2024 Three Year Olds

CoronadosQuest

Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:44 pm

Curtis wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:39 pm
Squeaky wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:54 am Three sons of Arrogate nominated to PA Derby: Seize the Grey, Dragoon Guard, and one of my favorites Pandagate. Hope they all run well if they go.
Is the multitudinous throng that owns Seize the Grey not considering the Goodwood—Awesome Again—California Crown? I thought there was some new fangled bonus for which he and only he was eligible?
No, they are not considering the California Crown.
Curtis

Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:53 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:44 pm
Squeaky wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:54 am Three sons of Arrogate nominated to PA Derby: Seize the Grey, Dragoon Guard, and one of my favorites Pandagate. Hope they all run well if they go.
Is the multitudinous throng that owns Seize the Grey not considering the Goodwood—Awesome Again—California Crown? I thought there was some new fangled bonus for which he and only he was eligible?
Having watched the Pacific Classic, it’s probably an easier spot. I coulda swore I saw a tortoise being ridden by a snail pass Mixto just before the wire.
CoronadosQuest

Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:13 pm

Curtis wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:53 pm

Having watched the Pacific Classic, it’s probably an easier spot. I coulda swore I saw a tortoise being ridden by a snail pass Mixto just before the wire.
I believe National Treasure is being pointed there, if I remember correctly, and so is Muth so maybe not :lol:
Curtis

Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:53 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:13 pm
Curtis wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:53 pm

I believe National Treasure is being pointed there, if I remember correctly, and so is Muth so maybe not :lol:
If National Treasure goes, Muth will most likely go to PARX. If that happens, the race to the first turn will likely be the whole race. After watching the Pat O’Brien, The Senor needs serious heat up front and I don’t know that he’s a given even with that. If I were the throng, I’d go with the West Coast Pah-tee, the Dirt Mile—brought to you by Sir-Mix-A-Lot—and then the Pegasus. But I’m just a humble observer and an impudent raconteur.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:03 pm

Uno Mas Bourbon (Macho Uno) wins the Super Derby
CoronadosQuest

Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:10 pm

Spendthrift will be retiring Dornoch after the Breeder's Cup. Figured but meh

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... eeders-cup
Izvestia

Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:54 am

CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:10 pm Spendthrift will be retiring Dornoch after the Breeder's Cup. Figured but meh

Ho hum. Don’t care how he finishes now.
Curtis

Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:51 am

Izvestia wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:54 am
CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:10 pm Spendthrift will be retiring Dornoch after the Breeder's Cup. Figured but meh

I’d like to see him finish sound.
Palace Malice

Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:23 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Essential Quality

Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:02 pm

Fierceness is back on the work tab, worked 4 furlongs in 50.66 with a promising filly in Fade to Grey.
stark

Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:11 pm

I see things thru a different lens....

Back a couple of years at the Keeneland September sale, somebody wrote a check for $325,000. At that time they held a family meeting and said, geesh, I hope this works out, wouldn't it be wonderful if he could win something like $2 1/2 MILLION dollars, with the possibility of a BC check on top of it all in 2024? Mission accomplished IMHO.

And then there was that day at the FasigTipton Select Yearling sale where somebody wrote a check for $500,000. At that time they had a family meeting and said geesh, I hope this works out. Wouldn't it be wonderful if he could win over $5 MILLION dollars with the possibility of a BC check on top of it all in 2024? Mission accomplished IMHO.

Congrats to the connections of both Dornach and National Treasure, well done in this very difficult sport of ours.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
sweettalk

Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:25 pm

unless they are injured/sick, or really fall off form for some reason, i just can't get behind retiring a 3yr old. they aren't even necessarily "safer" once retired, so if they are healthy and competitive, i'd really prefer too see the horse race. horse breeding isn't a very exciting sport and especially for stallions can heavily flirt w animal abuse

i get what stark is saying, i just don't super agree retiring a fit, competitive horse who's barely 4. it is indeed quite difficult to get your hands on a legit race horse, and it's a bummer to see owners saying winning these big races w a horse they could barely afford is such a thrill, only to turn around and retire early. guess the stud checks are a bigger thrill. #Grateful4Geldings
stark

Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:05 pm

sweettalk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:25 pm unless they are injured/sick, or really fall off form for some reason, i just can't get behind retiring a 3yr old. they aren't even necessarily "safer" once retired, so if they are healthy and competitive, i'd really prefer too see the horse race. horse breeding isn't a very exciting sport and especially for stallions can heavily flirt w animal abuse

i get what stark is saying, i just don't super agree retiring a fit, competitive horse who's barely 4. it is indeed quite difficult to get your hands on a legit race horse, and it's a bummer to see owners saying winning these big races w a horse they could barely afford is such a thrill, only to turn around and retire early. guess the stud checks are a bigger thrill. #Grateful4Geldings
And I'll go even one step further recognizing that it's a game of risk vs. reward.

Once the ink is dry on the shed contract, I wouldn't be running anymore, can't hold my breath for 2 minutes.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:22 pm

sweettalk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:25 pm unless they are injured/sick, or really fall off form for some reason, i just can't get behind retiring a 3yr old. they aren't even necessarily "safer" once retired, so if they are healthy and competitive, i'd really prefer too see the horse race. horse breeding isn't a very exciting sport and especially for stallions can heavily flirt w animal abuse

I also think its hard to attract new followers to the sport when the stars retire after a handful of starts. Do Japanese horses retire at 3 this often?
Flanders

Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:52 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:22 pm

I also think its hard to attract new followers to the sport when the stars retire after a handful of starts. Do Japanese horses retire at 3 this often?
They don't but its very different. The best almost always are going to Northern Farm/Shadai at the ends of their racing careers. There aren't stud farms fighting over them and the mares aren't being sold at the end of the racing season at some huge auction.
Northport

Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:04 pm

stark wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:11 pm

Back a couple of years at the Keeneland September sale, somebody wrote a check for $325,000. At that time they held a family meeting and said, geesh, I hope this works out, wouldn't it be wonderful if he could win something like $2 1/2 MILLION dollars, with the possibility of a BC check on top of it all in 2024? Mission accomplished IMHO.

And then there was that day at the FasigTipton Select Yearling sale where somebody wrote a check for $500,000. At that time they had a family meeting and said geesh, I hope this works out. Wouldn't it be wonderful if he could win over $5 MILLION dollars with the possibility of a BC check on top of it all in 2024? Mission accomplished IMHO.

Congrats to the connections of both Dornach and National Treasure, well done in this very difficult sport of ours.
I mean, National Treasure is literally owned by a syndicate of billionaires whose sole intent is to produce stallions. Not sure if all 15-20 of them had to have a family meeting when the $500,000 was divvied up. Yes, one horse has to hit it big to pay for the many others they buy each year, but to paint them as risking it all on their racehorse to stallion pipeline just isn’t true.

I’ve met a couple of the partners in the *~*avengers*~*, they’re nice guys, but they aren’t wringing their hands, saying aw geeze I hope this works out. They’re guys with money who want more money and some thrills along the way.

All that being said, least we got to see National Treasure race at 4.

Re: Dornoch, as soon as he got the first G1 win, his fate was sealed. He’s just too well bred to keep racing. It’s annoying but I do get it.

People here complain when geldings win big races, but who else can you get attached to as a fan? I’m all in on Calandagan and Goliath.
weeeeeeeee
stark

Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:21 pm

Northport wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:04 pm
stark wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:11 pm

I mean, National Treasure is literally owned by a syndicate of billionaires whose sole intent is to produce stallions. Not sure if all 15-20 of them had to have a family meeting when the $500,000 was divvied up. Yes, one horse has to hit it big to pay for the many others they buy each year, but to paint them as risking it all on their racehorse to stallion pipeline just isn’t true.

I’ve met a couple of the partners in the *~*avengers*~*, they’re nice guys, but they aren’t wringing their hands, saying aw geeze I hope this works out. They’re guys with money who want more money and some thrills along the way.

All that being said, least we got to see National Treasure race at 4.

Re: Dornoch, as soon as he got the first G1 win, his fate was sealed. He’s just too well bred to keep racing. It’s annoying but I do get it.

People here complain when geldings win big races, but who else can you get attached to as a fan? I’m all in on Calandagan and Goliath.
Oops, my bad. Sorry, I forgot that some people have too much money.
Flanders

Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:32 pm

As soon as a stallion deal is done, we aren't going to see the horse the next year. Even when its written in the contract that they are supposed to race at 4, they all mysteriously get injured or are retired anyway.

Its either a horse with a pedigree that no one wants to stand or one of the few sporting owners that have so much money they will race them but that doesn't happen often. Juddmonte will race their horses, Zedan races his but they never stay together long enough to actually truly campaign at 4. Godolphin does sometimes but sometimes they don't. Essential Quality was a "has nothing left to prove" retired at 3.
Izvestia

Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:11 pm

Curtis wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:51 am
Izvestia wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:54 am

I’d like to see him finish sound.
Don’t particularly feel the need to say that because I love horses and I am not an a**hole. We all want them to finish sound.
othybat_99

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:47 pm

Derby Winner Mystik Dan Resumes Training at Magdalena

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -magdalena
“I play a little guitar, write a few tunes, make a few movies, but none of that's really me. The real me is something else.” - George Harrison