleven weeks and was TIRED. After the Preakness win people were really pushing for him to skip the Belmont and target the Jim dandy or Travers. But I knew because it's lukas..that wasn't happening. At least he will get a short rest now while his next race is chosen
They also obviously don't know what a rabbit means :lol: That would be the stupidest plan on the planet to enter a rabbit for another front runner that could possibly burn your own front running horse out. Dornoch's camp didn't know that STG's camp would tire, they just hoped that he would or that Dornoch would out battle him/out run him to the wire.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:52 am

Mylute wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:50 am Let's talk about how that one guy (don't know the name just the voice) called Dornoch a filly after the race :lol:
I heard that and was immediately like "did they just say 'a filly in the Belmont'?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flanders

Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:59 am

At first I was caught off guard by it as well. He was reusing Durkin's "A filly in the Belmont", from when Rags to Riches won. But he meant "Philly" cause Jayson Werth, one of Dornoch's owners, won the World Series with the Philadelphia Phillies. I think he thought he was being clever but truth I don't know much about MLB and I would imagine a lot of horse racing fans don't either.