Justify to be disqualified from SA Derby

brunanas

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:33 pm

Judge Orders Stewards To Disqualify Justify From 2018 Santa Anita Derby Victory
https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/ ... y-victory/

Ruis Racing LLC on Friday announced a significant legal victory against the California Horse Racing Board. Represented by attorneys, Carlo Fisco and Darrell Vienna, Ruis Racing LLC obtained an order from Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Mitchell L. Beckloff directing the California Horse Racing Board stewards to set aside their Dec. 9, 2020, decision and issue a new ruling disqualifying Justify from the 2018 Santa Anita Derby (G1).

there's still the possibility of the CHRB appealing the ruling, but not sure that will happen.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
flytpthestars

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:36 pm

An asterisk on the Ky Derby win. These type of things should be resolved days after each pointenld races, not years later
Akitaperson

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:45 pm

Honestly this type of stuff should be handled far far quicker then this. Kinda like the race Forte came back hot in.
brunanas

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:50 pm

flytpthestars wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:36 pm An asterisk on the Ky Derby win. These type of things should be resolved days after each pointenld races, not years later
the problem is the CHRB protects Baffert and disqualifying him when the positive was confirmed (and after due process) he'd already have won the Derby anyways. maybe he'd be disqualified from the Derby then (as he wouldn't have been eligible) and the CHRB wouldn't want that. plus the positive wasn't ever supposed to come out anyways.
she/her
brunanas

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:51 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:45 pm Honestly this type of stuff should be handled far far quicker then this. Kinda like the race Forte came back hot in.
Forte's positive took way longer than it should've to come out too, tbf
she/her
brunanas

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:52 pm

brunanas wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:50 pm
flytpthestars wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:36 pm An asterisk on the Ky Derby win. These type of things should be resolved days after each pointenld races, not years later
the problem is the CHRB protects Baffert and disqualifying him when the positive was confirmed (and after due process) he'd already have won the Derby anyways. maybe he'd be disqualified from the Derby then (as he wouldn't have been eligible) and the CHRB wouldn't want that. plus the positive wasn't ever supposed to come out anyways.
PS: i believe the same would've been done i.e. by the NYRA if a Pletcher horse tested positive in their own only prep. each comission with their golden boys.
she/her
Tessablue

Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:20 pm

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The CHRB should have just followed their own rules, and failing that, should have owned up to it. Thank goodness we have HIWU now, it's so nice to actually hear about these things and see immediate consequences for them.

Now the question is, will CDI take the high road or...
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:43 pm

Why TF hasn't Maximum Security been DQ'd from the Saudi Cup?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:47 pm

So do all the other horses that they didn't DQ get DQ'd as well? Cause Justify wasn't the only horse during that spring that had a positive.
Flanders

Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:48 pm

Mylute wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:43 pm Why TF hasn't Maximum Security been DQ'd from the Saudi Cup?
I think they want to keep it in "we are still deciding" so they don't have to pay the 10m to anyone. Just cause they said they were waiting to see what happened in court and that was months and months and months ago.
brunanas

Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:14 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:47 pm So do all the other horses that they didn't DQ get DQ'd as well? Cause Justify wasn't the only horse during that spring that had a positive.
well they should. but they're only DQing Justify because they were forced to. they likely won't disqualify the rest. and imho, they never disqualify the others because then people would be like (rightfully so) "why did they disqualify every horse but Justify?", though the opposite is also true.
Last edited by brunanas on Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her
brunanas

Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:16 pm

Tessablue wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:20 pm Now the question is, will CDI take the high road or...
absolutely not. they won't even try. if Bob still hasn't let Medina Spirit's DQ rest and he ran 3rd in the Preakness and never ran in the Belmont (and it goes without mentioning that he is deceased, so there is no stud value/reputation to be gained), he will never let them disqualify a Triple Crown winner based off a positive in a non-Triple Crown race. should they disqualify him? yes. but there's no point in even trying. it'd be suicide.
she/her
Tessablue

Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:34 pm

brunanas wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:16 pm
Tessablue wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:20 pm Now the question is, will CDI take the high road or...
absolutely not. they won't even try. if Bob still hasn't let Medina Spirit's DQ rest and he ran 3rd in the Preakness and never ran in the Belmont (and it goes without mentioning that he is deceased, so there is no stud value/reputation to be gained), he will never let them disqualify a Triple Crown winner based off a positive in a non-Triple Crown race. should they disqualify him? yes. but there's no point in even trying. it'd be suicide.
As a counterpoint, they have a lot more money than he does, and it's not like any of his challenges have accomplished anything. It might give the TC a bit of verve back, and it's not like Justify's stud fee is going down any time soon. I'm not sure how many people beyond the historians and advertisers would care at this point.
brunanas

Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:20 pm

Tessablue wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:34 pm
brunanas wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:16 pm
As a counterpoint, they have a lot more money than he does, and it's not like any of his challenges have accomplished anything. It might give the TC a bit of verve back, and it's not like Justify's stud fee is going down any time soon. I'm not sure how many people beyond the historians and advertisers would care at this point.
but this would be insane. it'd be stripping a Triple Crown - so it's not even up to them alone, i guess - and money might not matter in this case because the second they'd be like "let's disqualify him" (because this wouldn't go without a hearing) he'd already lawyer up and block them. again, it's the right thing to do, but it will never happen.
she/her
Miss Woodford

Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:46 am

Then you'd have to open the can of worms of what other Triple Crown winners (and indeed, Derby winners in general) may or may not have been on. It's common knowledge that Sir Barton was on cocaine and other concoctions to keep him running on his sore hooves. Not to mention the old Secretariat-steroids rumors. I suppose it's a little different when the substance in question was still legal (idk about the rules in the late 1910s) but if we're going back and stripping horses of wins 5 years after the fact what exactly is the statute of limitations?
TapitsGal

Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:02 am

And he rightfully should be. And it honestly should have happened immediately after the race when the split sample was confirmed. Never should have been swept under the rug with the stewards hoping that nobody noticed. Mick Ruis did the right thing pursuing this..it sucks for Justify because he will always have that blemish on his record and Justify is the innocent one in all this..but it's the right move to make
Flanders

Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:47 am

They aren't going to DQ him from the Kentucky Derby. Hell 5 years from now the SA Derby case will still be going on. They'll keep appealing forever. I mean I just saw an article from a couple days ago that said Asmussen is fighting 2 drug positives from 2018, even though it was ruled on I think multiple times, he just keeps appealing. And I do think it would matter to Coolmore, Winstar, and CHC. I don't think anyone is touching this beyond what is ongoing.
Akitaperson

Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:03 am

Well the lovely jokers known as Peta are now wanting his derby and tc title to be stripped and since folks give them way to much leeway it might happen

https://twitter.com/BklynBckstretch/sta ... ocRLQ&s=19
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:25 am

IIRC the CHRB explained that the reason they swept Justify's SA Derby positive under the rug was because, "we don't want to hurt the horse uwu."

Yeah, sure. They're sure quick to DQ horses from other trainers who test positive for smaller amounts.

They won't even revoke an Eclipse award from a horse whose trainer is currently sitting in prison on federal dope charges he pleased guilty to. They won't take a TC away.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Justahorse

Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:27 am

Mylute wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:25 am IIRC the CHRB explained that the reason they swept Justify's SA Derby positive under the rug was because, "we don't want to hurt the horse uwu."

Yeah, sure. They're sure quick to DQ horses from other trainers who test positive for smaller amounts.

They won't even revoke an Eclipse award from a horse whose trainer is currently sitting in prison on federal dope charges he pleased guilty to. They won't take a TC away.
Yep