Sires Trivia

Miesque1973

Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:20 pm

tachyon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:58 am
Miesque1973 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:35 pm
This one might be a little more obscure.

This winner of the German Derby and German 2000 Guineas sired nine classic winners in Germany and two in Italy.
Ummmmm....

is he Konigsstuhl?

I looked at the past German Classic winners first.
I see that Koningsstuhl is one of the 21 horses who achieved the German 2000 Guineas and the German Derby double since 1881 along with Bauernfanger, Trachenberg, Potrimpos, Peter, Landgraf, Augias, Alba, Sturmvogel, Orgelton, Wehr Dich, Magnat, Neckar, Mangon, Allasch, Kilometer, Orsini, Herero, Orofino, Philipo, Lavirco.
I know that Koningsstuhl is responsible as the sire for seven Classic winners with nine Classic victories in Germany.
But I don't have the list of Italian Classic winners....
Neckar is noted, and is the correct one. :)

This aptly-named American-bred (and really very pretty chestnut) son of Northern Dancer sired three Scandinavian classic winners and one Spanish classic winner.
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
tachyon

Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:40 pm

Miesque1973 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:20 pm
tachyon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:58 am
Miesque1973 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:35 pm
This one might be a little more obscure.

This winner of the German Derby and German 2000 Guineas sired nine classic winners in Germany and two in Italy.
Ummmmm....

is he Konigsstuhl?

I looked at the past German Classic winners first.
I see that Koningsstuhl is one of the 21 horses who achieved the German 2000 Guineas and the German Derby double since 1881 along with Bauernfanger, Trachenberg, Potrimpos, Peter, Landgraf, Augias, Alba, Sturmvogel, Orgelton, Wehr Dich, Magnat, Neckar, Mangon, Allasch, Kilometer, Orsini, Herero, Orofino, Philipo, Lavirco.
I know that Koningsstuhl is responsible as the sire for seven Classic winners with nine Classic victories in Germany.
But I don't have the list of Italian Classic winners....
Neckar is noted, and is the correct one. :)
Thanks! :D
I couldn't find much information about Neckar(GER).
I don't speak German.
But he must have been a great stallion, even if his own sire-line seems to have already died out now (?).
And, once again, I couldn't find any list of Classic winners in Italy on the internet.
I just saw that Neckar's daughter Tadolina(ITY) won the Italian Oaks in 1965.
Miesque1973

Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:14 pm

Pedigree Query's stakes database has Italy's Triple Crown race histories.

The answer to the last trivia question was Viking, a 1977 son of Northern Dancer. He sired Veduwa, 1989 (Dansk Derby, Svenskt St Leger); King Ceed, 1990 (Dansk St Leger, Svenskt St Leger); Dorking, 1989 (Norsk St Leger) and Sibarito, 1988 (Premio Villamejor - Spanish St Leger)

Next trivia question:

This son of Sadler's Wells, foaled in 1993, emulated his sire by becoming a classic sire himself, with sons and daughters winning Triple Crown races in Venezuela. Two of his sons won the Venezuelan Triple Crown, while a daughter swept the Venezuelan Filly Triple Crown. Even more, two of his sons also sired multiple classic winners in Venezuela.

~Miesque
stelladaniella

Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:50 am

Miesque1973 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:14 pm Pedigree Query's stakes database has Italy's Triple Crown race histories.

The answer to the last trivia question was Viking, a 1977 son of Northern Dancer. He sired Veduwa, 1989 (Dansk Derby, Svenskt St Leger); King Ceed, 1990 (Dansk St Leger, Svenskt St Leger); Dorking, 1989 (Norsk St Leger) and Sibarito, 1988 (Premio Villamejor - Spanish St Leger)

Next trivia question:

This son of Sadler's Wells, foaled in 1993, emulated his sire by becoming a classic sire himself, with sons and daughters winning Triple Crown races in Venezuela. Two of his sons won the Venezuelan Triple Crown, while a daughter swept the Venezuelan Filly Triple Crown. Even more, two of his sons also sired multiple classic winners in Venezuela.

~Miesque
I was looking through books, articles, like a crazy person, cause I couldn't figure out who it was. Till I realized I was looking at sons of Native Dancer, not Northern Dancer. :lol:

As per the son of Sadler's Wells; it's gotta be Water Poet, yeah?
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Miesque1973

Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:26 am

I was looking through books, articles, like a crazy person, cause I couldn't figure out who it was. Till I realized I was looking at sons of Native Dancer, not Northern Dancer. :lol:

As per the son of Sadler's Wells; it's gotta be Water Poet, yeah?
You are correct! :)

Water Poet, 1993, sired:

MR ANGELO, 2003 (Clásico José Antonio Páez)
TACONEO, 2004 (Clásico José Antonio Páez, Clásico Cría Nacional ,Clásico República de Venezuela)
BAMBERA, 2006 (Clásico José Antonio Páez, Clásico República de Venezuela, Clásico Hipódromo La Rinconada, Clásico Prensa Hípica Nacional, Clásico General Joaquín Crespo)
WATER JET, 2007 (Clásico José Antonio Páez, Clásico Cría Nacional, Clásico República de Venezuela)
AGUILA NEGRA, 2000 (Clásico Cría Nacional, Clásico República de Venezuela)
TONYSERAF, 2008 (Clásico Cría Nacional)
MANCHESTER, 2012 (Clásico República de Venezuela)
COLOSSUS, 2019 (Clásico José Antonio Páez)
PENCAPINTA, 2004 (Clásico Hipódromo La Rinconada, Clásico General Joaquín Crespo)
KIRA, 2005 (Clásico Hipódromo La Rinconada, Clásico General Joaquín Crespo)
BLUE MOON, 2010 (Clásico Hipódromo La Rinconada)

I've moved on to the Caribbean now. Not literally. I mean I'm looking up sirelines of Triple Crown race winners in the Caribbean (Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad). Not always the easiest of tasks, but it's still interesting and fun.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:00 pm

Next trivia question:

This stallion, sired by an ill-starred champion who was a victim of Soviet brutality, sired no less than nine classic winners in the former East Germany/DDR (aka, 'that place where you were 'free' so long as you didn't try to escape')

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:47 pm

Miesque1973 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:00 pm Next trivia question:

This stallion, sired by an ill-starred champion who was a victim of Soviet brutality, sired no less than nine classic winners in the former East Germany/DDR (aka, 'that place where you were 'free' so long as you didn't try to escape')

~Miesque
We have no winner.

The horse in question is:

BIRKHAHN, 1945 (winner of Frühjahrszuchtpreis der Dreijährigen, Derby der DDR)
Sired by Alchimist, who was machine-gunned to death by the Soviets because he refused to get in their truck as they were were trying to steal him from the Germans. Frankly, any time a Bolshevik tells you get in their truck, you're not going any place nice.
Sired:
PIETRO, 1955 (Frühjahrszuchtpreis der Dreijährigen)
FESTON, 1953 (Derby der DDR)
FOLIANT, 1959 (Derby der DDR)
FLORENTINE, 1955 (Großer Preis des Volkseigenen Gestütes Graditz)
GROLLE, 1957 (Großer Preis des Volkseigenen Gestütes Graditz)
AMATIA, 1961 (Großer Preis des Volkseigenen Gestütes Graditz, Großer Stutenpreis der Dreijährige)
ANAKDOTE, 1962 (Großer Preis des Volkseigenen Gestütes Graditz)
IPHIGENIA, 1952 (Großer Stutenpreis der Dreijährige)
INGELINE, 1953 (Großer Stutenpreis der Dreijährige)

By the way, I have COVID, so I'm stuck at home 'til Wednesday. I don't feel all that bad, but I've got a stuffy nose, a bad cough that comes and goes, and I get very tired very quickly. So I do a bit of work on my projections and then I can't spell any more and I go lie down.

Anyway, I'm in Southeastern Europe now (history-searchwise), and will zero in on sires that enjoyed great success in that part of world.

So... what stallion sired a staggering 20 classic winners Czechoslovakia (and was sired by a stallion who threw eleven in his own right), and left a non-classic winning son who has seven of his own in... um... Czechia? Czech Republic?

I'm so confused, and I have COVID. So thinking today is kind of 50-50. Anyway, the one with seven so far has a decent chance of continuing the Bayardo line forward, even if they're big fish in a little pond, so to speak.

I'm so sleepy...

~Miesque